Application for Extension of Stay - 30 Sept 2014 - Bangkok

My current Non-Imm, multiple-entry visa expires on 9 Oct 2014. I prepared all of the necessary documents to submit my application for extension of stay and went to Immigration Division 1 (Bangkok) to apply. After waiting for 3 hours for my number to be called, I was told that I couldn't apply until December since my latest entry stamp allows me to remain until 24 Dec 2014. I explained to the officer that I travel frequently and my next scheduled trip will have me returning after the expiration date on my visa (9 Oct 2014) therefore I need to go ahead and apply for the extension of stay now. She was adamant and told my that the date on my visa didn't matter, all that mattered was the date stamped on my latest arrival. She again told me to return before 24 Dec 2014 to apply for my extension of stay. I again informed her that the current stamp on my passport will become irrelevant after I depart for my next trip and return after the expiration date on my visa. She told me that my only option was to apply for a re-entry permit (multiple) and return before 24 Dec 2014 to apply for extension of stay. I then spent another hour and half waiting to apply for the re-entry permit and after paying 3,800 Baht was told to return before 24 Dec to submit my application for extension of stay.

This seems like a very inefficient and money-making process for Immigration, especially considering the fact that I could have easily applied for another Non-Imm Visa (for about 2,700 Baht more than I paid for the re-entry permit) and received another 12 months immediately. Is this normal?

You do not extend a visa you extend your permit to stay you get from one. The immigration officer was correct.

Why did you get a multiple re-entry permit. Unless you plan on making several trips before you apply for your extension in December a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) would of been better.

As I mentioned, I travel frequently and will make several trips out of Thailand before 24 Dec, this is why the multiple re-entry was needed. It seems that they should be able to take into consideration the fact that I travel frequently and go ahead and at least accept the application for extension now instead of dragging it out until December then adding another 30-days "under consideration" to it, which undoubtedly will result in the need for another multiple re-entry permit and more revenue for Immigration.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE - Apply for extension of stay

Went back to Immigration office today, as was told previously. After waiting all day, was happy to get the same officer I saw last time, as I thought this may make it easier. Wrong! She promptly informed me that since my visa is now expired, I will need to apply for a new one after the re-entry permit expires on 24 December. We told her that she is the one who told us to apply for the re-entry permit and to return before 24 December to apply for the extension of stay. She denied saying that and told me I will need to wait until the re-entry permit expires on 24 December and then apply for a new visa. If she had told me this before, I could have saved the 3,800 baht for the re-entry permit and already would have had a new visa, saving both my money and time. Instead, I am now not only out the extra money and a lot of time wasted at the Immigration office, now my Christmas is screwed.

There is no wonder why so many people post negative comments about Thailand Immigration on this forum. As you can now see, even if you get the same person as before, the story and requirements can change drastically.....

Officially fed up!

The immigration officer is wrong. That the original visa has expired is of no consequence, what matters is that you have a valid permission to stay based on a non-immigrant visa, which you have.

I would ask to speak to a superior and ask for a clarification as there seems to be a misunderstanding.

The immigration officer is wrong. That the original visa has expired is of no consequence, what matters is that you have a valid permission to stay based on a non-immigrant visa, which you have.

I would ask to speak to a superior and ask for a clarification as there seems to be a misunderstanding.

Unfortunately this all occurred today around 6pm after waiting all day and she was very adamant about it. I politely argued with her and repeated what she told us before, and my wife even repeated it all in Thai, with no avail. She repeated that there is no other way except for me to apply for a new visa once my current re-entry permit expires. I had no more energy to challenge her anymore. Like I said, I am officially fed up.

Called the Immigration hotline (1111) today, explained the history of my case and was told that it is up to the discretion of the officer reviewing your files. He told me that he would suggest I follow her advice and leave the country to apply for a new visa and then return and apply for an extension of stay. I asked, which advice I should take, her first or second, as they are conflicting and her advice contradicts the requirements listed on the Bangkok Immigration website. He told me to follow her second advice since that is the most recent. I then asked that since it is up to the individual officers discretion, if I went back to the Immigration office and spoke to a different officer, could I get a different result? His answer was, yes you may get a different result because the individual officers have the discretion to consider each case on a "case by case" basis.

Incredible!

You do not extend a visa you extend your permit to stay you get from one. The immigration officer was correct.

Why did you get a multiple re-entry permit. Unless you plan on making several trips before you apply for your extension in December a single re-entry permit (1000 baht) would of been better.

Based on my conversation with the immigration hotline staff today, the immigration officers are always correct, regardless of what the regulations or website state or even what they said the first time. Seems I will now be forced to exit the country, apply for a new visa and return to do this all over again. Merry Christmas!

Returned to the Immigration office today (because my wife forgot to collect her ID on the way out last week) and took the opportunity to speak to a Supervisor. After hearing the history of my case, he said I should be able to apply. I told him the same officer I met in September told me last week that I could not. He then directed me to call the Inspector (phone number above the exit door) and ask her. I did, and she told me to go ask the same officer I met last week. I did, and she repeated that I had to exit the country apply for a new visa and then return. I asked to speak to her Supervisor. Her Supervisor explained that after my first visit (30 Sept), the regulation was changed on 1 November and she showed my wife the regulation in Thai. She apologized for the inconvenience and told me the only thing I can do is leave the country, apply a new visa and them come back.

Unplanned trip coming soon.