Building A House

Khutan

My new home is going fine, but some thing s I found a bit strange was you don't pay a one-up all inclusive price. you pay the builder to build and the materials are seperate.

Whilst they are building the resposibility for the materials is with the owner.

Some things are included, others aren't

If you want stuff to a particular specification well you generally pay extra.

has anyone else had similar experiances ???

Local village tradesmen work this way. It allows you to pick what quality and style of product you wish to use. They generally will charge more if you add or change from the Thai basic way. In larger centres you will find labour and materials included.

I agreed with the architect about a quite detailed building plan and budget.

He took the brochures for sanitar-rooftiles-tiles-stones-fastenings-paint and so on ,in different qualities(price classes).He pointed out what he had choosen for the design which was included in the total price.

Certain issues I want higher quality ,choose and pay the difference.

(I had competitive prices in my book to compare)

I went together with the architect to the several building centers to control and check.

I build near Nakon Ratchasima (10 minutes driving distance)

My new home is going fine, but some thing s I found a bit strange was you don't pay a one-up all inclusive price. you pay the builder to build and the materials are separate.

Whilst they are building the resposibility for the materials is with the owner.

Some things are included, others aren't

This should all be detailed out in a contract with the 'grade' of materials to be supplied if you are using a real builder but suspect you are upcountry and they may be scarce. It sounds as if you are using a construction crew with a foreman who does not have the expertise or funds to estimate or buy materials so are telling you want is needed and billing only for work. This could be an advantage and yes you will always pay extra for special work (or anything not in original contract). In this case builder will probably need money on a monthly basis to pay his crew. Try to pay close attention so they don't have to redo things if you can. But get it right. They can tear down and rebuild a wall in no time if you see it looking more like a snake than mirror.

Out in the boonies everyone I know hires a crew, the price is set for the labor, and the owner buys the materials. We built our house this way as has my brother-in-law, sister-in-law and my father-in-law currently extending his house. Also, when my father-in-law built the family bungalow business he also set a price for construction and did all the material buying himself. Usually there will be several teams of builders/foremen bidding for the job so its best to check out their previous work before agreeing to their hire. The price is set by the job and if they take 2 weeks the price is the same as if they take 5. Have to be very careful of shoddy building practices as they often cut corners to save time.