Little Snake identification

Hi!

Lately i am getting lots of these little snakeys, it must have been mating season or they all joined a "friends reunited" sort of event.

They are grey on top and white with reddish strings on the reverse, thanks.

post-193352-0-71455700-1412397206_thumb.

post-193352-0-82150700-1412397257_thumb.

post-193352-0-35650700-1412397364_thumb.

post-193352-0-61664600-1412397440_thumb.

Hi Costas, that's just a way to make sure he or his possible descendent will not trespass again.

For as far i am concern, i consider them all to be lethal, as i cannot identify the dangerous ones from the not dangerous.

I wish they would stay in the wild, but somehow they prefer to come into my home... the catfish in the pond seems to appreciate it though, while the neighbours will not eat them raw but BBQ is ok for them

Yes it must to be a Kukri, thanks Canuckamuck and well done for the right pick thumbsup.gif

After reading about it, i will still consider this snake reasonably dangerous....

" these teeth are used in a slashing manner which can cause gaping wounds that may bleed profusely - probably an effect of the snake's saliva which is rumored to possess anticoagulant qualities."

"possess weak venom, which is injected by means of a pair of enlarged teeth at the back of the maxillae (upper jaw). These "fangs" typically point backwards rather than straight down, possess a groove which channels venom into the prey, and are located roughly halfway back in the mouth, which has led to the vernacular name of "rear-fanged snakes"

For me that's enough to make it an undesirable home's guest laugh.png

Just because it's a snake doesn't mean it's dangerous. If you don't know what they are, try learning what they are. Of the hundreds of snakes in Thailand there are only 8 snakes species you should worry about. If you are a diver then you worry about sea snakes which there are several. Rarely is a diver bitten unless he is too stupid enough to grab one. Only two will not run from you and unless you are out in the jungle or rice patty your chances of seeing one is very rare. Those are the Malaysian Pit and the Russel's Viper. The other 5 are quite large and easily spotted and they are more afraid of you and run the other way. If you see one, stop, do not move and they will move away from you. They are less of a threat to you than you are to them. If I happen to see you walking down the street toward me, what should I do? Cut your head off? Boy is that tempting....

Here a link to enlighten yourself: http://www.siam-info.com/english/snakes_poisonous.html

If you later get bit that's on you, you didn't learn anything. But don't kill just because you don't understand.

Edited by Mrjlh
  • Like 1

Mrjlh you might want to read the whole thread again and again, at least until you understand the difference between some of the points been written above, i will write here some of them just to make it easier for you.

1) There is a big difference between the words "lethal" and "dangerous", so, just because something might not kill you, that doesn't mean it is not dangerous, etc...

2) A "street" it's something completely different from a "home", unless you are a hobo, this kind of confusion is not excusable....

3) Standing still when you already spotted it inside the house, in my personal experience only contributes to let it hide in a less visible space inside the place where you live, rarely they will decide to take the right direction, so, even if you forget about the anxiety of having a possible lethal threat inside your own home, you might get bitten in a multitude of different involuntary unfortunate events later on...

4) If you have pets living inside your home, or kids, people with disabilities, etc, they are endangered too, not everyone it's "enlighten" as you are...

5) Not all people decides to step on a snake because they are willing to, think for example, of those brief moments when at night, you do some steps in the dark toward the light switch....or when you move during your sleep in your bed, what happen if you cover with your body a snake lying in there??

6,7,8,9,....) Should i keep going or have you done your "maths" yet?

Thank you for your concerns.

Well, to be honest, my dear, in this particular instance, i would rather keep my "ignorance" as you wrote, than your "know-it-all" kind of attitude that all people with a minimum of common sense understand to where it leads to....enough said.

OP... Your "kill what you don't understand" says it all. You were never in any danger nor were anyone around you. Why even ask for an ID if you have no desire to learn? If you simply opened the link provided you might actually learn something new. But I can see that's not in your genes. Darwin award now comes to mind.

• Like 1

Mrjlh, i did read the info i was looking for and i also understood them (something that you and somebody else here apparently lack of, understand what you read), that reading actually confirmed i did the right thing, but as i wasn't sure of it, i did request some more accurate knowledge about it, for which i am grateful for the reply and that's all about it, how long do you want to continue in your useless and inappropriate replies? Really, i stand by what i wrote, just try to understand it, it will cause you no harm, unless the snake we are discussing about (!)

Quite confident it is a red bellied Kukri snake. Having some internet problems now though can' get you a pic.

here's a link

Yours seems to be juvenile and doesn't have all the adult markings yet.

Not a dangerous snake.

OP . . your snake is not the species suggested above. It, "doesn't have all the adult markings yet", because it is not an Ornate (red-bellied) Kukri. These do not even occur in Thailand, they are only found in Taiwan & parts of China.

It is in fact a Striped Kukri Snake (Oligodon taeniatus). Again, a harmless species . . http://bangkokherps.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/striped-kukri-snake/

Getting precise/correct snake ID's is very important, especially with some confusing lookalike species that are venomous, hope i've cleared this one up for you all. wai.gif

I bow to Goshawk's better info. He is right. I should have tried harder (internet was wonky though). And in my defense it is virtually the same snake. I did not know there were two kukri's with that strange belly pattern. And the head markings are identical.

Good call Goshawk

Good to know, thanks Goshawk, that's even better, as if this snake it's not venomous it doesn't need to be suppressed, i will try to make one of those stick usually used to pick up leaves for a safe removal and throw it back in the fields.

Accordingly to this link, there is been confusion over these snakes till very recent years, by the "professionals" of the field

http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/full/191952/0