Tourists must possess passport at all times in Chiang Mai?

PlanetX

nycjoe, on 02 Oct 2014 - 07:23, said:

I go to the little print shop across from the Irish pub. I have a retirement visa. They make a wallet sized laminated copy with my visa and photo page. Yeesip baht.

I have on occasion showed it to police and they are impressed. Of course I have a drivers license that works as well.

Excellent suggestion! That's exactly what I need, I do currently carry a paper photocopy but it rapidly crumples, degrades and goes mouldy in the pocket. Could you please specify opposite to which Irish pub the little print shop is situated, the one inside the moat or the one near the night market? Thanks in advance.

UN Irish Pub on Rajvithi Road inside the moat...print shop across the street.

Btw, for those interested, US citizens can get a laminated, credit card sized "passport card" these days. Most places here aren't familiar with it but I've never been refused when using it as ID. (Obviously doesn't have the copy of the visa page or departure card so YMMV, depending upon the situation.)

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 1

I must mix with the wrong crowd In 14 years here I have never been asked for my passport and I don't know a single person who has.

I simply carry a photocopy of face page and visa in my wallet with my driving licence in case I lose my passport in some far flung place.

You don't have to carry your passport,isn't that what we have been told by Immigration only recently?

The exception is that it maybe be required if you book into a hotel.

I booked into a hotel recently and told them my passport is at the Russian Embassy.

I had two very clean unfolded copies, front sheet visa extension +TM6

No problem, didn't even want to see my Thai drivers licence.

I've gone to a hotel and shown only my Thai driver license. No problem.