Thai villagers face eviction threats from 'mafia'

webfact

Villagers face eviction threats from 'mafia'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THE SOUTHERN Peasants' Federation of Thailand has warned that villagers may be at risk of violence and eviction by "mafia" figures with links to a land-grabbing scheme in the Klong Sai Pattana community in Surat Thani's Chai Buri district.

The SPFT claimed that two police, an intelligence soldier, two local mafia figures and three unidentified men came to the 906-rai (145 hectare) community last Wednesday and told villagers, who had a legitimate right to stay there according to the Agricultural Land Reform Office (ARLO), to leave within a week.

On August 16, the two mafia figures reportedly brought about 50 soldiers to the village to conduct searches of eight houses without a warrant, the group said in a statement.

Although the land was given to the community, a large area of it was illegally occupied and palm oil plantations planted over the past 30 years, it said. The ARLO filed a lawsuit against a private company in relation to the issue and won in both the primary court and the Appeals Court.

The case is currently before the Supreme Court.

It said there were attempts to force the people to vacate the land and there had been violence against the community since August 2009.

The SPFT claimed three community leaders had been assassinated, while villagers claimed that there had been an attempt to sell the land to be turned into a palm oil plantation.

The SPFT called on the government, the National Human Rights Commission, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and all stakeholders involved in the issue to ensure that action was taken against people threatening the community.

It also urged for steps to be taken to prevent any attempt to harass or evict the villagers or sell the land.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Villagers-face-eviction-threats-from-mafia-30244412.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-09-30

I wonder if the top cop currently in Kho Tao is going to claim there is no mafia there also?

And so 50 soldiers are following the orders of mafia groups?

So whom out of the 50 soldiers is the highest ranking officer?

To whom dose he report to?

What resources soldiers are using in this mafia support land grab?

What will the PM do about it?

Nothing to see here, go away and be happy or its off too the re-education camps for you. TIT.

Yup....there is no such thing as mafia in thailand. Now repeat after me....NO MAFIA.....it's all rosy in thailand.
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Now the mafia have military support? Read my lips " there is no mafia in Thailand" I wonder what they call them?

The Alliance for Reform and Resolution aka ARR (pronounced "arrrr" ) ? You know like pirate talk.

Absolutely disgusting story, what a disgrace....I am so glad that I don't live in Thailand anymore.coffee1.gif

Have you found a small corner in Paradise where everything is dory and hunky?

I definitely wont be told, that I have one week to leave my home by petty mafia peanut types supported by a banana military stooges.

And yes everything here is honky and dory thanks for asking, also I don't have to sleep with one eye open and nobody calls me a Farung or shows blatant discrimination because I come from a different country or have a different religion.thumbsup.gif

Once again thanks for asking and may the good lord bless you where ever you may be.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Absolutely disgusting story, what a disgrace....I am so glad that I don't live in Thailand anymore.coffee1.gif

But still spending free time trolling on posts of developing countries' forums while staying in utopia. Interesting.

You need to cut down on the wacky weed fella.....I never said that I was living in utopia. nirvana, paradise, heaven or any other fantasy land that a stoner could dream up. re-read my post and correct me if I am wrong.facepalm.gif

• Like 1

But still spending free time trolling on posts of developing countries' forums while staying in utopia. Interesting.

You need to cut down on the wacky weed fella.....I never said that I was living in utopia. nirvana, paradise, heaven or any other fantasy land that a stoner could dream up. re-read my post and correct me if I am wrong.facepalm.gif

Sarcasm.. can use it in Thailand and even less 'disgusting places', such as where you're at. Herbs had nothing to do with it, but if thats what springs to your mind first......

Edited by gemini81

The government never sees evidence of mafia ... anywhere.

From Wiki ...

Mafia is a type of organized crime syndicate that primarily practices protection racketeering — the use of violent intimidation to manipulate local economic activity, especially illicit trade; secondary activities may be practiced such as drug-trafficking, loan sharking and fraud. Being bonded together by a code of honour, in particular the code of silence (or omertà in southern Italy), safeguards the Mafia from outside intrusion and law enforcement action.

Now the mafia have military support? Read my lips " there is no mafia in Thailand" I wonder what they call them?

------------------------

Influential people.

Wealthy investors.

And in some cases. "foriegn investors or business men".

In general anyone with enough cash and the will to spread it around.

living in this area you soon find out who runs what and it is usually the family of a certain monk, the wife and son are notorious along with their family members, they are involved in all aspects of financial gains here from mining up. Certain palms need to be greased for anyone else to do business, I have seen this first hand, mafia, hell yes and they are all related to one family.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The Alliance for Reform and Resolution aka ARR (pronounced "arrrr" ) ? You know like pirate talk.

You're too late.

International "Talk like a pirate" day is the 19th September.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Talk_Like_a_Pirate_Day

The (social) media should shut up with their silly mafia talk. They just keep spoiling things for the decent hard working good people. There's no mafia, so stop taking away the fun of things. It will hurt tourist arrivals.

Mafia:

(usu. mafia) any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.

(usu. mafia) a closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence.

Oxford Dictionary.

wai2.gif wai.gif