Should Thailand's tourist police be given a new uniform to reflect a more friendlier image ?

David48

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Tony ... can I call you Tony?

With your uniform idea above ... you are close to the model used elsewhere in the world.

The Gold Coast, Australia is famous for their 'Meter Maids' ... the local government introduced 'Parking Meters' and the local Businesses were afraid that this punitive measure from the Government would drive away Business.

So they bandied together and hired 'Meter Maids'.

These Ladies then went onto be a massive promotional hit for the Gold Coast.

Original Meter Maid

18d9uzcdvdzr5jpg.jpg

A more modern version ...

Picture%2B57.png

Do you think they would work locally?

• Like 1

We should run this as a competition.

TVF members can draw the designs on paper and then scan (or photograph) and post the drawing.

David 48 could pick a winner and we could then submit the winning design to the head of the Thai Royal Tourist Police (the real police).

We could also run a voting scheme for good colouring in skills, if the poster does not colour outside of the lines, we could ‘Like’ the post.

The design with the most ‘Likes’ can also be submitted.

If there are any volunteer goose-steppers on the board, maybe they can arrange a ‘ride along’ for the winning entrant.

David, I’m not sure how the honours system works in Thailand but you could be up for the Thai equivalent of a knighthood for your services to Thailand.

Edited by tonytigerbkk
  • Like 1

However, in this case I don't think that the Tourist Walts should be decked out in Boss attire.

I think that to help change their image they should show more of a friendlier feminine side, so maybe something from the Coco Chanel or Versace range.

I have to show my ignorance ... but what is a 'Tourist Walt'?

A Walt is someone who dresses in uniform and pretends that they are something that they are not (taken from 'The secret life of Walter Mitty).

• Like 1

A Walt is someone who dresses in uniform and pretends that they are something that they are not (taken from 'The secret life of Walter Mitty).

You know, and I hope I don't to far off-topic, but I've never actually seen that movie, so feel free to expand on that (the 'Walt concept' ) if required.

Actually, I've never seen E.T. either ... maybe I lead a sheltered life.

Oh ... ignominy ... facepalm.gif

However, in this case I don't think that the Tourist Walts should be decked out in Boss attire.

I think that to help change their image they should show more of a friendlier feminine side, so maybe something from the Coco Chanel or Versace range.

David48,

I do believe and stand to be corrected, that Tony is making reference to Walter Mitty, a character from a short story, by James Thurbur called "The secret life of Walter Mitty"

the basic premise of the story is a nondescript man of the title with a very vivid imagination, a dreamer if you will, who "reinvents" himself by creating multiple fantasy life styles and believes himself to be among other things a pilot, a surgeon, and a killer.

The term a Walter, "a Mitty", "Walter Mitty, or just simply a "Walt" has become synonymous with a person, who makes stories up to make themselves appear more windswept and interesting, or a person who falsely portray's themselves as something they are not, I guess it could be described these days as a "wannabee'

For example we had a poster who displayed the British 22 SAS regiment insignia and motto "who dares wins" as his avatar, thereby inferring he was or is a member of this elite military regiment, it was established that said member had no connection to the SAS, therefore this person can be term a "walt" as he is trying to portray himself as some thing he is not.

I believe this is what Tony is referring to in the context of his post

• Like 2

David48,

I do believe and stand to be corrected, that Tony is making reference to Walter Mitty, a character from a short story, by James Thurbur called "The secret life of Walter Mitty"

the basic premise of the story is a nondescript man of the title with a very vivid imagination, a dreamer if you will, who "reinvents" himself by creating multiple fantasy life styles and believes himself to be among other things a pilot, a surgeon, and a killer.

The term a Walter, "a Mitty", "Walter Mitty, or just simply a "Walt" has become synonymous with a person, who makes stories up to make themselves appear more windswept and interesting, or a person who falsely portray's themselves as something they are not, I guess it could be described these days as a "wannabee'

For example we had a poster who displayed the British 22 SAS regiment insignia and motto "who dares wins" as his avatar, thereby inferring he was or is a member of this elite military regiment, it was established that said member had no connection to the SAS, therefore this person can be term a "walt" as he is trying to portray himself as some thing he is not.

Absolutely correct Mr. Soutie.

Oh, by the way, this weekend we are conducting a raid on Panama, are you up for it?

David48,

Absolutely correct Mr. Soutie.

Oh, by the way, this weekend we are conducting a raid on Panama, are you up for it?

need to check my diary, but if available, not much prep work I need to do before departing, the "blacked out" honda wave needs a service, my Nomex wife beater needs a wash, as do my who dares wins socks, and the camo flip flops need some spit and polish, but sure I can get all this done and meet you at the FOB for the mission brief...

• Like 1

Come on, let's be serious!

One issue that I have with the current uniform is that there are too many variations, because there are so many different groups of volunteers, and even groups within the same police force wear different uniforms, depending whereabout in the country they are working.

So you have the Pattaya FPVs (I used to do this yonks ago, hideous, synthetic black shirt), the Pattaya Tourist Police Volunteers, the Bangkok Liaison Volunteers (did this also - nice polo shirt), the Phuket Immigration Volunteers, the Phuket Region 8 Volunteers, the Phuket Tourist Police Volunteers (white polo shirt or dark blue 'fatigues'), etc etc etc

A plea for sanity! Merge ALL volunteer groups into a single entity, with a uniform .. er .. uniform, adhering to the same set of rules and responsibilities, and with a national structure of command.

What should they wear as a uniform? I prefer a blue polo shirt (white shirts look nice but get dirty very quickly), and black shorts (yes shorts!). Time to show off those knobbly knees.

A baseball cap should complete the outfit. No taser, no tear gas, no truncheon/night-stick. A good torch and local map and a pair of handcuffs discretely-hidden (for those rare occasions when you have a beserk tourist or when your wife seeks some bedtime fun).

And a SMILE! Why do so many foreigners look miserable in Thailand?

• Like 1

another possibility perhaps ?

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Souty, the object is to show a new uniform design for the tourist volunteer police (or whatever they call themselves this week) and not to post a picture of an over pompous snail eating surrender monkey.

Are you proposing that we issue all of the police volunteers with a white handkerchief?

• Like 2

Here is a design that could be adopted, cheap and ideal for tropical climes too.

walmart_uniform-12458.jpg

Mr. Siampolee I believe this uniform could start a case of terminal crotch rot and would not stand up to well to the Starsky and Hutch style rough and tumble of the Pattaya TPVs. Waltsky and Co. couldn't slide across the engine of their pick-ups wearing such an outfit.

Edited by ATF
  • Like 2

I notice that most TPV's have a utility belt that Batman would be proud of since they are not allowed firearms.

ATF, Given some of the personages who have graced the ranks of the TPV over the years, one suspects there have been multiple petitions to the powers that be that the TPV be issued firearms....laugh.png

post-64799-0-31693800-1412059973_thumb.j

I notice that most TPV's have a utility belt that Batman would be proud of since they are not allowed firearms.

ATF, Given some of the personages who have graced the ranks of the TPV over the years, one suspects there have been multiple petitions to the powers that be that the TPV be issued firearms....laugh.png

There is a rumour that has been circulating for a long time that many real Police officers pawn their firearms and only carry BB guns because a Glock in Thailand with discount for Police is around 60-70k Baht with docs plus 1800 Baht for a box of 50 JHPs.

Maybe the TPVs could be issued with paintball guns.

Here is a clip I have obtained of the drill routine as practiced by those redoubtable recruit fellows and felloweses of the assorted volunteer police farces forces prior to said police farce force being let loose on the tourist hordes.

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

We need more female volunteers in skin tight leather with whips to keep all those naughty farangs in line......

Funny I don't ever recall seeing a female cop. Only Immigration.

I have half a dozen female cop friends, two are unattached lovely ladies.......thumbsup.gif ...whistling.gif