boat basics

stevehaigh

i'm thinking about buying, or possibly making, a small sailing dingy, like a laser style, flat bottom 1 person thing with a very simple rig. the idea would be to keep it at my house and tow it behind my motorbike on a very simple trailer.

does any one know if there are any rules and regs about that? would i need to register the boat and/or trailer?

come to think of it, best forget about the trailer and just throw it in the back of my truck. i'm thinking something about 2.5-3m long and light enough that 2 people can pick it up

Edited by stevehaigh

The boat no, the trailer yes. Check out this design for a sailing/rowing/motoring dinghy -

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/spin.htm

I and another TVF member built the 10' nesting version last rainy season and I drove it 1200km to Phuket in the back of my truck. Each half weighs about 20kg and it bolts together in a minute. Sails and rows very well with 2 people.

Have you considered a "sailboat kit?"

A quick google revealed this company that are based in America and Australia. They ship overseas.

http://thebalmainboatcompany.com/

3000 bucks plus shipping! i think i'll get some plans and build my own but thanks

It was just a quick google. There may be others for cheaper. It was just something for you to consider.

Where will you source the plans from?

That's a good website, Shot.

Some interesting little designs in there.

Should keep the OP busy for a while. smile.png

yep, i found that site right away, something like the 'dart' looks perfect for what i want. just to sail out to the near by islands on a calm day. i wonder where the cheapest place to get fiberglass and resin would be? local or source from BKK?

That's a good website, Shot.

Some interesting little designs in there.

Should keep the OP busy for a while. smile.png

yep, i found that site right away, something like the 'dart' looks perfect for what i want. just to sail out to the near by islands on a calm day. i wonder where the cheapest place to get fiberglass and resin would be? local or source from BKK?

SH, are you doing this as a hobbie project, or do you just want cheap transport out to the nearby islands.

If just for transport, what about an inflatable with a small outboard, perhaps even an electric? Or, a canoe or kayak?

SH, are you doing this as a hobbie project, or do you just want cheap transport out to the nearby islands.

If just for transport, what about an inflatable with a small outboard, perhaps even an electric? Or, a canoe or kayak?

hobbie project i guess, i kind of like sailing (short distances) although the idea of a fast kayak is interesting (not the heavy sit on top type). not interested in anything motorized, i like the idea of being totally silent. i had a hobie cat for years when i lived in Ko Phangan but rarely used it, too much work to set up. the big thing for me is out of the truck and into the water in under 10 mins.

hobbie project i guess, i kind of like sailing (short distances) although the idea of a fast kayak is interesting (not the heavy sit on top type). not interested in anything motorized, i like the idea of being totally silent. i had a hobie cat for years when i lived in Ko Phangan but rarely used it, too much work to set up. the big thing for me is out of the truck and into the water in under 10 mins.

"although the idea of a fast kayak is interesting" - "i like the idea of being totally silent." - well, if it's a hobbie project, obviously you don't want to buy one, but, if you change or mind, what about a 1 man or 2 man inflatable kayak?

They are lite - you could pick it up yourself. You could also deflate it during the rainy season and save some space around the house. They are also quite cheap.

Once again, just a qick google reveals this website with some photos.

http://rubberboats.com/category/2-person-boat.html

You will also see what they call a "trolling motor" which is the electric motor I previously mentioned. I've never used one, but I think they would be quiet. You could possible use it as a back-up, in case you tire of paddling, or to assist your paddling.

http://rubberboats.com/product/intex-trolling-motor.html

• 2 weeks later...

I too looked into inflatable kayaks on alibaba and sourced prices delivered here to phuket. The kayak was going to set me back around $450US. I like to snorkel and have lived near the water all my life and thought it would be a great investment. The nearby islands appeal to me also but a small sailboat was out of the question due to limited storage spare at the condo. I would be interested to see how your boat building skills go and may be able to assist if needed.

PM me if you need help.

AUSSIE BOB