What would you have done?

sipi

My wife and are are walking down a Soi near Khao San Road. I have my 3 year old son on my shoulders. There are a few dozen Thais and farang wondering around. Mid afternoon. Typical day in Bangkok.

Staggering the other way is a young fella. Early to mid-twenties. 2 steps forward, 3 sideways, 1 backwards, half a turn and fall over. Stand up and do it all again.

Normally I wouldn't cast a glance, but his bloke was in his underpants.

Everyone was staring but no-one offered to help. I didn't know if he was just drunk, or had been robbed. I sat him down in a plastic chair; asked him if he knew he was just in his undies, has he had a few drinks, where are your friends....

Turns out, thank goodness; he was alone, drunk and having a bit of fun.

I just dread to think that this young fella had come by some misfortune and no-one noticed or cared.

Had a similar situation on Sukhumvit soi 13; notice a stumbling young guy walking ahead of me down the street. Everyone he passes stares at him and points. When I get close I see he is bleeding pretty bad from his head and appears very drunk. I follow him into a family mart where he promptly just lays down on boxes of sodas. Of course the staff and other customers there just watched him aghast. I started talking to him and he was very friendly, but not sure what was happening. Was saying he was with a friend named XXX (but there was no one around). He was talking to me like I knew his friend, I think he was just confused. I helped him out to a taxi and rode with him to bumrungrad. Walked him to the emergency and then left him there when they started treating him. Northern European guy, I think Sweden. Still don't know how he got the gash on his head, whether it was a fight or a fall.

• Like 2

Sorry OP, if i had a 3 year old child on my shoulders, the safety of the 3 yo would come first.

Whereas your heart appears to be in the right place, the bloke could have been off his face on yaba, had a razor in his hand, even had a concealed weapon in his underpants.

If he was moving, then he is alive in a situation like that................................wink.png

He was blatantly a threat to no-one, except himself. Geez, he couldn't walk, let along swing a punch. He had 2 lumps in his white, see-through undies. One small lump in the front and one large lump in the back. Both could easily be explained, seeing he had obviously just landed and was new to Thailand. I'm just glad he had a story to tell when he got home, if he could remember..