Forum addiction..Are forums healthy?

krisb

The title although can be looked at as 2 seperate questions, I figured since addictions are health related, I'd combine the 2.

So what is forum addiction?

What are the signs you are addicted?

Is this type of addiction healthy or not?

Can you admit to being addicted?...that's the first step so I hear.

Anyhow, fire at will...(not Will27 btw)

:)

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not addicted at all, but I do like to participate in an online community. Like any community, some people contribute more than others. :)

Let's look at the word 'contribution' for a minute.

Khutan only likes to 'contribute'.

He contributes regularly however. It's much more than just a social contribution, it's fastly become regular contributions.

I think he's in denial here.

Addict.

• Like 1

They are just like real life 90% of the people you meet are $#@$$%%%.

I sense some angst in your post.

This is why I raised the health issue.

The person behind the avatar is quite possibly nothing like their alter ego.

Do you ever find yourself swearing at your screen?

• Like 1

I admit to be addicted.

First step in what?

I'm addicted to coffee too.

First step in the morning!

I admire you can admit to being a forum addict.

Your statistics gave you away anyhow, but still you weren't shy to admit.

Too much coffee is not good right?

Do you think forum addiction is honestly healthy?

I have noticed amongst your light hearted fun on here, you also enjoy a good heated debate, and refuse to back down.

Is this healthy? It's all fun and games until the obvious stress is clearly visible.

They are just like real life 90% of the people you meet are $#@$$%%%.

I sense some angst in your post.

This is why I raised the health issue.

The person behind the avatar is quite possibly nothing like their alter ego.

Do you ever find yourself swearing at your screen?

Valium cured the swearing at the screen problem. Still working on the gun thing.

• Like 2

Krisp:

I've only been a member for two months now, but I think you're right, TVF can be addictive.

One thing I've noticed is that TVF members seem to be a pretty diverse group of people, i.e., young/old; newbie/old timer; many different countries; city/rural; rich/poor; varying educational backgrounds; working/retired; fluent/non-fluent, etc., etc., that this creates a certain suspense about who is going to say what next. I think this sense of suspense explains a lot about why these forums can become addictive. There also seems to be a more dynamic culture on this expat website than a lot of expat forums I've visited for other countries.

I've also noticed that my interest in Facebook has really dropped off since being on TVF. Most of my "friends" on Facebook are high school buddies who rarely post anything or people who post pictures of what they have for breakfast or life event stuff. It's a nice tool to keep up with friends and family, but I no longer consider Facebook as addictive as I did when I first joined.

So Krisp, now that I've answered your topic in a thoughtful way, any chance I can get you to change your avatar? That purple half-human half T-rex eyeball really scares me everytime I look at it. smile.png

Krisp:

I've only been a member for two months now, but I think you're right, TVF can be addictive.

One thing I've noticed is that TVF members seem to be a pretty heterogeneous group of people: young/old; newbie/old timer; many different countries; city/rural; rich/poor; varying educational backgrounds; working/retired; fluent/non-fluent, etc., etc. This creates a certain suspense about who is going to say what next. I think this sense of suspense explains a lot why these forums can become addictive.

I also have noticed that my interest in Facebook has really dropped off since becoming a TVF member. Most of my "friends" on Facebook are high school buddies who rarely post anything or friends who post pictures of what they have for breakfast or life event stuff. It's a nice tool to keep up with friends and family, but I no longer consider Facebook as addictive as I did when I first joined.

So Krisp, now that I've answered your topic in a thoughtful way, any chance I can get you to change your avatar? That purple half-human half T-rex eyeball really scares me everytime I look at it. smile.png

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

Krisp:

One thing I've noticed is that TVF members seem to be a pretty heterogeneous group of people: young/old; newbie/old timer; many different countries; city/rural; rich/poor; varying educational backgrounds; working/retired; fluent/non-fluent, etc., etc. This creates a certain suspense about who is going to say what next. I think this sense of suspense explains a lot why these forums can become addictive.

I also have noticed that my interest in Facebook has really dropped off since becoming a TVF member. Most of my "friends" on Facebook are high school buddies who rarely post anything or friends who post pictures of what they have for breakfast or life event stuff. It's a nice tool to keep up with friends and family, but I no longer consider Facebook as addictive as I did when I first joined.

Says the green lizard.

And no, not changing my avatar, it's avatar.

Edited by krisb

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Krisp:

You'll get over your addiction to TVF fairly soon, 6 months, then in about a year you will come back... or no longer be here. It's an institution for the keyboard warriors trapped inside with the AC all day, a dodge for the digital nomads doing the same.

Oz

You'll get over your addiction to TVF fairly soon, 6 months, then in about a year you will come back... or no longer be here. It's an institution for the keyboard warriors trapped inside with the AC all day, a dodge for the digital nomads doing the same.

Oz

Thanks for the encouraging prognosis, Dr Drew.

A lot of social media can become addictive, but I do not consider Thai visa as being addictive and rather more as a pass time and probably a necessity especially beneficial for us ex-pats living here in Thailand, as TV maybe the only ways they get to interact with their peers and able to keep up to date and informed of what is happening around them. I do enjoy to participate on the treads several times over a week on matters that concern me and others like me, plus it also gives me a voice here in Thailand and a platform to air my views. But like all these things they can be healthy is kept under moderation. On average I make about 2 or 3 posts per day. Some may call that an addiction, others may consider that as normal participation. I don`t know for sure not being a psychologist.

On the other hand there is the social media, such as facebook for example that to many is a part of their mainstream lives and would find it as difficult to delete their accounts as an alcoholic would trying to give up the demon drink. And that to me is what I would describe as being addicted to social media.

It all depends on what members define as being a necessity due to us being foreigners living in a foreign land, a pass time and what constitutes as being an addiction.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

So ... krisb ... for me ... addictive ... no ... enjoyable ... most times ... a definite YES ... although ...

(Mods ... stop with the holidays ... enough ... OK? facepalm.gif I have enough frequent Flyer Points ... rolleyes.gif )

One thing I will say ... sometimes, TVF can be a Time Thief ... but that's manageable.

Edited by David48
  • Like 2

I try to read the forum daily....I find it an excellent way of keeping up with what is happening in Thailand where I now live, I will contribute if I think I have something positive to add. I follow the news from back home too on a daily basis for the same reasons.