Tourists must possess passport at all times in Chiang Mai?

PlanetX

I think this rule is being interpreted to mean that you have to be able to produce a passport within a reasonable time if requested by the police. I don't know anyone who keeps their passport with them at all times, and I think it would be a d**ned foolish thing to do (mine is locked up in a safe). It's probably a good idea to have some kind of official ID with you at all times.

I think this rule is being interpreted to mean that you have to be able to produce a passport within a reasonable time if requested by the police. I don't know anyone who keeps their passport with them at all times, and

I do.

And so did the other people who didn't get hauled off in the below scenario.

http://www.johnnyfd.com/2014/09/live-updates-immigration-crackdown-in.html

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think this rule is being interpreted to mean that you have to be able to produce a passport within a reasonable time if requested by the police. I don't know anyone who keeps their passport with them at all times, and

I do.

That seems like an unusual case, I'll continue to keep my passport in the safe. In over eight years living here I've only been asked for my passport during the expected occasions; at Immigration, when opening a bank account, signing a lease, etc. The police asked me for my passport in Khon Kaen when I was visiting in 2001 (they were checking ID's at a bar popular with students), but they accepted a copy I was carrying. I haven't been asked in a random check or sweep since then.

I did have my bag stolen out of a locked gym locker a few years ago; my passport would have been in it if I had been in the habit of always carrying it. I'd rather run the small risk of being asked for my passport and not having it on me than the somewhat larger risk of losing it when carrying it all the time.

I do.

I'll go with this comment below the article...

News flash; There is NO thai law on the record books which says foreigners need to carry their passports. The law reads "valid I/D" and any I/D from your country will work to meet the requirement of the law.

NOW with that in mind Police/Immigrations or anyone else in an "oh-so tight uniform" can ask to see your passport which you then have to fetch for them.. Still it is total b/s to spout that "it's the law" concerning carrying passports.

In fact, the head of Immigrations came out a while back and said foreigners didn't need to carry them

I think you must have missed something guys your passports must be carried at all times otherwise its a 2000 bt fine, previously this was in affect without the fine and the new law stipulates copies are not accepted, in affect since 29th of August.

I think you must have missed something guys your passports must be carried at all times otherwise its a 2000 bt fine, previously this was in affect without the fine and the new law stipulates copies are not accepted, in affect since 29th of August.

Guess you missed the thread a month or so back when the head of immigration said that is not true.

• Like 2

I think you are the one who missed something!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

• Like 1

I go to the little print shop across from the Irish pub. I have a retirement visa. They make a wallet sized laminated copy with my visa and photo page. Yeesip baht.

I have on occasion showed it to police and they are impressed. Of course I have a drivers license that works as well.

Edited by nycjoe
  • Like 1

"In fact, the head of Immigrations came out a while back and said foreigners didn't need to carry them"

There was an interview with the Immigration head in CM 2 years ago where in fact he said that you did need to.

So I can understand why there is always confusion and debate on such a simple thing. Like all laws they are open to interpretation but individuals.

I have always kept a copy of my passport on me in my wallet and leave the original at home. Of course if you travel out of town, yo should keep it with you. I have been stopped at checkpoints taking a trip to BKK and I didn't have it. They asked me and I said it was at the Embassy. I showed them the photo copy and they said ok.

If someone stays here for more than 1 year, they should get the Thai drivers license which is fine for ID.

Tourists don't need to worry. But most people on TV are not tourists. Less forgiveness for those that should know better.

"In fact, the head of Immigrations came out a while back and said foreigners didn't need to carry them"

There was an interview with the Immigration head in CM 2 years ago where in fact he said that you did need to.

So I can understand why there is always confusion and debate on such a simple thing. Like all laws they are open to interpretation but individuals.

I have always kept a copy of my passport on me in my wallet and leave the original at home. Of course if you travel out of town, yo should keep it with you. I have been stopped at checkpoints taking a trip to BKK and I didn't have it. They asked me and I said it was at the Embassy. I showed them the photo copy and they said ok.

If someone stays here for more than 1 year, they should get the Thai drivers license which is fine for ID.

Tourists don't need to worry. But most people on TV are not tourists. Less forgiveness for those that should know better.

I think July 31st 2014 takes precedence.

I think a lot of foreigners do not understand the purpose of: personal identification; driving license/permit; passport; visa.

Then a lot of foreigners do not understand the thinking process of Thai authorities in asking or accepting any of these.

Op, short answer: NO, you do not have to carry your passport. The head of Imm recently confirmed this after the officers at Hua Hin wrongly stated tourists needed to. But I would advise carrying some type of ID (Thai licenses are good) and perhaps a copy of your passport pic and visa page... after all, to not do so would place you at an advantage over the Thais as they should always have their ID card on them.

I only ever have my passport when travelling here. To carry it at all times is just asking for it and I would sooner risk getting kicked out than doing so. Major drama if it gets half-inched.

Sorry guys I stand corrected.

There is really no good answer on this, as all it takes is one policeman or immigration officer somewhere that interprets things their own way and decides to give you a hard time. An argument with them would surely go nowhere.

• Like 1

There is really no good answer on this, as all it takes is one policeman or immigration officer somewhere that interprets things their own way and decides to give you a hard time. An argument with them would surely go nowhere.

That pretty well sums it up.

The July 31st 2014 proclamation from on high was just the latest in a series of contradictory statements that come out from time to time.

I don't think it will be the last one.

• Like 2

Like nycjoe, I keep a laminated copy of my passport photo page in my wallet plus a laminated copy of my current visa extension. I also have a Thai drivers license. My passport is too bulky to carry around.

Just renewed my extension a few weeks ago so have to get a new lamination. I do it at a print shop in KSK's basement.

That pretty well sums it up.

The July 31st 2014 proclamation from on high was just the latest in a series of contradictory statements that come out from time to time.

I don't think it will be the last one.

Carry a copy, it even has a nice picture for the BIB to recognise

Guess you missed the thread a month or so back when the head of immigration said that is not true.

In addition did he not say for the officers to use discretion when dealing with individual cases?

Like nycjoe, I keep a laminated copy of my passport photo page in my wallet plus a laminated copy of my current visa extension. I also have a Thai drivers license. My passport is too bulky to carry around.

Just renewed my extension a few weeks ago so have to get a new lamination. I do it at a print shop in KSK's basement.

Are these laminated pages accepted by the police or other governmental personnel or are they just a novelty?

I've had my Thai driver license accepted in banks.

I would think either you have your passport or you don't.

Edited by mesquite

I go to the little print shop across from the Irish pub. I have a retirement visa. They make a wallet sized laminated copy with my visa and photo page. Yeesip baht.

I have on occasion showed it to police and they are impressed. Of course I have a drivers license that works as well.

The police may have been impressed, but will that laminated copy be accepted?

I once showed a lady police officer my penis and she, too, was impressed. However that was no proof I was in the country legally.

Edited by mesquite
  • Like 1

Do you speak Thai?

Do you have a couple of phone numbers on you cell phone of Thai friends, at least one of which is a government official of some sort?

If you answer yes to both these questions you have nothing to worry about.

If you answer yes to one of these questions you are most likely okay.

If you answer no to both of these questions you should reconsider your situation here.

I must mix with the wrong crowd In 14 years here I have never been asked for my passport and I don't know a single person who has.

I simply carry a photocopy of face page and visa in my wallet with my driving licence in case I lose my passport in some far flung place.

You don't have to carry your passport,isn't that what we have been told by Immigration only recently?

The exception is that it maybe be required if you book into a hotel.

I must mix with the wrong crowd In 14 years here I have never been asked for my passport and I don't know a single person who has.

I simply carry a photocopy of face page and visa in my wallet with my driving licence in case I lose my passport in some far flung place.

You don't have to carry your passport,isn't that what we have been told by Immigration only recently?

The exception is that it maybe be required if you book into a hotel.

I booked into a hotel recently and told them my passport is at the Russian Embassy.

I had two very clean unfolded copies, front sheet visa extension +TM6

No problem, didn't even want to see my Thai drivers licence.

That's what I've been looking for for ages, and right opposite the rub a dub dub.

Thank you very big!

thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

nycjoe, on 02 Oct 2014 - 07:23, said:

Excellent suggestion! That's exactly what I need, I do currently carry a paper photocopy but it rapidly crumples, degrades and goes mouldy in the pocket. Could you please specify opposite to which Irish pub the little print shop is situated, the one inside the moat or the one near the night market? Thanks in advance.