I Would Like Some Facts

HenrikDK

Oh you to whom Sacred Siam

Has whispered her ancient wisdom!

I should like to live a year in Thailand in utter isolation from any man or woman that I know to complete an opulent opus of poetry which will surely amaze every human being who still has a good heart and a sense of beauty. Therefore, I require some answers from you who know the country.

1. How much will a one-year visa for Thailand cost me?

2. How much will the necessary inoculations cost me?

3. How much will it (approximately) cost me to get a one-way ticket from Europe (Denmark) to Thailand?

4. How much will a cheap, but able laptop cost me in Bangkok?

5. And a cheap complete "sound system" for compact discs?

6. And a guitar?

7. Some cheap clothes?

8. How much will it cost me to rent an apartment for a year on Thailand's mainland coastline? (Within a distance of 10 to 20 km (7-15 miles) from a city with 50.-100.000 inhabitants. With beautiful surroundings, but just a simple apartment, a bungalow, a little hut, anything, with electricity though, a fridge, air-condition and shower (unless it's right next to the sea) and kitchen. The cheapest you can get!)

9. How much will it cost me to send, approximately: 50-75 kilograms of books to Thailand from Denmark (EU)?

10. How much for red wine in Thailand? And vodka?

11. How much will it cost me to eat some simple food every day, cheapest possible: just some fruits, rice, prepared meals also?

That's it, I believe. Help me, dear friends, 'cause I'm not a millionaire and I need to get away. I am capable of living under very humble conditions, and I need to get away.

Yours sincerely

Henrik, Denmark

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh you to whom Sacred Siam

Has whispered her ancient wisdom!

I should like to live a year in Thailand in utter isolation from any man or woman that I know to complete an opulent opus of poetry which will surely amaze every human being who still has a good heart and a sense of beauty. Therefore, I require some answers from you who know the country.

3. How much will it (approximately) cost me to get a one-way ticket from Europe (Denmark) to Thailand?

6. And a guitar?

7. Some cheap clothes?

8. How much will it cost me to rent an apartment for a year on Thailand's mainland coastline? (Within a distance of 10 to 20 km (7-15 miles) from a city with 50.-100.000 inhabitants. With beautiful surroundings, but just a simple apartment, a bungalow, a little hut, anything, with electricity though, a fridge, air-condition and shower (unless it's right next to the sea) and kitchen. The cheapest you can get!)

9. How much will it cost me to send, approximately: 50-75 kilograms of books to Thailand from Denmark (EU)?

11. How much will it cost me to eat some simple food every day, cheapest possible: just some fruits, rice, prepared meals also?

That's it, I believe. Help me, dear friends, 'cause I'm not a millionaire and I need to get away. I am capable of living under very humble conditions, and I need to get away.

Yours sincerely

Henrik, Denmark

Well Henrik, if you are looking for total isolation away from people, why would you want an apartment and all the goodies - pen and paper, a good knife, morphine, a compass, hand mirror and a fishing rod, should do it.

Trust me, it will make your poetry very pure!

I can see it now......Henrik in his shanty hut out in the forest with nothing but trees and frogs for company, when one morning at 6 or 6.30 am if lucky, he will be awoken from his slumber by the shrill of a songthaew with loudspeakers as it comes by to sell him something.........daeng moo luuk la yee sip baht, sapporot hua la sip haa baht...........or mai khwaat mai khwaat.......

Alas poor Yorrick the splendor will be spoiled !!

I can see it now......Henrik in his shanty hut out in the forest with nothing but trees and frogs for company, when one morning at 6 or 6.30 am if lucky, he will be awoken from his slumber by the shrill of a songthaew with loudspeakers as it comes by to sell him something.........daeng moo luuk la yee sip baht, sapporot hua la sip haa baht...........or mai khwaat mai khwaat.......

Alas poor Yorrick the splendor will be spoiled !!

Or a taxi driver pulls up..."You look for woman. I got sister. Suay Mahk. You won? Mai peang, jing jing. Vely creen"

:o

I should like to live a year in Thailand in utter isolation from any man or woman that I know to complete an opulent opus of poetry which will surely amaze every human being who still has a good heart and a sense of beauty.

6. And a guitar?

7. Some cheap clothes?

I am capable of living under very humble conditions, and I need to get away.

Hey - old dogs - stop joking with the rookie!

1. I don't think that there is such tourist visa. You need to extend it every 90 days.

2. No need. There is no inoculation for AIDS, SARS or bird flu /do not meet any chicks if you are afraid of illnes :D /

3. As much as two-way ticket! Ask Turkish airlines, Aeroflot, may be KLM for the prices.

4. About 500 EUR /and less/

5. About 100 EUR /and it will be pretty capable/

6. n/a

7. Why you need clothes? There is no gloves, ear-flaps, woolen socks :o Take about 10 EUR p.m.

8. 50 EUR

9. Ask DHL or Fed Ex - if you really want to get your books.

10. Forget - more expensive than in DK for sure. Local drinks - about 5 EUR daily /if you can cope with 1.5l 38 liquor/

11. Nothing if you live among banana trees. Otherwise - about 2 EUR /and less!/ daily.

Humble is when it's cold... 30 degrees annual temperature - doesn't sound oppressive :D

Thanks a lot for serious as well as light-hearted answers.

I can see that I have been the target of innocent jokes during our danish night so I might want to explain my needs.

No one year visa available. Well, how much will it cost me to one first for three months, and then prolong it thrice?

I'm not thinking of those overrated, global hype diseases like Bird flu and SARS, but traditional ones (without knowing much about it) like plain old malaria.

Affordable then. And look, I am actually a radicalist opponent of any connection between computers and poetry and in more innocent times I only sang in little black books. But lately I've had visions of certain altitudes and they have needed speedier writing than I am able to do with a pen in my hand. Besides, I'm also going to write a lot of prose. But I sincerely remain confident about the fact that in a healthy world no one would want to write poetry on a computer. These days are too fast and there's too much serious work to do.

I am confident about music as an eternal means to divine inspiration, and though one, also I, could easily live without it, as I have done on several voyages in Europe as well, I have come to the conclusion that Mozart, Beethoven and Leonard Cohen is a good bunch of friends to bring along when you don't see any in flesh that you would like to invite.

6. And a guitar?

It's not a joke. I'm also going to write some songs and improve my guitarpicking.

7. How much will it cost me to rent an apartment for a year on Thailand's mainland coastline? (Within a distance of 10 to 20 km (7-15 miles) from a city with 50.-100.000 inhabitants. With beautiful surroundings, but just a simple apartment, a bungalow, a little hut, anything, with electricity though, a fridge, air-condition and shower (unless it's right next to the sea) and kitchen. The cheapest you can get!)

If that's 50 EURO a year I should have no need to worry about raising money for my prison beach. I wish not to be totally isolated from people, but I long to depart from all those I know. I should like to live in a quiet place in the nature for I'm a man of the country, but I live in Copenhagen now and I know that I shall need to have the masses close to me, for the main problem, that poetry should deal with these days, is the greed of the masses. And in a city of some population I will also face poverty, and the poor are my brothers and my sisters and some day, when I have been able to announce my poetic manifest to the ears the world, I shall go live with them, light and simple and driven only by faith. But I know what I need to work on now and before I can ascent to a more natural way of life I have some ghosts of marble to fight and some plastic bananas to peel.

I also need to make some serious studies to win faith and for that I shall at least need the Holy Bible, the Holy Kuran, the Bhagavadgita and the Vedas, some Plato, some Goethe, the tower, Dostoyevsky, and major poets like Napoleon, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Caesar, Byron, Shelley, Homer and Alexander the Great.

10. How much will it cost me to send, approximately: 50-75 kilograms of books to Thailand from Denmark (EU)?

I don't wish to drink on bars or in restaurants. I've been living as a bum. I drink in the streets and I drink the cheapest I can get as long as it's wine or vodka. But I should also like to try some Thai kind of intoxication if such ones exist?

Besides, I'm not as bloodless or cold or tyrannical as I sound, I just fancy Cicero and William Pitt...

No one year visa available. Well, how much will it cost me to one first for three months, and then prolong it thrice?

}}}}}}} plain old malaria.

6. And a guitar?

7. How much will it cost me to rent an apartment for a year on Thailand's mainland coastline? If that's 50 EURO a year I should have no need to worry....

I also need to make some serious studies to win faith and for that I shall at least need the Holy Bible, the Holy Kuran, the Bhagavadgita and the Vedas, some Plato, some Goethe, the tower, Dostoyevsky, and major poets like Napoleon, Baudelaire, Rimbaud, Caesar, Byron, Shelley, Homer and Alexander the Great.

I don't wish to drink on bars or in restaurants. I've been living as a bum. I drink in the streets and I drink the cheapest I can get as long as it's wine or vodka. But I should also like to try some Thai kind of intoxication if such ones exist?

Besides, I'm not as bloodless or cold or tyrannical as I sound, I just fancy Cicero and William Pitt...

You are strange dude... :D

1. You should take "visa trips" - that's explained quite enough in "www.thaivisa.com"

2. Don't think that here are oldfashioned illneses like malaria....

----

6. Guitar - for sure it will be quite affordable...

7. 50 EUR monthly - yep - not so much to worry about

----

9. DHL and FedEx will not make difference if you're sending 70 kilos "Penthouse" or 3 Tolostoy's books /also 70 kilos/ :D I meant that both companies are safe - other ways of package sending are insecure...

Drinking is OK - forget for Mary Jane, speed etc /!!!/ - it will cost you lifetime humbling in Bangkok Hilton /in the best case/ :o

}}}}}}} plain old malaria.

6. And a guitar?

7. How much will it cost me to rent an apartment for a year on Thailand's mainland coastline? If that's 50 EURO a year I should have no need to worry....

I don't wish to drink on bars or in restaurants.

I've been living as a bum.

I drink in the streets and I drink the cheapest I can get as long as it's wine or vodka.

But I should also like to try some Thai kind of intoxication if such ones exist?

You are strange dude... :D

1. You should take "visa trips" - that's explained quite enough in "www.thaivisa.com"

2. Don't think that here are oldfashioned illneses like malaria....

----

6. Guitar - for sure it will be quite affordable...

7. 50 EUR monthly - yep - not so much to worry about

----

9. DHL and FedEx will not make difference if you're sending 70 kilos "Penthouse" or 3 Tolostoy's books /also 70 kilos/ :D I meant that both companies are safe - other ways of package sending are insecure...

Drinking is OK - forget for Mary Jane, speed etc /!!!/ - it will cost you lifetime humbling in Bangkok Hilton /in the best case/ :o

There is malaria in Thailand - also Dengue fever (carried by another mosquito, not Anopheles). You take pills for malaria, both before you catch it and again when you've got it. Dengue fever is not so debilitating for Westerners as for locals, but will still put you on your back for a time.

Bring the guitar with you, make arrangements to have new ones sent out every three months, if you are living in a small hut up-country. They will not be any good in this country if you do not take very good care of them.

On Thailand's mainland coastline - well now - In Pattaya a sea-front condo will start at 15,000 baht per month (300 Euro) - In Naklua, Jomtien about the same. Hua Hin, Rayong a little less - say 200 Euro. Krabi about the same. (These are all sea-front. Move inland a couple of kilometers and it will be less than 2/3rds of this). Down around Trat and Hat Noi on the Cambodian border even less. Cross the border into Cambo and you will find that Koh Kong and Sihanoukville are really cheap.

If you are talking about serious books, bring all with you. Outside Bangkok you will find a small selection of books about Thailand, current novels, that sort of thing (only). But this is a humid climate. If you really are looking at a hut on the beach, say goodbye to your books when you say goodbye to your second guitar .....

Don't drink in bars, but drink on the street - Yes, you're Danish.

Local poison, like Mekong or Sang Thip - cheap. But you may go blind before you finish your new Norse Saga.

Why the mainland? Most of our hippie wierdos are out on the islands. You will find many friends there and the locals will be more tolerant.

the other injecton you should probably think about is typhoid.

if you buy a laptop, you can also utilize it a music machine, though you might want to buy a good set of speakers(+ bass box) for it.... and also I would probably recommend you buy a UPS ( uninteruptable power supply ) with surge protection...save your battery shitting itself... but 500-600 euros should cover all that... maybe a 256meg USB memory stick to back up your lifes work... and to transfer stuff from the internet cafe in town to your laptop( and back again) 50 euro

1. There is malaria in Thailand - also Dengue fever (carried by another mosquito, not Anopheles). You take pills for malaria, both before you catch it and again when you've got it. Dengue fever is not so debilitating for Westerners as for locals, but will still put you on your back for a time.

2. On Thailand's mainland coastline  -  well now - In Pattaya a sea-front condo will start at 15,000 baht per month (300 Euro) - In Naklua, Jomtien about the same. Hua Hin, Rayong a little less - say 200 Euro. Krabi about the same. (These are all sea-front. Move inland a couple of kilometers and it will be less than 2/3rds of this). Down around Trat and Hat Noi on the Cambodian border even less. Cross the border into Cambo and you will find that Koh Kong and Sihanoukville are really cheap.

3. If you are talking about serious books, bring all with you. Outside Bangkok you will find a small selection of books about Thailand, current novels, that sort of thing (only). But this is a humid climate. If you really are looking at a hut on the beach, say goodbye to your books when you say goodbye to your second guitar .....

4. Local poison, like Mekong or Sang Thip - cheap. But you may go blind before you finish your new Norse Saga.

5. Why the mainland? Most of our hippie wierdos are out on the islands. You will find many friends there and the locals will be more tolerant.

1. Isn't the malaria and Denque fever mostly in Northern teritories?

2. What include a condo for 15,000 bath??? Do I have to buy additional satellite dish for my second tv, or for my satellite phone? I think we are talking about a hut - and down there - in Trat region the prices are about 2,500 baht /50 EUR/ p.m. /may be there are some changes now? - last time when I were there was in June last year - I flew with a small plane which tightened me up in my shoulders :o /

About the hippie islands - don't you think that it will be more expensive and it will be a little crowded?

3. Realy forgot - I haven't seen much books in Thailand! They have major problem with the books reading...

4. Mekong or Sang Thip - cheap - on ice, witg some cold soda - just a perfect drink!!! Believe me after one year and about 200 littres of both - my eyesight is as a hawk! :D

Gentleman said,

Well Henrik, if you are looking for total isolation away from people, why would you want an apartment and all the goodies - pen and paper, a good knife, morphine, a compass, hand mirror and a fishing rod, should do it.

Trust me, it will make your poetry very pure

What you would do after a year of loneliness and dengue fever from living in a hut and watching your books and guitars fall apart from the humidity

Face West using the compass,

write a suicide note with the pen and paper

stick it up in the air on the tip of the fishing rod

shoot up the morphine

slash your wrists with the good knife

and watch yourself bleed to death with the hand mirror.

Reading all these requirements about isolation with computer, sound systems....

a grass-made hut, preferable with air-condition... books, guitar and maybe a red carpet to enter.......

For sure, Thailand has all and everything, from cheapest to unbelieveable expensive......

No further comment by myself.... best you take a ticket, come to Thailand and see yourself.....

Check all and everything carefully and then go back to Europe and work out your own estimate.....

You will then know exactly what you need and how much you will spend in Thailand for your trip you are planning......

Johann

That's better. To KevinN, I'm not on some kind of death trip. I just need a place where I would not need to think about earning money for a year. I have serious studies to do and they will demand all of my time. We are facing catastrophy on a global level - believe me, I work for UNICEF, the children: 30.000 dead little bodies, every day, injustice has accumulated and it is our duty to help the poor - and every man or woman who might put some reason into the decadent Western peoples' heads is obliged to do so. But is it true that books are falling easily apart in the Siamese sphere? And how much, then, would a second fridge, for books, cost me?

I would like to hear some specific facts about the places where I can get a decent hut, near a city of some population, near the water, not necessarily on the mainland, for at most 1000 EURO a year.

Thanks for now

I personally found the area around Prachuab Kiri Khan, located south of Hua Hin, cheap and nice. Not so many foreigners there, plenty of cheap accomodation.

80 - 100 EURO per month for sure are enough for the accomodation.

Books are suffering in tropical climate. Same with computers, CD-DVD players and other electronic goods... Such equipment requires air-condition - humidity, dust, insects, wind near the sea....can cause seriously damage.

Simply said, to keep books and electronic devices secure, you need a better accomodation, which can be firmly locked, as otherwise it all will disappear by unwanted visitors. also good aircondition is required.... this costs money.....

See yourself during a short visit! This is the best. I cannot give you any other advice.

I think, you have never been out of your own country.

Life is quite different in Thailand.

Johann

KevinN~

Do you think that HenrikDK is a wind up? Maybe, it is hard to tell when someone ask questions or states a goal outside normal experience. I took it that he simply wanted to get away from people he knows now, not humanity in total. Moving to another country is a good way of doing that. Moving someplace that he can live inexpensively might be another motivator.

But I can see a bad moon rising, another drunken poet cussing at his dodgy laptop that just crashed, losing fifty thousand words of his rasion d'etre. What if Van Gogh had been using Photoshop? He was a bit edgy, no? I could see half his work glitched into the ether on a bad night.

But perhaps HenrikDK follows in the footsteps of Gauguin and needs the solace and inspiration of the tropics to focus. However it works out, no reason to hurry the end. He's in the midst of the "if only" demon and maybe Thailand is the answer. I have my doubts but it is his life. So if only he can find an inexpensive, low distraction, enviroment to gab with his muse perhaps the muse will talk back.

And how much shots cost in Denmark is anyone's guess. CDC info:SEA medical guide

Jeepz

1. Get a visa ( you can do that yourself ) fixed price.

2. Get a ticket, ask the travel agencies,check the papers.

3. Bring a few thousand baht. Change it at your bank.

4. bring travelers checks, up to you how much and you can change them back if you don't spend them.

5. Credit card for emergencies.

6. you don't have a portable sound system already ????

7. Come to Thailand and let the experience move you.

8. Don't take on too much advice but live your own life experience.

9. Get here fast, as you need to relax a bit methinks

10. Go home when your money BEGINS to run out and don't be another falang bum on an island.

good luck ! :o

JEEPZ; Did you READ his posts,,sounds to me like someone draggin something thru the water.

After reading his last post,I am not to sure anymore,sounds more like a real liberal nut in his early teens.

If the education of one self could stop world hunger and war and killing, then there is already plenty of people with such an education to stop it.

He can't even look at the net on the PC that he is using to find answers to the questions he is asking? Then how the ###### is he gonna come here,read books he already has,write Prose and poetry and then go out and save the world.

He comes here and continues to smoke the stuff he seems to be smokin now and he will have plenty of time to read and change the world while he is a govt. hosted guest in the BKK Hilton.

I just can't take such a thread serious. So a little levity seems in order.

KevinN~

Yeah, I agree, a bit of levity is in order. :o

How successful he'll be, if he is serious? Well, I'll have to agree with you, the prospects are dim.

Ninety percent of the time, questions asked have answers already provided if one takes the time to look. Many of us don't. I did support for software for a quite awhile, and have become inured to that aspect of peoples requests for assistance. Of course they could look it up for themselves. But it is such a bother. Much easier to let someone else look it up for them.

As to the tenor of his questions, well, I do try and give some leeway for non-native english speakers (and writers). They usually have a much more limited vocabulary to assemble their thoughts with. So nuance can be deceiving. On the other hand, sometimes it is not.

And I'm guessing late twenties to early thirties. Alcohol delays maturation.

Jeepz

Nice guesswork, gentlemen. I don’t wish to be degraded to a fool so I might try to explain a thing or two. My strange tongue has been seriously infected by thousands of different styles of writing, in Danish, in English, in French, in Spanish, in German, so it’s quite hard for me to stay out of linguistic enigmas and poetic contradictions. As a consequence of this I try to make my questions, my jokes (if you have not been laughing, you must be blind, my child) and my statements as clear as possible, i.e. in the style of Plutarch and Cicero. And the Homer I choose for my exile must be Chapman’s (“His posts sounds to me like someone draggin something thru the water” – a very rhythmic hexametre, Kevin). I am twenty years old. I am not building castles in terrified wonderlands like Spain or L’America. I have already created major parts of the work I am going to finish in Thailand, and I am convinced that I have already reached the goal, i.e. to create a collection of poetry which will amaze the people of this world (if there are any children left), and that Thailand will only bring the culmination of three years of hard toil and struggle. I do not need a laptop if it’s going to cost me too much or if it’s gonna be too troublesome, I‘ll scratch off with my pen a lot anyway, it’s just that a laptop is the best means of organizing, collecting and correcting. I am quite able to search the web for informations, but that would cost me a lot of valuable time as I would need to direct my search to very different categories and in every one of them to a thousand wicked money-lenders who are all going to offer me a special prize. I ask you because I assume that you have no reason not to be honest and because I thought that there might be just one who would know the perfect answer for each of my questions. To Kevin: the education of one self in itself cannot stop world hunger, war and killing, but you certainly will not be able to break the slightest bone in the arm of Injustice if you have never educated yourself. Discipline is required in these bestial times. To Jeepz: My muse is singing sweet songs of yore to me every night as I go almost sober to lie on my bed. To Kevin: We have a liberal government in Denmark right now. I do not support it, and I don’t support any of the other dirty governments who are an insult to the beauty of this world. I know that it’s hard for anyone these days to imagine that some man living in a Western democracy would refuse to make any dirty compromises, but there are still a few, and one day, getting closer, there shall be millions. Enough for now. Henrik

Jezus , plato and something something...

Get out of your head first before you come here.....

20 year old fool... Try stopping the weed for a time...

Nobody will give a f-u-ck about your Poetry...

Beside's give up your ego-trip as well as the other trips???

B