Going for a ride on my push bike and 5 dogs blocking the way

ghworker2010

Ive found a nice quiet road to ride my push bike down. It has views of rice fields. I found it yesterday and saw some dogs ahead. I slowed down and they all started to surround me barking and carrying on.

I managed to get past them and it was the same on the way back. I kept quiet and stood my ground for a minute or so at one point.

I really want to do this ride everyday and need suggestions on how to deal with these fury friends. Should I be bribing them with food each time.

Its a pain in the *ss if I have a pack trying to chase me each time. Does anybody know if city hall can do anything about it

cheers

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find these packs of dogs intimidating, don't like them at all in these groups. I don't think I would try the idea of bribing them with food, think you might end up with more problems, your call on that idea.

Have never heard of any local authorities dealing with dog packs, in the countryside, or even here in BKK.

Maybe they won't be there every time you cycle by. Good luck!!!!

pIf throwing dog food does not work (try a couple of cheap cut up in small pieces hotdogs ). Or put a plastic bag on the handle bars and stow a can of wasp spray - the ones with the 8-9" micro tube ... a good spray will screw up their sensitive nostrils and cause them to have an aversion to your approach.

When exercise walking in the countryside in the States I got a good sling shot and some 1/2" hexnuts - a big bag full ... If I hit one of them it would go yelping off -- but I found out just coming close was good enough -- the hexnut evidently creates a ultrasonic and even sonic whistle as it goes by them -- this causes an aversion reaction next time... It got to the point - if I just raised my arms in firing position they would run away and hide - even without the sling shot in hand.. Pavlovian training ... 555

(I know the Brits call a sling shot something else - but you know what I mean)...

Edited by JDGRUEN

I believe the carrot and stick approach works the best.

Maybe start with the dog food approach, but that may take several trips for them to realise you are a friend and not foe. See how that works.

I have a friend who lives in Bkk but goes out to her village near Kanchanaburi often. I went with her once and suggested we go for a walk. After about 5 minutes the dogs were up to us barking and growling. She just picked up a bunch of rocks and threw them at the dogs and they let us go.

Maybe carry dog food on one side of the bike and rocks on the other and see which works best.

• Like 1

City hall, LOL. I'd carry some pieces of dry dog food and throw it in a scattering pattern as they approached. Soon they'll learn and look for the food and won't be after you personally any more.

I could tell you some mean things to do to get rid of them but life is too short. Be happy.

Not intending to be rude by quoting my own post, but note above that villagefarang "liked" it.

In addition to being the best photographer on this forum, he's also an avid bicycle rider and combines the two hobbies. If he liked it, it's worth giving it a shot. It works for me but only after several passes - when the dogs learn.

• Like 1

I found the best thing is just to ride slowly through them. Not easy I know but the faster you go the more they chase. They will probably ignore you after a few days.

This always works for me too. It's the exact opposite of what you feel like doing but it has never failed me. Yet...

I've had similar problems in Bangkok and now while living in the sticks.

I've tried all sorts.... Even bought one of those whistles that is supposed to annoy them....

The only thing that works for me is to be aggressive back.... If they start howling, barking and carrying on, I just go slightly berserk, throw out some expletives and generally look like a raging maniac.....

They stop their carrying on but internally in their own little dog world they are probably saying "clazy falang, Wuf".... I know it's what the locals say.

Also, as I spend more time in nakon nowhere I know curse in Thai so they definitely get the message..... Don't mess with the mad falang.

But best advice above was to be happy!

Enjoy your ride...

And hope the bike ride goes well too.

• Like 1

When you get close to them, reach down suddenly as if to pick something up, they'll run fast enough. Option 2, carry a large stick and wave it around at them, same result. Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs.

Stick ? That will just stir them up more. Dog food treats is the way to go. A small price to pay for a nice push. Why do you say push bike when you clearly pedal ?

Are you fast on the bike?

You need to ride really fast past the mutts. :)

I agree, put the power done and they will move.

When I take my two out for a walk the local mutts come out growling. But when we turn around and walk straight for them, or sometimes run at them if I'm in the mood, they soon scatter yelping. All mouth no trousers.

If they are just street dogs (or any dogs ) it's important not to show fear. After a while they will get bored and leave you alone.

SDM

AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:

Ammonia or bleach in a squirt bottle.

They soon learn.

Or a STRONG lemon juice/water mix, or you could go and buy one of those electronic cattle prods.

Edited by MediaWatcher

AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:AnotherOneAmerican, on 29 Sept 2014 - 16:42, said:

They soon learn.

Or a STRONG lemon juice/water mix, or you could go and buy one of those electronic cattle prods.

Why mess around when AK47's are available, jesus, they're only dogs for goodness sake!

• Like 1

They soon learn.

Why mess around when AK47's are available, jesus, they're only dogs for goodness sake!

Tie a rope around the neck of the biggest one you can find and then tie the other end to the back of your bike.

Edited by slipperylobster

Is it the general belief here that even dogs that come running strongly at you, barking and snarling....

That such dogs are actually rather unlikely to try and nip at you and bite?

When I have this happen occasionally I usually get off my bike and put it between me and the dogs, and sometimes I pick up my bike some and make a move towards them, if they go on and on.

Is it the general belief here that even dogs that come running strongly at you, barking and snarling....

That such dogs are actually rather unlikely to try and nip at you and bite?

When I have this happen occasionally I usually get off my bike and put it between me and the dogs, and sometimes I pick up my bike some and make a move towards them, if they go on and on.

I bet all those dogs just can't wait to get a hold of your leg. You kind of made lifetime enemies.

When you get close to them, reach down suddenly as if to pick something up, they'll run fast enough. Option 2, carry a large stick and wave it around at them, same result. Thai dogs are all noise and no go, even in packs.

An estimated 31,000 human deaths occur annually from rabies in Asia. As of 2007, Vietnam had the second-highest rate, followed by Thailand; in these countries, the virus is primarily transmitted through canines (feral dogs and other wild canine species)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_rabies