HK PROTEST: 'Occupy' protests have opened Pandora's box

webfact

The post about Hue and smart bombs shows that people can make comments about something they know nothing about... If one reads the accurate historical account of the battle of Hue then one might be able to talk about it with some accuracy... and most of all some perspective...

But the truth matters little to some ... only misplaced 'feelings' are important.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick reply, busy day today.

Yes it's true that Hong Kong people resent the the power of Beijing a bit like the Scots resent the power of London. It's true that Hong Kong people want to defend their dialect like Catalan people in Spain. There is a struggle for more independence, that's true like in many other countries in the world. It's not an unique situation.

But to say that democracy has been eroded under Beijing rules is false and so far you haven't provided any argument to prove me wrong.

Regarding the 1989 Tian An Men protest, may I remind you of the Thammasat University massacre in 1976. But, correct me if I'm wrong, you still support a military coup to restore law and order in Thailand. A bit ironic don't you think ?

The Boyz in Beijing are establishing an Iran type of democracy in HKG. In Iran the ayatollahs choose who will be on the ballot. In HKG the Boyz choose likewise.

That's the destruction of the democracy the people of HKG want. HKG people oppose Iranian democracy in HKG, absolutely and unequivocally.

For everything you claim against the Brits in HKG, it is safe to say the Brits never would have introduced to HKG the democracy of Iran's ayatollahs.

As someone else already pointed out the Brits would never have introduced ANY kind of democracy in HK because they would have been kicked out of the island at the first election and they knew it. The Brits were actually not that well appreciated when they were in charge and when you look at the demonstrators, they are mostly kids who were barely born at that time of the hand over so there is no "nostalgia of the good old time", the Union Jack is just an other childish way to provoke Beijing.

What the relation with Iran ? None. You just try to introduce some kind of emotional reaction because you have no facts to support your racist stance against China. Same as the repeated use of the derogatory term "Boyz in Beijing". Please stop trolling.

Edited by JohnnyJazz

The post about Hue and smart bombs shows that people can make comments about something they know nothing about... If one reads the accurate historical account of the battle of Hue then one might be able to talk about it with some accuracy... and most of all some perspective...

But the truth matters little to some ... only misplaced 'feelings' are important.

He also has no clue that the battle of Hue was relatively early on in the Vietnam Conflict while smart bombs were introduced later, towards the end, or that what then were called smart bombs were explosives that got a fin attached to them for greater accuracy. Nothing like the smart bombs used in Operation Desert Storm and nothing even resembling current hi tech smart bombs.

He's trawling through history and trolling through Thai Visa Forums.

A quick reply, busy day today.

Yes it's true that Hong Kong people resent the the power of Beijing a bit like the Scots resent the power of London. It's true that Hong Kong people want to defend their dialect like Catalan people in Spain. There is a struggle for more independence, that's true like in many other countries in the world. It's not an unique situation.

But to say that democracy has been eroded under Beijing rules is false and so far you haven't provided any argument to prove me wrong.

Regarding the 1989 Tian An Men protest, may I remind you of the Thammasat University massacre in 1976. But, correct me if I'm wrong, you still support a military coup to restore law and order in Thailand. A bit ironic don't you think ?

The Boyz in Beijing are establishing an Iran type of democracy in HKG. In Iran the ayatollahs choose who will be on the ballot. In HKG the Boyz choose likewise.

That's the destruction of the democracy the people of HKG want. HKG people oppose Iranian democracy in HKG, absolutely and unequivocally.

For everything you claim against the Brits in HKG, it is safe to say the Brits never would have introduced to HKG the democracy of Iran's ayatollahs.

As someone else already pointed out the Brits would never have introduced ANY kind of democracy in HK because they would have been kicked out of the island at the first election and they knew it. The Brits were actually not that well appreciated when they were in charge and when you look at the demonstrators, they are mostly kids who were barely born at that time of the hand over so there is no "nostalgia of the good old time", the Union Jack is just an other childish way to provoke Beijing.

What the relation with Iran ? None. You just try to introduce some kind of emotional reaction because you have no facts to support your racist stance against China. Same as the repeated use of the derogatory term "Boyz in Beijing". Please stop trolling.

It wouldn't hurt to be a bit more respectful towards the students and an entire class of adults protesting for democracy and freedom in Hong Kong, to include the Hong Kongers who remember the British colonial period and who can compare and contrast it to the CCP present colonial era which btw is Comparative Government and Politics 201. They know their future doesn't look bright and a good number will leave HKG, which should add to your cheer.

If you miss the Comparative Government and Politics 201 similarity of the CCP plan for elections in HKG to Iranian style democracy, which I'd pointed out in my post, there's no cause for me to try to get it through a thick skull that has thin skin. I'd simply mention that if one is going to argue in discourse, he would need to be up to speed to do it successfully. Posters who make a practice of issuing scolding demands and dictating pronouncements to their posting peers are failing the purpose of the discussion board.

If you believe I'm trolling, hit the Report button. .

The Boyz in Beijing also like to try their hand at taking a high handed tone of self-righteous scolding. Every forumist however has his own account button here that I can press as in coming soon. No one is obligated to reply to a crank poster - or to read him.

So you might want to shorten up on your bat to protect your strike zone because you're deep into the count with two strikes against you and no balls. clap2.gif

Edited by Publicus

The smart bomb comment was a snide as even with the accuracy of smart bombs of these days they could not get it right in dessert storm

True I guess sometime you should just call a spade a spade so indiscriminate bombing would be more accurate with no regard to cultural history

The smart bomb comment was a snide as even with the accuracy of smart bombs of these days they could not get it right in dessert storm

True I guess sometime you should just call a spade a spade so indiscriminate bombing would be more accurate with no regard to cultural history

Desert Storm was a bit more than twenty years ago and entire new generations of smart bombs are upon us.

The Chinese 5000 year culture of dictatorship just isn't smart at all, not ever.

Not in any way.

No one party state has ever contributed anything good to human civilization.

Never.

• Like 1

..mentioning the TIananmen incident is also stupid as they have learnt it does not pay in the eyes of the international media.

A slightly dispassionate comment if I may say so.

Think about it Mr Chee.

In the meantime, having lived and worked in Beijing I think the term "Boyz in Beijing" is a very appropriate descriptor.

'Bullies in black Buicks' is my alternative descriptor.

• Like 1

Doubt it...

The people knew that if the British withdrew from the Territories the Chinese would have marched in and they would have had no democracy.

• Like 1

Thaivisa uses a number of sources for its news. We are neither condoning nor condemning the source by its use. We are restricted by a number of factors. This is a discussion forum and you are welcome to read and use information from a variety of sources.

Your cooperation in staying on the topic of the thread rather than source is appreciated.