BABY SEATS (Part II) Does your baby use one in Thailand?

thehelmsman

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When in Rome.

Just back from TESCO ... MissFarmGirl and the two 7 months old in the back seat ... no-one wearing a seat-belt let alone harnessed into a proper Baby seat*

I'll get called a bad Father for allowing this ... but it is what it is.

BTW ... I ride in the back of the truck with the other relatives when it's not raining.

* will be different in the West ... the Law requires it there.

• Like 2

When in Rome.

Just back from TESCO ... MissFarmGirl and the two 7 months old in the back seat ... no-one wearing a seat-belt let alone harnessed into a proper Baby seat*

BTW ... I ride in the back of the truck with the other relatives when it's not raining.

I am very very surprised to read your above comment. You come across as a responsible guy on this forum who is very proud of his children and doesnt let a chance go by to show it on here.

When in Rome......i read it as who wears the trousers in the relationship.

I sincerely ask you, regarding this topic, to act in Rome with your Aussie mindset even if it causes frictions. Your children are precious.

Good for being honest though.

There was a time not that long ago when baby seats weren't used in the west. How on earth did civilization survive???

Good to read that you found a justification for your own actions related to this topic.

• Like 2

I have a friend who's a pilot for Thai airways, with all the training they get about safety etc i'm amazed to see a photo of his wife holding the baby on the way home from the hospital.

I

• Like 1

To put the above comment of mine in perspective, most of the time the Twins are traveling is not in my vehicle.

It's the Farm Truck which is a 2+2 .. and the '+2' has no option for car seats.

They would travel once, maybe twice a week to the local TESCO ... and that's about the extent of their travels.

I trust their Grandfather as he is a good-excellent driver, safety aware when it comes to driving and other vehicles.

Sure ... you can't account for other drivers.

I guess I shouldn't even bring up the topic of little ones riding on motorbikes, yikes.

Now ... there is an issue that scares me more then not having Baby Car Seats.

I used to ride professionally ... a Motorcycle Courier in London and in Australia.

Still have a bike.

In a quiet village and mindfull of the soi dogs ... not a major issue ... but in busier roads, infants/kids/adults without helmets ... smiley-scared001.gif

I'd be more worried about a 3.5kg meat missile flying around the cabin if I got in an accident. Everyone else wears a seat restraint, why not the kid?

Edited by eeeya

I'd be more worried about a 3.5kg meat missile flying around the cabin if I got in an accident. Everyone else wears a seat restraint, why not the kid?

I brought up the topic because I have never seen a Thai use a car seat for baby and was curious about the foreigners who have kids.

• Like 1

When in Rome.

I am very very surprised to read your above comment. You come across as a responsible guy on this forum who is very proud of his children and doesnt let a chance go by to show it on here.

I sincerely ask you, regarding this topic, to act in Rome with your Aussie mindset even if it causes frictions. Your children are precious.

There was a time not that long ago when baby seats weren't used in the west. How on earth did civilization survive???

Actually, on a personal level, we didn't, although civilisation survived. A report presented at the Ircobi conference last year shows that fatal accidents involving children has been reduced by 83% since we began using child car seats. The report investigated accidents between 1956-2011.

• Like 1

We got given a baby seat from a Thai family. Also the company I work for in Thailand gives employees with new borns a free car seat. Good quality one too!

eeeya ... great company policy ... thumbsup.gif

Is it available at all levels ... or just the management Team?

Hard to conceive that the company would give it to the 300 Bahters a day though.

However, if they do ... even better.

We have 2 cars and each a baby seat.

My wife mostly uses her car to bring and take her (3.5 years) to/from school .

Our girl always get locked in her seat, no exceptions.

No minibus or song teaw transport unlike other children in the village.

Edited by tartempion

YES!

Honestly, with the amount of accidents on the road here it is even more important that kids and babies are in a car seat or wearing a seatbelt.

I feel really strongly about this. I think it's so irresponsible for those that say "when in Thailand....etc". We were exposed to years and years of road safety campaigns in the UK and for good reason. They've never had anything like that in Thailand and this is one of the reasons why so many people die on the roads here.

I could never forgive myself if I was involved in a serious accident here and something awful (god forbid) should happen to kid that was travelling in my car and wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

Putting a kid in a car seat or insisting they wear a seatbelt is such a simple thing to do that really could save their life. It's a no brainer not to in my opinion.

And it's ok saying, "i'm a great driver....never had an accident etc" but jsut about every Thai person I see on the roads is a terrible driver and all it takes is some clown to slam into the back of you as they're speeding through town....

Edited by pinkpanther99
  • Like 1

When in Rome.

I had you pegged as smarter than that. When in Rome does not apply to common sense.

Not only Kids and Babies. If an adult want to travel with me in my car in the backseat I tell them to use the safety belt, If there is an accident I do not want the backseat passenger flying in my back squeezing me toward the steering wheel.

If they refuse they can take a taxi. (has never happened, and most actually seams glad that someone in a bit concerned about the safety.)

• Like 2

When in Rome.

Good to read that you found a justification for your own actions related to this topic.

He isn't justifying anything. He's right on all counts. There's a huge difference.