What waterpump for my pond.

I have a small fish pond in my garden.

Dimensions 180cm x 90cm x 35cm.

Apparently this equates to: 150 US Gallons. 125 UK Gallons. 567 Liters.

I want powerful water pump to oxygenate it.

I previously had 4 small pumps that cost 100-150b each, tubes going into the water with balls on the end that the bubbles came out of.

In less than a year each of these pumps were dead.

So I think I'd like one big one instead.

Any idea of what size would be good? I haven't the first clue about such things.

Thanks.

Sorry, I guess it's a large air pump that pumps air into it, that I'm looking for, not a water pump.

I guess I'm looking for what power I should get to give it a decent blast of oxygen.

Edited by Danhig

Sorry, I guess it's a large air pump that pumps air into it, that I'm looking for, not a water pump.

I guess I'm looking for what power I should get to give it a decent blast of oxygen.

water pump ? air pump ?

water pump with the air attachment screwed in is very good, also moves the water so if put in a corner the water will move all around the pond... size depends on how much air and water movement you want.. maybe a 'King 4' with a 3/4" a air attachment screwed in, more movement the a 'King 6' and a 1" air attachment screwed in.. [bought last month another King 4 cost 1,200 baht + 3/4" air attachment to screw in 90 baht]

Air Pump, these do not go into the pond Do NOT get wet + do Not let water go back up the tube into the air pump....... if you have a power cut remover the tubes going to the air ball in the pond from air pump....... about 4 years ago I forgot on one of mine and that was the end of the air pump, was a 12 way tube type and cost over 4,000 baht.. now-a-day I use AC/DC pumps so if the electric goes out the back-up automatically takes over for 4 hours, price is again on size, believe start around 2,000 baht [mine are all big ones costing between 8 - 12.000 baht each]

I have in one pond and works very well.......... 4 x the little water pumps 'Sonic' with Air tubes @ 140 baht each...... buy the round plastic filter comes with a filter pad inside + with rubber that pushes on from Fish supply shop/market @ 45 baht each...... myself went to the 20 baht shop and bought a tall washing basket one with large holes all around, from the Fish Markets bought 4 rubber connectors from the out tube of pump to 1/2" blue PVC pipe cut to the length I wanted......... so all 4x pumps sit in the basket = VERY good and if a pump stops 3 others still work + a new replacement cost 140 baht not 1,200 or more baht..

there is one problem with the water pumps, the spindle is made of hard plastic........ over the past 11 years the pump failure has always been the same the spindle snaps.. = why now I only have all my pumps the same model 'RESUN King' as have found a place at the fish market wholesalers [100km south of BKK] that sell the new motor with spindle [depends on pump size 3 - 450 baht each]

'RESUN King 6' with a 1" air attachment pumps 8500 lt per hour so lots of movement, but guess you would only need a King 4 = 4800 lt per hour or even a King 3 ?

If you do not know what I am talking about - buy the round plastic filter comes with a filter pad inside- here is a picture

post-42643-0-27838900-1412555671_thumb.j

• Like 1

If you can't find any solutions you should maybe consider taking a trip to Bangkoks Chatuchak market. Here they are specialized in selling all kind of fish and fish related equipment. I have seen many different sizes of tanks where they keep these Japanese karps/koi, so talking to some of these guys may help solve the problem. And here you can easily find a total solution.

Just a reminder,Air pumps need maintenance,you have to take them apart,

check the diaphragm has no splits in it,clean the flapper valves,best to use an

ear bud,and clean the air filter if it has one,maintained,they should run for long

time.

You can also use a submersible pump,(not air pump),fitted with a venturi,this

would give you as much air as an air pump, they also need regular maintenance,

mostly just cleaning the impeller,and sponge filter if fitted.

regards worgeordie