Royal Decree Sets Oct 15 Election Date

Jai Dee

"Following Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin’s visit to Khon Kaen Center Hospital, he said he will push forward the plan for 8,000 people with heart diseases to undergo surgery before the end of 2007"

I know this center well, since I am only hale and hearty because of the excellent work done by the cardiologists there, in "rodding out" one of my coronorary arteries, in February 2003.

But, at present, it is overshadowed by a monument to the total ineptitude of the pre-Thaksin governments.

An enormous building that was to be the Regional Heart-Surgery Center was being built, but inability to get their act together and react by floating the baht when the slump in export orders in 1996 left the pegged baht over-priced, brought the building of this Center to a halt.

With typical provincial ingenuity, the cardiologism management at Khon Kaen did what it could, when so let down by incompetence in Bangkok.

It put into operation one small Catheter Theatre in the only completed building, which was the site engineers' temporary building.

I was operated on in that 'site hut' building, and then transferred by ambulance to the neighbouring Srinakarind Hospital's ICU.

For over eight years that huge partly-built building has sat there and the tower cranes have never moved. In the meantime, a small program has been beavering away in the 'site hut' at its base.

Don't be surprised if the voters see the man who built Shin successfully as a better choice than the merely-noise-making politicians who cocked up before.

I am no admirer of Thaksin, nor apologist for some of his doings, but I do recognise that electors tend to be quite hard-headed and will go for the not-very-nice-but-competent choice rather than the sweet-but-incompetent one.

(Look at England, and how its electorate 'held its noses' and elected the bunch led by nasty Thatcher rather than the nicer lot led by sweet old Michel Foot.)

I am sure you are well aware of who was a leading member of the 1997 collapse government the memebers of which who were heavily criticized for their handling of the situation together with accusations of delaying flotation for their own personal ends. A certain irony in this news story shall we say then?

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

549000011716101.JPEG

Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday estimates the number of uncorrupt politicians in all of Thai national politics. He says the error factor in his estimate is +/- 1.

Photo by Bangkok Herald-Examiner - 7 August 2006

Edited by chownah

I have finally found clear bias in The Nation's news coverage - it's the choice of photographs. today they have Abhisit pointing his finger right into the next picture where Thaksin looks like he is going to cry. Sorry but they are available only in the paper edition.

There was this interesting passage in The Nation recently, I think it's quite important, even if a few days old and not exactly fitting the topic:

http://nationmultimedia.com/search/page.ne...amp;id=30010458

There was talk about some hitches in the Shin Corp deal with Temasek Holdings of Singapore. One version was that it was not yet a done deal regarding ground stations on high mountains in Burma for the Ipstar satellite to have a direct link with Australia. Singapore has become the proprietor of the facilities through the sale of Shin Corp stocks and Burma feels uneasy about such an arrangement.

There was speculation about Thaksin's desire to invest his cash holdings in energy ventures, rare earth and other natural resources. "Why should I pursue business deals after I have sold all," he asserted. His argument was not taken seriously by those familiar with his style of doing business through nominees and funds.

There was talk on the grapevine about Thaksin's desire to drive away misfortune and whatever jinx now menaces his star by paying homage at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon. The embattled billionaire is said to be fascinated by superstition and fortune-telling. His visits to various places led to wild talk about such practices.

If people are inclined to believe what Thaksin has to say, they should be prepared for disappointment later on. Somehow, what he has denied has tended to turn out to be true. As a politician who never admits any mistake, Thaksin did not care when his claims were found to be false.

If there were some truth in all the wild talk, it would be about his family's unfinished deal with Temasek Holdings. Half of the Bt73 billion has been paid over so far, but it remains untouched and Thaksin cannot remit it abroad, as there exist doubts about the legality of the entire transaction. What's more, parts of the deal encountered legal problems that led to sharp falls in the shares of Shin Corp companies, resulting in massive paper losses and a red face for Temasek Holdings.

I saw Abhisit on the television tonite!!! He was walking behind a two wheeled tractor pretending to be driving it....it was not convincing....it was not effective at preparing the land for anything and I doubt it was very effective in making rural voters think he is competent......at least in running a two wheeled tractor....one wonders if they will extrapolate this incompetence to other areas. Of course how well he handles a tractor has nothing to do with how he would do at running a country....so one wonders what he was doing out there walking behind a tractor with the press covering it as news.....my wife's comment was that he is "ting tong".

I really do hope that the Democrats get a better act together or if they have a good act already that they do a better job getting the word out to the public....his tv appearance today seemed rather lame...but maybe some voters will respond to it...I don't know.

So Thaksin's got nothing to fear from a TV debate, right?

Why should Toxin debate anyone? Is there some advantage for him in doing so? As things stand now he will win the next election by most people's estimates....so why take a risk by agreeing to a debate? Toxin is not as young and pretty as Abhisit so he would be at a clear disadvantage in a debate. These things are obvious and I'm puzzled at why anyone would think that Toxin would be foolish enought to enter a tv debate.

For Toxin to respond to Abhisit call for a debate would certainly do two things regardless of the outcome of the debate: 1. It would lower Toxin's stature to appear to be forced into a discussion ...and 2. It would raise Abhisit's stature to appear to be able to force Toxin into discussion. This is a lose-lose situation for Toxin....clearly he will decline....probably his best ploy is to ingnore it entirely.

I want to be clear about my intentions....I am not supporting Toxin here...I am just trying to focus on the political reality of this situation to see why Toxin might decline debate....or course maybe I'm wrong and he will do it....but don't hold your breath. Yeah...I know...its alot more fun to say bad things about him and portray him as the devil himself.......

Hey I totally agree Mr. Thaksin will not debate Mr. Abhisit. Why would he allow a member of the opposition access to prime time TV that will go out all over the Isaan and North when he has done everything he could to prevent the oppositon from having any platform in these areas? The last thing Mr. Thaksin wants is information reaching people in these areas. As some posters have noted the up country voters are a discerning lot. It is just at the moment they get only TRT propoganda 24/7, so it is not surprising so many of them adore Mr. Thaksin. That combined with the well spread lie of "if Mr. Thaksin loses, you will all lose your OTOP and 30 baht health care" and the control of TRT influential ones is quite a combination to better. And yet there are still people who see this in some nice little western framework where "hey the Democrats should ccome up with better policies and then the northerners will vote for them". Why blame the opposition? It doesnt really matter what the message is if you have no chance of getting any message across.

Well there is one way to get the word around and I think it would be a bit hard to stop. I can recall while sitting on beaches in Florida there was an army of low flying small Cessna planes with banners in tow. I wonder how Thaksin would counter that?

Thaksin is forever seen metaphorically putting out the lights every place he goes. He just wont come out in the light at all. It makes me think of vampire shows and movies. Vampires go around draining the life blood from their victims, then they cast some sort of control over them so their victims continue to be a source of nourishment, and vampires wont come out into the light or they will perish.

That is very sad that Thaksin can’t defend his actions. I suspect that an average 12 year old M1 student could win a debate with him because his actions are so bad.

Edited by John K

I read in an ABAC poll that a vast majority of the respondents want a debate, good for democracy eh Chownah? Let the people know the policies, how well thought out they are, etc.

Never mind, the coward refuses to face Aphisit, so I propose in the course of campaigning over the next 2 months The Democrats should have a mini debate with someone on stage wearing a square shaped face mask playing the role of the absent leader, The Democrats can explain that the real figure is too afraid to debate.

I think debates are very entertaining but really they don't prove much of anything....except who is the best debator. Which policies are best can not be decieded by watching two opponents argue for a couple of hours. If it was that easy then we would all be in agreement as to what was best and politics would be filled with polite philanthropic nice guys. A debate is a rather shallow attempt at portraying views and is mostly a display of emotions....that's why you always have debates on tv and never on the radio....on the radio you can't get that emotional quality to come across so well and the average person gets bored. Most people who watch debates and really enjoy them get really emotinally involved with what happens...sort of like watching the world cup when your team is playing against a team from a country whose gov't you dispise.

If you type out a manuscript of a debate and make it available for people to read....it will be almost completely ignored......debate is an emotional rollercoaster and appeals mostly to those who like that sort of thing.....watch the debates....invite a few friends over....drink a few beers....make clever comments about the guy you don't like....laugh together about how clever you are and be smug about how you and your friends are so clever and smart and agree on what's what and who's good and who's bad etc. etc......sort of like watching football....or being part of one of the clicks here on TV.

Edited by chownah

Well how about a discussion programme with a well respected moderator? If a debate is too 'emotional'; surely it's not too much to expect Mr Thaksin to be able to discuss current issues important in Thailand with The Opposition?

He says TRT have been very successful the last 5 years, could he not demonstrate this in a discussion forum?

Well how about a discussion programme with a well respected moderator? If a debate is too 'emotional'; surely it's not too much to expect Mr Thaksin to be able to discuss current issues important in Thailand with The Opposition?

He says TRT have been very successful the last 5 years, could he not demonstrate this in a discussion forum?

I don't know what he could demonstrate but politically speaking there is no insentive for him to discuss anything with the opposition.....he's winning....he's got the votes already...all he needs to do is to keep addressing those people who already support him and keep them interested. He doesn't need to take votes away from the opposition. This is politics. Politicians don't do things to be reasonable or expressive....they do things to win. Toxin is winning while using the same tactics he has always used...he has the ear of the rural voters in the north and northeast and that's all he needs...he didn't get them by debating or discussing with anyone...he has kept them for 5 years without debating or discussing with anyone...and all indications are that he's right on course to continue this trend and win again....and my guess is that he will do this without debating or discussing with anyone.

Also...I think he would make a lousy debator/discussor and I think his advisors know that too.

Also...Thai culture values a non-confrontational facade when in public. Debate is really very contrary to this Thai value. The rural voters represent the established Thai cultural values while those from Bangkok tend to be more westernized and for obvious reasons. It's not so surprising that it is the people from Bangkok who want this confrontational style of politicing.....and frankly I think that this "in your face" style of demonstrating and politicing tends to alienate the rural folk from the political parties that indulge in it.

Live debates show people better than prepared speeches. General folks can see not only who is the better debater, but how people think, how they react, can they stand for themselves and so on.

Reading prepared speeches or one way chatting on Sat mornings cover real personas.

I don't know what he could demonstrate but politically speaking there is no insentive for him to discuss anything with the opposition.....he's winning....he's got the votes already...all he needs to do is to keep addressing those people who already support him and keep them interested. He doesn't need to take votes away from the opposition. This is politics. Politicians don't do things to be reasonable or expressive....they do things to win. Toxin is winning while using the same tactics he has always used...he has the ear of the rural voters in the north and northeast and that's all he needs...he didn't get them by debating or discussing with anyone...he has kept them for 5 years without debating or discussing with anyone...and all indications are that he's right on course to continue this trend and win again....and my guess is that he will do this without debating or discussing with anyone.

Also...I think he would make a lousy debator/discussor and I think his advisors know that too.

Also...Thai culture values a non-confrontational facade when in public. Debate is really very contrary to this Thai value. The rural voters represent the established Thai cultural values while those from Bangkok tend to be more westernized and for obvious reasons. It's not so surprising that it is the people from Bangkok who want this confrontational style of politicing.....and frankly I think that this "in your face" style of demonstrating and politicing tends to alienate the rural folk from the political parties that indulge in it.

Chownah, my home town is Ban Phai, Khon Kaen province and I tell you Issan people speak straight, in public or in private!

'In your face!' There is no one more direct than an Issan person! If they don't speak their minds in public it's because of a fear of the consequences, not due to non- confrontation.

Do you know how many NGOs have been killed in the last 5 years with no arrests of the masterminds? I think the number is over 15.

If you understand Thai and watched Dr Chermsak's weekly programmes on TV, prior Thaksin era, where 1 or 2 hundred villagers would be in the hall\ auditorium discussing local issues you would know that to say debate is contrary to Thai values and is confrontational is nonsense.

Only the middle-class have managed to maintain seminars and discussion programmes, but nearly all have been banned from TV; for the working class and rural folk, there have been no outlets since Thaksin took power.

And just today, the government announced a delay in the decentralisation budget, don't want the peasants to know too much, start to have financial power, could be dangerous,

If he won't debate, would he at least concede to holding press conferences? He cancelled those after his cutie Son's hand signs made him look idiotic.

Or even "town hall meetings" where common citizens can ask questions or make comments? (...and publicly aired on television)

People want to know what's going on and have a right to know in some format.

For someone who came in campaigning on a "Increased Transparency" platform, he's done precious little of that over these long years.

There was this interesting passage in The Nation recently, I think it's quite important, even if a few days old and not exactly fitting the topic:

http://nationmultimedia.com/search/page.ne...amp;id=30010458

There was talk about some hitches in the Shin Corp deal with Temasek Holdings of Singapore. One version was that it was not yet a done deal regarding ground stations on high mountains in Burma for the Ipstar satellite to have a direct link with Australia. Singapore has become the proprietor of the facilities through the sale of Shin Corp stocks and Burma feels uneasy about such an arrangement.

There was speculation about Thaksin's desire to invest his cash holdings in energy ventures, rare earth and other natural resources. "Why should I pursue business deals after I have sold all," he asserted. His argument was not taken seriously by those familiar with his style of doing business through nominees and funds.

There was talk on the grapevine about Thaksin's desire to drive away misfortune and whatever jinx now menaces his star by paying homage at the Shwedagon Pagoda in Rangoon. The embattled billionaire is said to be fascinated by superstition and fortune-telling. His visits to various places led to wild talk about such practices.

If people are inclined to believe what Thaksin has to say, they should be prepared for disappointment later on. Somehow, what he has denied has tended to turn out to be true. As a politician who never admits any mistake, Thaksin did not care when his claims were found to be false.

If there were some truth in all the wild talk, it would be about his family's unfinished deal with Temasek Holdings. Half of the Bt73 billion has been paid over so far, but it remains untouched and Thaksin cannot remit it abroad, as there exist doubts about the legality of the entire transaction. What's more, parts of the deal encountered legal problems that led to sharp falls in the shares of Shin Corp companies, resulting in massive paper losses and a red face for Temasek Holdings.

Very interesting.... and in a similiar vein:

TEMASEK BUYOUT

Shin deal finding too hot to handle

Worried officials sitting on ruling that takeover firm is foreign nominee and thus illegal

The Commerce Ministry has indefinitely delayed announcing the findings from a six-month inquiry into whether Kularb Kaew Co Ltd - which indirectly owns Shin Corp - is a nominee of Singapore investment giant Temasek Holdings, a source in the ministry said yesterday.

"It's a very complicated legal issue and it needs thorough investigation," the source said.

Commerce Ministry permanent secretary Karun Kittisataporn said he had not yet received a report from the Business Development Department about Kularb Kaew.

But when its investigation was complete, the department would handle the public announcement itself, he said.

The department was initially expected to announce the result of its investigation last month, but postponed it to the end of this week. Its director-general, Orajit Singkalavanich, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

But the source, when asked about reports that the ministry had concluded that Kularb Kaew was a nominee of Temasek, said the issue was so politically sensitive that the department had not dared yet to make its finding public.

Under Article 36 of the Alien Business Act BE 2542, Kularb Kaew's Thai shareholders are liable to jail terms and penalties if it is proved that they act as nominees for a foreign company or foreign investor.

They can also be ordered by a court to sell all their shares, or face penalties of between Bt10,000 and Bt50,000 per day during the violation period.

Kularb Kaew is a core company of Cedar Holdings Co Ltd, which in January this year acquired a 38.6 per cent stake in Shin Corp from the Shinawatra and Damapong families. Following a tender offer, Cedar raised its stake in Shin Corp to 51.98 per cent.

If it is proved that Kularb Kaew is an alien company, Shin Corp will also be considered an alien company.

Among other things, the law says a foreign company cannot own a television station. At present Shin owns 53 per cent of iTV Plc.

A finding that Kularb Kaew is a nominee of Temasek could effectively derail the Singapore company's Bt140-billion buy-out of Shin Corp.

Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva has threatened to investigate and pursue Commerce officials if they fail to handle the nominee question surrounding Kularb Kaew appropriately.

"How long will they stall, when the Alien Business Act is there for reference? It is clearly specified in the law. The officials could be charged with malfeasance, for their failure to perform their duty," he told Nation Group editors yesterday.

Thai ownership law prohibits foreigners from holding more than 49 per cent in Shin Corp. Kularb Kaew was an integral part of Temasek's takeover and set up so that Shin would remain a Thai company after the deal. There were claims from the start it was a nominee of the Singapore investment giant because the voting rights of Thai shareholders were limited to 10 per cent, when their combined stake was 51 per cent. Cypress Holdings, on the other hand, had 90 per cent voting rights.

"Kularb Kaew is a Thai company, but its heart is Singaporean," said "25 Questions on the Shin Deal", a book published this year after an investigation into the takeover.

Amid a flood of criticism, Pong Sarasin and Suphadej Poonpipat, who originally held the 51 per cent stake in Kularb Kaew, diluted their shareholdings to just 4.25 per cent. Cypress Holdings' stake was also reduced, to 27.7 per cent. Then, Surin Upatkoon, a Thai businessman who has built a business empire in Malaysia, emerged as the major shareholder in the company, with a 68 per cent stake.

Asked if he represented Temasek, Surin said he had the ability to finance the share purchase himself and he made the investment for long-term gain.

The Nation

Chownah, my home town is Ban Phai, Khon Kaen province and I tell you Issan people speak straight, in public or in private!

'In your face!' There is no one more direct than an Issan person! If they don't speak their minds in public it's because of a fear of the consequences, not due to non- confrontation.

Do you know how many NGOs have been killed in the last 5 years with no arrests of the masterminds? I think the number is over 15.

If you understand Thai and watched Dr Chermsak's weekly programmes on TV, prior Thaksin era, where 1 or 2 hundred villagers would be in the hall\ auditorium discussing local issues you would know that to say debate is contrary to Thai values and is confrontational is nonsense.

Only the middle-class have managed to maintain seminars and discussion programmes, but nearly all have been banned from TV; for the working class and rural folk, there have been no outlets since Thaksin took power.

And just today, the government announced a delay in the decentralisation budget, don't want the peasants to know too much, start to have financial power, could be dangerous,

I guess we have different views on what is considered polite demeanor in public venues in Thai culture. I think your comment about the number of NGO's murdered has not bearing on this issue..it has nothing to do with being polite in a public venue. I think that what is seen on tv is probably not what you would see typcially in everyday Thai life. I don't know anything about how the show you mentioned is produced but I wouldn't use what happens on the Jerry Springer or Oprah Winfree shows as an example of what life in the US is like.

I think that if you are saying that being confrontational in a polite public situation is a Thai cultural value then you have missed the boat entirely. In my experience and in what I have read, Thai people (overall...not every single one) value the ability to remain cool and calm at all times you are in public...maintaining the smile outwardly and replying with the jai yen yen attitude. Being jai ron in public is to be avoided.....do you disagree with this, with the idea that being jai yen yen is considered better in public than being jai ron?...within the context of Thai society that is?

The Mahachon Party sees (potential winners)

Mahachon Party leader Sanan Kachornprasart (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์) believes his party’s poll candidates will win in all target constituencies if rivals do not buy votes.

Maj. Gen. Sanan said the party should win several House seats in the North and the Northeast in the October 15 general election.

The party will plan its election campaigns on August 11 and appoint a new executive board on August 26 after which it should be able to reveal lists of candidates, Maj. Gen. Sanan said.

He said the new government should take no more than two years in amending the constitution, then dissolving the lower house to make way for another round of political reform.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 August 2006

A political activist asks the EC to investigate the PM for handing free items to voters

A political activist files complaints with the Election Commission (EC) against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly breaking election campaign rules.

Thaikorn Polsuwan (ไทกร พลสุวรรณ), coordinator of the Isan Liberation Network, said he has submitted to the EC evidence that Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin distributed cows and land to rural villagers and bicycles, computers and rice to students. That was allegedly in breach of the election law and political etiquette, Mr. Thaikorn said.

He said former poll commissioner Sawat Chotepanich (สวัสดิ์ โชติพานิช) had already ruled that distribution of free items to voters during the six months before the general election was a breach of campaign rules. The national poll was scheduled for October 15.

Mr. Thaikorn asked the yet-to-be-appointed new five poll commissioners to investigate his complaints.

A political activist asks the EC to investigate the PM for handing free items to voters

A political activist files complaints with the Election Commission (EC) against caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra for allegedly breaking election campaign rules.

Mr. Thaikorn asked the yet-to-be-appointed new five poll commissioners to investigate his complaints.

filed with the EC?

is he sure he didn't file the complaint with the current member of the remodelling crew?

post-9005-1155099146_thumb.jpg

In post #196, Major General Sanon, leader of the Machahon Party, is quoted as saying:

".......the new government should take no more than two years in amending the constitution, then dissolving the lower house to make way for another round of political reform. "

But that is really advocating that Thailand goes back to being a bureaucratic polity, with the unelected bureaucracy running things, whilst the peoples' elected representatives just talk about democracy-but-not-yet.

In effect he is saying that the Thai situation isn't yet ready for Parliamentary democracy actually running things. That is about as helpful as saying that a teenage child isn't ready for puberty.

There are many things in life, for individuals, communities, nations, even the whole-interconnected-world's population that just ought to be got on with from where we are at.

The good Major General should have it pointed out to him that it is best that we deal with reality, because otherwise reality will deal with us.

(Of course, if the Thai people feel that a hierarchical system, with policy decided by a bureaucracy, works best and it is just a nice bit of window-dressing to have a mere talking-shop of a Parliament, then good luck to them.

I find myself in difficulty, trying to argue for the democratic route, when it has thrown up a Bush and a Blair and their attack on Iraq.

At least, neither Thailand nor its undemocratic neighbour to the West have gone forcing their ideas on those beyond their nation's boundaries.)

PM is happy w/ poverty eradication result in the Northeast

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra is satisfied with the result of the poverty eradication scheme in the Northeast.

Pol. Lt. Col. Thaksin has assessed the operation to eradicate poverty in the Northeast from August 7th to 9th, and said that the overall situation in the provinces in this region has improved. Job opportunities have been created and the concept of Sufficiency Economy has been applied in the agricultural sector. At the same time, the cooperation between the government and the public sector has also enhanced. However, land and water issues in the Northeast are still needed to be dealt with.

Meanwhile, governors nationwide are being trained by the Department of Provincial Administration so they can help wipe out poverty in their respective areas.

He said the scheme may take some time to be accomplished as the budget has not been used efficiently due to the current political situation.

Mr. Rongpol: the draft of royal decree to opern extraordinary session will be proposed to PM this evening

The Secretariat of the Cabinet, Mr. Rongpol Charoenphan (รองพล เจริญพันธุ์), revealed that the draft of royal decree to open extraordinary session concerning the selection of the new election commissioners and members of the National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) will be proposed to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra this evening.

He said that after the premier signs the draft, it will then be proposed to His Majesty the King for approval again.

He said that even the draft has not been approved form the cabinet yet, but the premier can sign his name instead regarding the Article 7 in the royal decree 2006. However, the matter will be reported to the cabinet again on August 15th.

Mr. Newin inspects officials' performance in Burirum and Surin

Prime Minister's office Newin Chidchob (เนวิน ชิดชอบ) visited Burirum (บุรีรัมย์) and Surin (สุรินทร์) Province to follow up on the establishments of the SML (Small, Medium and Large) and Poverty Eradication Projects, as assigned by the Prime Minister.

He has urged both provincial governors of Burirum and Surin to speed up their tasks. He said that at the first stage, the provincial governors have to issue details of the projects to ask for an appropriate amount of budget and to designate committee selected from related units to inspect vacant pieces of land. He said that the land will be divided to distribute to local residents.

As for poverty eradication, Mr Newin said that the provinces may perhaps implement the use of self-sufficiency concept to help manage the matter, adding that each province will set a team of local people to help implement the project.

I guess we have different views on what is considered polite demeanor in public venues in Thai culture. I think your comment about the number of NGO's murdered has not bearing on this issue..it has nothing to do with being polite in a public venue. I think that what is seen on tv is probably not what you would see typcially in everyday Thai life. I don't know anything about how the show you mentioned is produced but I wouldn't use what happens on the Jerry Springer or Oprah Winfree shows as an example of what life in the US is like.

I think that if you are saying that being confrontational in a polite public situation is a Thai cultural value then you have missed the boat entirely. In my experience and in what I have read, Thai people (overall...not every single one) value the ability to remain cool and calm at all times you are in public...maintaining the smile outwardly and replying with the jai yen yen attitude. Being jai ron in public is to be avoided.....do you disagree with this, with the idea that being jai yen yen is considered better in public than being jai ron?...within the context of Thai society that is?

By being direct I mean Issan people will say what they think, ie 'you look fatter, older than last time I saw you' , but it's the same in a Bangkok fresh market with the vendors, the less educated are less diplomatic, but they mean no harm with that, on the contrary, 'refreshingly honest' as they say.

It's not confrontation, but that does happen, have you never seen or heard angry words exchanged, especially between traders?

I mention the number of unsolved murders of NGOs because that's one big reason why there is little confrontation of the authorities, it can lead to a swift unsolved death.

But I agree Thais generally don't like public confrontation, but that has nothing to do with debates.

Have you ever seen the school debating programme on TV? It's been running for years and is always held in a lively and enjoyable atmosphere with the MC summarising the points of each side.

Thais can handle open exchanges of views!

I wish I could remember the name of the programme on Channel 7 run by Dr Chermsak, villagers discussing local problems with the authorities, that was public participation on TV, your wife could probably remember the name but it's been a few years now.

Well-educated Bangkokians deceived: Thaksin

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that the well-educated people in Bangkok had been "deceived by bad people" to be against him.

Thaksin was speaking to villages in Mahasarakham when he visited the northeastern province on Tuesday.

"The problem of Thai society is that it's easy for people to be deceived and it's easy for them to believe rumours," Thaksin said.

"Let alone normal villagers, those who have education were also deceived. I regret their waste of time for studying.

"These people are ready to believe anyone who deceive them. But if you, villagers, have enough information, you can't be deceived.

"Most Bangkokians were deceived. Worse still, they were deceived by bad people," Thaksin said.

A day after attacking Bangkokians, Thaksin told some 3,000 people in Roi Et on Wednesday that he may seek another term as prime minister.

Thaksin told the crowd that the calls by villagers for him to fight on made it hard for him to make decision to retreat.

He said he was pondering whether to leave politics because he had become tired working for the country for six years but was still disliked by the media and a group of people, who lost their vested interest.

"But now I met people who told me to fight on. I met people who gave me moral support and pin their hope on me," Thaksin said.

"I am standing at the crossroads. I would like to devote myself to the country but a group of people may not be happy. They don't want me to become the prime minister because they will lose interest and political recognition."

The Nation

OK I think I am going to die here with this one. I cant wait to see what Penzman and the Bangkok Herold Examiner will do with this one.

So if the smart people wont vote for Thaksin, then the ones who will are..... :o

By the way is there one like This -> :D with soiled and wet pants?

I think he overstepped a line here. Describing millions of Thais as decieved who wasted their education is unacceptable, describing their leaderd, his pooitical opponents, as "bad people" is unacceptable, and finally pitting one group of Thais against another is unacceptable. This is a message of hatred and should be stopped immediately.

This is one of the final nails in his coffin and burning his last bridges with 40+% of Thai people, the same people he appealed for reconciliation with only a week ago.

Last week he rushed to Burma on Tan Shwe's orders like a lakey, cleared his work on a two day notice and dragged half the cabinet with him, so fast his motorcade had an accident. Now this.

In the meantime the wolves are circling - Revenue department can't delay probes into tax exemption any longer - Auditor's office can put them in jail, easily, Commerce Ministry can't sit on shareholding structure of Kularb Keaw report any longer, jail terms are also likely if they don't release it.

I'm afraid he'll go down with a big boom, maybe will be tried for treason or something equally serious.

This one was so bad, ‘The Nation’ even put up a window so you could comment there. Going over the line is an understatement. I would say this is right up there with The top 5 Thaksin personality highlights of his political carrier. I think we can safely call this “Death by mouth.” Lets see... he just insulted just about everyone in Bangkok. The comment “the well-educated people in Bangkok had been "deceived by bad people" to be against him.” Well I think that would include just about every Embassy in Bangkok. The comment was not limited to Thais. I am trying to think of a metaphor for this and for me not being able to come up with one is unheard of. It is simply beyond the low end of my comprehension. Every time I think he has hit bottom, I am repeatedly surprised he can actually go lower.

What was that mythical creature he was compared to, and Thaksin filed a law suit for defamation by putting him that low as to compare him to said creature. I suspect that mythical creature may want to file a law suit now for defamation for putting him so low as comparing him to Thaksin.

He is not planning on coming back to Bangkok is he?

Reality it looks like his guns are empty and has resorted to throwing stones. I said some place I suspect a 12 year old Thai student could win a debate against Thaksin.

Well-educated Bangkokians deceived: Thaksin

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has said that the well-educated people in Bangkok had been "deceived by bad people" (like himself) to be against him.

Thaksin was speaking to villagers in Mahasarakham when he visited the northeastern province on Tuesday.

"The problem of Thai society is that it's easy for people to be deceived and it's easy for them to believe rumours, so that’s why I am here" Thaksin said.

"Let alone normal villagers, those who have education were also deceived. I regret their waste of time for studying.

"These people are ready to believe anyone who deceives them. But if you, villagers, have enough biased and twisted information, you can't be deceived by the likes of me and my gang.

"Most Bangkokians were deceived. Worse still, they were deceived by bad people like Sondhi & Chamlong & that Abhisit guy," Thaksin said.

A day after attacking Bangkokians, Thaksin told some 3,000 people in Roi Et on Wednesday that he may seek another term as prime minister, as he really wanted to bring the country to it’s knees.

Thaksin told the crowd that the calls by villagers for him to fight on made it hard for him to make decision to retreat in this war against the middle classes and educated people in the country.

He said he was pondering whether to leave politics because he had become tired and extremely rich working for the country for six years but was still disliked by the media and a group of people, who lost their vested interest and could see right through him and his plans for a dictatorship..

"But now I met people who told me to fight on. I met people who gave me moral support and pinned their hope on me," Thaksin said.

"I am standing at the crossroads. I would like to devote myself to the country but a group of people may not be happy, and that is totally understandable. They don't want me to become the prime minister again because they will lose interest and political recognition and after all, I told them once that I was going to step down." But I have received a message from the gods and for you dear friends I will fight the good fight and we will achieve victory. Forward the peasants army, onto victory,’bring me my sword of burning gold, bring me my chariot on fire, for we march on Bangkok on the morrow” :o

The Nation

The Nation

Edited by ratcatcher

I think Thaksin may be looking for a Darwin Award. His insult in this one went past All cultural barriers.

The Shinawatras discussing what to wear to the Darwin awards ceremony to be held on Oct 15 2006 in Los Angeles. CA.