David Cameron Wishes Britain Would Abandon The Metric System

Maestro

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He should be happy on this page then. Here we have the rod, pole perch measurements etc.

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/length.htm

Thailand is a bit odd as well.

The blue pipes you buy for water are 1/2, 3/4. 1 inch, 2, 3, 4 sizes.

Most nails and screws are sold in imperial sizes, People drive mostly on the left in Thaialand yet Thailand has never been colonised.

Went into my local Home---- store to buy some paint today and was told it comes in 1 litre or 1 gallon (US) tins, ugh! It's amazing that the US can still trade using imperial (US) measurements.

Thailand drives on the left because the principal roads way back when were from the British colony of Malaya that drove on the left. French Vietnam and Laos were not connected by road to Thailand.

There is actually an Imperial measurement AND a US measurement and they are not the same volume even if they share the same unit of measure.

In the U.S. we never formally adopted and a good hybrid IMO has come about ... We use both. This way certain items that may make it to export market can be metric in order to be more generic. Items more likely to be domestic like milk still comes in quarts and gallons... while soft drinks which can be exported to neighbors is metric - liters... We use cubic feet to measure home interiors and such things as carpet size and flooring in general. There are plenty of exceptions ... Plus most items are labeled in metric and the English system... i.e. liquids often show ml/liter - ounces, etc. It works well enough...

Liter is actually spelt litre.

Liter is the American bastardisation of the English language.

• Like 1

In the U.S. we never formally adopted and a good hybrid IMO has come about ... We use both. This way certain items that may make it to export market can be metric in order to be more generic. Items more likely to be domestic like milk still comes in quarts and gallons... while soft drinks which can be exported to neighbors is metric - liters... We use cubic feet to measure home interiors and such things as carpet size and flooring in general. There are plenty of exceptions ... Plus most items are labeled in metric and the English system... i.e. liquids often show ml/liter - ounces, etc. It works well enough...

We always just thought it was a typo.

Who cares what he says, when he promises this at the Tory party conference . . . .

Cameron promises to scrap income tax on minimum wage and increase 40p tax band to £50,000.

Good news if true and not offset by some other BS.

Prime Minister David Cameron has said hed prefer the country to abandon it . . . . . I think Id still go for pounds and ounces. Rather like we use miles and pints

Fits perfectly in line with his other thinking . . . having the majority of folk working for turnips n' carrots & if they're really lucky, a couple of Groats as a Xmas bonus.

Pooh a couple of goats you sexy thing.

General Election round the corner. PM says something that he hopes will stop a few oldies voting for the Kippers. Next!

You don't really believe he's that smart do you? bearing in mind he didn't have to give Salmond a Referendum! and nearly lost the Union!

General Election round the corner. PM says something that he hopes will stop a few oldies voting for the Kippers. Next!

You don't really believe he's that smart do you? bearing in mind he didn't have to give Salmond a Referendum! and nearly lost the Union!

He didn't lose the Union though did he?

Cameron knows a huge percentage of British voters are over 60. This silly statement might win thousands of votes as it resonates with those who grew up before 1971.

They are defecting in a reckless fashion to another party that understands pounds shilling and pence.

Mark of a desperate Prime Minister.

Es off his Trolley...

Next e will be defecting to U'Kipp'er. tongue.png

I can visualise a mile, a yard a foot, an inch, I can do the same with a kilometre, a metre and a millimetre, and I know how many millimetres there are in a Kilometre but hell do I know how many inches there are in a mile, I do not even know how many yards there are in a mile.

The same with volume, speeds and weights... coffee1.gif

About time the got him back in his straight jacket and locked up. coffee1.gif

Cameron knows a huge percentage of British voters are over 60. This silly statement might win thousands of votes as it resonates with those who grew up before 1971.

They are defecting in a reckless fashion to another party that understands pounds shilling and pence.

That would be 1971 then? Sounds about right for the time warp the Kippers are stuck in. Has your wife cleaned behind the fridge today? cheesy.gif

Es off his Trolley...

I can visualise a mile, a yard a foot, an inch, I can do the same with a kilometre, a metre and a millimetre, and I know how many millimetres there are in a Kilometre but hell do I know how many inches there are in a mile, I do not even know how many yards there are in a mile.

There are 1760 yards in a mile and 5280 feet in a mile. There are 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone. There are 8 stone in a hundredweight and 20 hundredweight in a ton. There are 3 feet in a yard and 22 yards in a chain. I wrote all this without looking anything up at all. It's all still stuck in my head from a very long time ago... laugh.png

He didn't lose the Union though did he?

No thanks to him though! the cost of his incompetence will be evident at the next General Election!

Who cares what he says, when he promises this at the Tory party conference . . . .

Cameron promises to scrap income tax on minimum wage and increase 40p tax band to £50,000.

Coupled with the extreme promises he made to Scotland,it's a wonder he didn't throw his soul into the Pot

Coupled with the extreme promises he made to Scotland,it's a wonder he didn't throw his soul into the Pot

Question: Where's the money coming from? Because I believe at the last count the deficit was getting worse.

Es off his Trolley...

There are 1760 yards in a mile and 5280 feet in a mile. There are 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone. There are 8 stone in a hundredweight and 20 hundredweight in a ton. There are 3 feet in a yard and 22 yards in a chain. I wrote all this without looking anything up at all. It's all still stuck in my head from a very long time ago... laugh.png

Your memory is admirable and you make a great argument for the metric system, although your old measures are sure more "organic" and have historical context.

Thanks for that.

Question: Where's the money coming from? Because I believe at the last count the deficit was getting worse.

Exactly! the Panic and floundering of a doomed Politician.

I think I’d still go for pounds and ounces. Rather like we use miles and pints.

I know there are 16 ounces in a pound, but how many pints are there in a mile? blink.png

See, this is why the Brits have to use the metric system. They can't do math. It's the same reason they adopted digital readouts on clocks and watches. They can't tell the difference between the big hand and the little hand. laugh.png

Like Thais, they need a calculator for everything, unless in the case of Brits it's divisible by 10, 100, etc. They could never deal with 12 inches in a foot or 36 inches in a yard, or 60 inches in 5 feet. What the heck does a kg have to do with a km? how many kg's are there in a km? laugh.png

Es off his Trolley...

And 10 chains to a Furlong, and 80 Chains to a Mile (or 8 Furlongs) We still use Chains & Miles as the unit of measurement on the Railway in the UK, I had to learn it many a moon ago in Shunting School as a young lad (Ladywell House Preston) BR days

English?

Surely you mean French......

I know there are 16 ounces in a pound, but how many pints are there in a mile? blink.png

See, this is why the Brits have to use the metric system. They can't do math. It's the same reason they adopted digital readouts on clocks and watches. They can't tell the difference between the big hand and the little hand. laugh.png

Like Thais, they need a calculator for everything, unless in the case of Brits it's divisible by 10, 100, etc. They could never deal with 12 inches in a foot or 36 inches in a yard, or 60 inches in 5 feet. What the heck does a kg have to do with a km? how many kg's are there in a km?

Neversure

Are you having a laugh? because if you are? you are not very amusing! The English invented the Imperial measurement system,and you in your lacklustre style humbly followed suit.! Later when Metrification was a necessary progression we English learned Metric,while you Americans clung on to Imperial and still do,because your people could not accept change! All your silly smileys changes nothing,the last time I worked in building your Indy Cars, we had multi discipline drawings of building your cars: Imperial, Metric converted to Imperial,because you didn't understand Metric!

The Brits never had to use Metric your Country had to use it because the world was expected to change not America!

Edited by MAJIC

Like Thais, they need a calculator for everything, unless in the case of Brits it's divisible by 10, 100, etc. They could never deal with 12 inches in a foot or 36 inches in a yard, or 60 inches in 5 feet. What the heck does a kg have to do with a km? how many kg's are there in a km?

Neversure

Are you having a laugh? because if you are? you are not very amusing! The English invented the Imperial measurement system,and you in your lacklustre style humbly followed suit.! Later when Metrification was a necessary progression we English learned Metric,while you Americans clung on to Imperial and still do,because your people could not accept change! All your silly smileys changes nothing,the last time I worked in building your Indy Cars, we had multi discipline drawings of building your cars: Imperial, Metric converted to Imperial,because you didn't understand Metric!

The Brits never had to use Metric your Country had to use it because the world was expected to change not America!

Oh blimey charlie MAJIC.. .. . really . . . . you're not supposed to bite. Stiff upper lip in the face of. Imperialism?

• Like 2

Wondering if the police and thai visa are working together on this, as,

I just deleted the other useless ten threads on this topic, and lo and behold,

there is yet another new thread that says absolutely nothing new

my guess:

it is the kid that hired the lawyer, and he and two of his immigrant employees, did the deeds, and one of them choked under the pressure

MJP No. Posting 88

Yes I know,but sometimes you have to put the followers in their place.

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.