Should Thailand's tourist police be given a new uniform to reflect a more friendlier image ?

David48

if they are going to be police they should at the least be nominated and approved as having the necessary skills by the police in their own home countries, and what about criminal records, still quite a few in Pattaya that have criminal records back home

as for the uniform, I think they just take their cue from the Thai police, no use trying to change anything till the Thai police change their image, thats part of what all the recent protests were about in my opinion

Edited by slygeeza
  • Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently ran across a foreign policeman in Pattaya near TukCom doing traffic duty. Takes himself way too seriously.

A real tool.

He's not a policeman. He is a foreigner pretending to be a policeman - very much like children are doing when they dress up and pretend to be something they're not.

The difference is that most children know it's not real.

• Like 2

Why would anyone , especially a foreigner want to be associated with an organisation such as The BIB, and wear a uniform?

Because lots of tourists need help. They would feel more confident to talk to a farang police officer who speaks their language. Farangs who have been here for a long time can indeed help them.

The idea is laudable, and I support it.

So do you think that these 'helpers' should be able to overstep their mark.

Do you think that they should be used in police undercover sting operations?

Do you think that these people should arm themselves with batons and CS gas, just to make the public feel safer?

Do you think that they should be given the power to act just like a policeman when they stop a vehicle being driven by another farang?

Do you think that they should be able to drive their Hummer around with an arsenal on board and shoot out the tyres of a moving vehicle? (and yes, they are still a volunteer force).

Maybe there should be a volunteer force that helps foreign tourists but the system that we have in place at the moment allows one or two bad apples to infest it.

This is why the current volunteer forces do not win over anyone except for the people that they have helped.

As for your five questions: No. None of the above.

The idea (as I understand it) was to help foreign tourists. That's what I support. I never had any dealings with any of the several groups of foreigners approved by the Thai Tourist Police, but think it would be a shame if this idea, to which the Thai Tourist Police has actually warmed up, is being abused by some individual farangs for their own ego.

if they are going to be police they should at the least be nominated and approved as having the necessary skills by the police in their own home countries, and what about criminal records, still quite a few in Pattaya that have criminal records back home

as for the uniform, I think they just take their cue from the Thai police, no use trying to change anything till the Thai police change their image, thats part of what all the recent protests were about in my opinion

Of course, they need to be screened. Police records from their home country etc: the works. They need to be upstanding and law-abiding citizens in their home country as well as here. I think that's one of the basic ingredients.

And disciplinary action needs to be taken when they overstep their authority (which I understand is limited to translation and general assistance anyway).

What kind of person would want to be associated with the rotten Thai Police?

Because if you want to assist tourists, (eg with translations, information, accident /arrest liaison), then you have little choice but to join a volunteer group which is part of the RTP, Thai Tourist Police or Immigration.

From about 2005 I worked as a TPV in Phuket for maybe 5 years, primarily at the international airport, but also patrolling in Bangla Road area. But I became unhappy about the corruption and general image that the Thai police had. So I stopped working for them, donned a 'Tourist Assistance' shirt and baseball cap, and continued my volunteering at the airport as an 'independant'.

However, I was shunned by the authorities, who did not like my volunteering unless it was under the auspices of the tourist police. So I rejoined the TPVs, donned their uniform again, but no longer worked in Patong. Everyone was happy.

Nowadays, I generally work alone as a TPV, answering requests from the airport staff or police when a tourist needs assistance. I abhor the 'selfie' photo opportunities that seem to take place whenever the TPVs attend an event. IMHO, selfies seem to be the primary reason for some volunteers to attend events.

The Phuket TPVs have a 'friendly' uniform (white polo shirt, blue cap, black trousers).

From previous work with the Pattaya FPVs, I can say that their black uniform is not 'tourist-friendly'. Perhaps that's what they want.

The attire worn by these volunteers is an important part of conveying the right message to their 'customers'. So it is very important to carefully choose a suitable uniform.

But there is little point in donning a friendly volunteer uniform if the individual wearing it is doing so for his/her own selfish or corrupt reasons.

• Like 2

[quopte]

So Simon you were breaking the law by doing voluntary work without a work permit setting up your one man vigilante band.

I don't really define showing directions on a map to tourists at the airport as 'vigilante'. But everyone to their own :)

You need to understand that working as a volunteer at the airport is all about helping tourists with information and nothing about tasering them or putting them in handcuffs. There is enough airport security personnel around to deal with any such problems, (as might rarely occur with someone who is blind drunk and aggressive).

I no longer even possess a pair of handcuffs or night-stick - hitting tourists at the airport is not in my remit.

[quopte]

So Simon you were breaking the law by doing voluntary work without a work permit setting up your one man vigilante band.

I don't really define showing directions on a map to tourists at the airport as 'vigilante'. But everyone to their own smile.png

You need to understand that working as a volunteer at the airport is all about helping tourists with information and nothing about tasering them or putting them in handcuffs. There is enough airport security personnel around to deal with any such problems, (as might rarely occur with someone who is blind drunk and aggressive).

I no longer even possess a pair of handcuffs or night-stick - hitting tourists at the airport is not in my remit.

I understand Simon but since you were no longer affiliated with the Police you should have had a work permit.

I understand Simon but since you were no longer affiliated with the Police you should have had a work permit.

You have assumed that I didn't have a WP whistling.gif

At that time, I did have a WP to work as manager of one of my airport hotels, and my job description included assisting tourists/guests at the airport.

But this discussion is going off-topic. Anyone else care to comment on the volunteer uniforms? As mentioned, I personally prefer shorts, similar to Australian police. But then my legs are quite handsome...

• Like 2

You have assumed that I didn't have a WP whistling.gif

At that time, I did have a WP to work as manager of one of my airport hotels, and my job description included assisting tourists/guests at the airport.

But this discussion is going off-topic. Anyone else care to comment on the volunteer uniforms? As mentioned, I personally prefer shorts, similar to Australian police. But then my legs are quite handsome...

Your hotels ?.....and a TVP ? Assisting tourists, some of whom I presume arrived in Phuket with out accommodation ? and may ask the nice farang " policeman" standing at the airport where there is a good place in stay in phuket ?

Forgive me Simon, but couldn't this create a situation of this conflict of interest in this situation ?

• Like 1

Forgive me Simon, but couldn't this create a situation of this conflict of interest in this situation ?

The mere fact that you raised this question suggests to me that your 'ethics' are not on the same level as mine.

Indeed, I could easily suggest to tourists at the airport who were seeking hotel accommodation, that there is a nearby hotel (mine) available.

But by my own standards, that wouldn't be ethical. So in 8 years of working at the airport, I have never done that, ever, period.

There is only a conflict of interest when you let your own selfishness and greed rule the day. I'm not selfish and I'm not greedy.

The mere fact that you raised this question suggests to me that your 'ethics' are not on the same level as mine.

Indeed, I could easily suggest to tourists at the airport who were seeking hotel accommodation, that there is a nearby hotel (mine) available.

But by my own standards, that wouldn't be ethical. So in 8 years of working at the airport, I have never done that, ever, period.

There is only a conflict of interest when you let your own selfishness and greed rule the day. I'm not selfish and I'm not greedy.

Simon we only have your word for that. If I was in the hotel biz then of course I'd have people touting at the airport it's only natural.

I don't know who would want to waste their time mincing around the airport with a Police baseball cap and a laminated Tourist Police ID badge.

To be honest with you I'm surprised you haven't been locked up for impersonating a Policeman.

• Like 1

Of course, they need to be screened. Police records from their home country etc: the works. They need to be upstanding and law-abiding citizens in their home country as well as here. I think that's one of the basic ingredients.

And disciplinary action needs to be taken when they overstep their authority (which I understand is limited to translation and general assistance anyway).

the fact is its not happening, there are tourist police here now that have done jail time in their home countries, but its just ignored

Simon we only have your word for that....

I started to write a reply to your post, but then realised that you are just trolling.

Besides, it is off-topic. Start a new thread if you want to discuss the idea of helping others without financial reward. It's a concept you seem not to understand.

Simon we only have your word for that....

I started to write a reply to your post, but then realised that you are just trolling.

Besides, it is off-topic. Start a new thread if you want to discuss the idea of helping others without financial reward. It's a concept you seem not to understand.

:lol: 99% of the RTP doesn't understand this concept either and you have admitted being involved with them

99% of the RTP doesn't understand this concept either and you have admitted being involved with them

Just to set the record straight, I am not 'involved' with the RTP. To 'admit something suggests guilt of some sort.

I work as a volunteer TPV/translator at Phuket Airport to assist tourists. I rarely come into contact with either other TPV members or the RTP.

Have you any comments about police volunteer uniforms? Something useful and relevant to add to this thread?