where to buy 80-100% proof alcohol to make herbal medicines in CM

Greeen

Pharmacies only seem to sell 70%, its tinted blue.

Hardware stores sell 100% in their paint departments.

BUT, is this stuff safe for medicinal use ?

Ive just noticed that in the OP you asked for 80-100% proof.

Thats only 40-50% by volume.

If thats what you realy want, then some Lao Khao from the village will be plenty strong enough.

I bought some once for cleaning my electronic ciggies from the pharmacy supply shop inside the moat almost exactly opposite the Samsung Service Centre. I think it was 98% and definitely clear.

Union Science on Suthep road sells 95, 97.x and 99.x% ethanol

Not sure if its suitable for internal use due to additives but they should be able to confirm

I was thinking of going to Union Science, I bought some PH strips there some time ago...

I thought I'd ask on the forum first and to see if any of you guys knew of anywhere else...

Pharmacies only seem to sell 70%, its tinted blue.

Hardware stores sell 100% in their paint departments.

BUT, is this stuff safe for medicinal use ?

Ive just noticed that in the OP you asked for 80-100% proof.

Thats only 40-50% by volume.

If thats what you realy want, then some Lao Khao from the village will be plenty strong enough.

Thanks for the info

I just want some really strong alcohol to make the tinctures

I will probably end up going the Lao Khao route!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Union Science on Suthep road sells 95, 97.x and 99.x% ethanol

Not sure if its suitable for internal use due to additives but they should be able to confirm

190 proof 194 proof and 198 proof

I bought some once for cleaning my electronic ciggies from the pharmacy supply shop inside the moat almost exactly opposite the Samsung Service Centre. I think it was 98% and definitely clear.

196 proof.

I believe the man asked for 80 to 100% proof. Are you people trying to kill him?

Seems to me any whiskey store would have a bottle in that range. They are also suitable for internal use.

• Like 1

The blue alcohol is isopropyl and the paint store sells methanol. The purest ethanol easily available would probably be a good vodka, since you are making small quantities of medicinal tincture. Would be easy enough to further distill a small amount if you need it really pure.

• Like 1

I came across a chemical supply shop near Chang Phuak Gate

They sell Pharmaceutical Grade Ethyl Alcohol 95+99% for 105 baht for 500ml

The girl in the shop said people use it to make Whiskey

Wow! I'm amazed they can get away with this. In Australia, pure alcohol is monitored by Customs and every drop must be accounted for.

Where it is used in the confectionery industry, it has a duty of $16.00 per litre.

I'm not surprised it's used for making whisky in Thailand!

There's a 2nd chemical supplies shop on Suthep Road called Vechavit. It's next to the 7-11 at the junction with Sirimangkalajarn. The man that runs it is very friendly, I have been going there for a some years. I bought some iso-propyl alcohol last week to clean some RAM slots in my PC. I was told it was pure 100%. I guess he meant 99.nn%.

post-38660-0-37487000-1412239633_thumb.j

Using lao kao, or any thai whiskey, riddled with chemicals and other crap, to make herbal tinctures is a crazy idea!! Herbal tinctures are supposed to help with health, not hinder it with chemicals galore.

I did think you could use vodka for such things. But the key thing is to avoid thai spirits, and to use a quality western brand.

I wonder if the chinese herb shop near worawot market would sell any alcohol for this purpose? After all, they sell herbal alcohols there, but not seen any actual tinctures.

I"ve just checked in my chinese herb book, and instructions to make tonics say to use x litres of vodka, rum, or brandy, or chinese kao liang (which is 150 proof).

But i'd reiterate not to use thai spirits!

Using lao kao, or any thai whiskey, riddled with chemicals and other crap, to make herbal tinctures is a crazy idea!! Herbal tinctures are supposed to help with health, not hinder it with chemicals galore.

I did think you could use vodka for such things. But the key thing is to avoid thai spirits, and to use a quality western brand.

I wonder if the chinese herb shop near worawot market would sell any alcohol for this purpose? After all, they sell herbal alcohols there, but not seen any actual tinctures.

I"ve just checked in my chinese herb book, and instructions to make tonics say to use x litres of vodka, rum, or brandy, or chinese kao liang (which is 150 proof).

But i'd reiterate not to use thai spirits!

Thanks for the advice...

I think people may have been joking about using the Lao Kao, I would never use it, but I wouldn't use a Chinese brand either...

I'm using pharmaceutical grade 99.8% ethyl alcohol purchased from the chemical supply shop just past Chang Phuak gate

post-177453-0-48341300-1412295093_thumb.

You really need to check that it is food grade!

I think Pharmaceutical grade is of a higher quality than food grade, it does say Pharmaceutical grade on the label...

It's produced by

Liquor Distillery Organisation Excise Department

http://www.liquor.or.th.122.155.171.22.no-domain.name/EN/product1.php

Edited by Greeen
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Sorry to bump up old thread but, avoid any ethanol over 96 percent volume.

They have to use benzen (cancer causing chemical) to make ethanol over 96 percent (99% for example).

food grade ethanol must be obtained from natural ways and distilled up to 96 percent, if you want safe for whatever goes to your belly (medicine, vodka, liquor etc)

9 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Sorry to bump up old thread but, avoid any ethanol over 96 percent volume.

They have to use benzen (cancer causing chemical) to make ethanol over 96 percent (99% for example).

food grade ethanol must be obtained from natural ways and distilled up to 96 percent, if you want safe for whatever goes to your belly (medicine, vodka, liquor etc)

There are really a lot of good books to read, you can buy them online and read on your computer or smart phone.