Shorten my address

JimmerJJ

Hello all, Recently moved here and really enjoying it. I need to shorten my address for various things that I need to get mail from the states. Often only have a few lines to enter it as I'm sure many here have experienced.

For example my address is:

xxxxxx Apartments

48 Room 48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101

Sukhumvit Road

Bangchak Prakanong

Bangkok, 10260 Thailand

I would like to leave out Sukhumvit Road since the street is Sukhumvit Soi 101 so Sukhumvit road seems redundant.

And also leave out Bangchak Prakanong since I will use the postcode 10260 which is for that district. Would that be a problem?

Also the apartment address is "48 Sukhumvit Soi 101" but the apartment manager said to insert my room (apt) # after 48 like "48 Room 48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101" which seems a little odd since the apt # usually (in USA) goes by itself. But maybe that's how they do it here?huh.png

Thank you!

I'd shorten it as followed:

"48/9 Sukhumvit R, Soi 101

xxxxxx Apartments
Bangkok, 10260 Thailand"
Note that building # usually comes first. So, I'd start with 9 followed by "/" and then 48 as apt number. However, if the building # really is 48/9 (as sometimes it is), then I'd insert Apt #48 between the first line and the name of the condo.
For thai post information, keep in mind that Bangchak Prakanong specifies the area so that it can provide full details for speedy delivery.

Not quite sure, whether I got it.

Seems like 48 is the number of the plot (land)? (like a house nr)

And you live in room 9?

10260 is the postal code for Prakanong.

Bangchak is a subdistrict of Prakanong.

On the countryside/provinces you should not leave out such information, as otherwise the plot/housenumbers are ambigious.

But as you have street names/soi numbers in Bangkok, it should be OK there.

Waiting for other opinions.

My idea:

---------------------

John Doe

xxxxxx Apartments, Room 9

48/9 Sukhumvit Road Soi 101

Bangkok, 10260

Thailand

--------------------

48/9:

the "/" separates the plot nr. and "subdivisions" on the plot (like shop houses or apartments).

In you case it sounds like the appartement number used by the apartment manager and this number after the "/" are identical.

This makes sense, but is not always the case.

Most appartment houses use a separate numbering order by floors and location on the floor.

101, 102, 103...

201, 202, 203..

AND these numbers are NOT identlical with the numbering in the land documents.

OP, why?

Too lazy to write the whole address?

Seriously, can't see the point of what you are asking.

I'd suggest to read the OP as many times as you need so that you don't need to post irrelevant questions and waste your time. Here's is a hint: I need to shorten my address for various things that I need to get mail from the states. Often only have a few lines to enter

Sorry, OP, Please don't be so hard with me.

Next time, I will pay more attention to your OP.

But still think, you can fit your address to those few lines, but again who am I to tell?

OP, why?

Stupid answer!

It is a problem to fill such long address information for senders from USA, Europe like government offices, banks etc. who use IT.

The IT systems simply don't allow it to enter.

• Like 1

Not quite sure, whether I got it.

Seems like 48 is the number of the plot (land)? (like a house nr)

And you live in room 9?

10260 is the postal code for Prakanong.

Bangchak is a subdistrict of Prakanong.

On the countryside/provinces you should not leave out such information, as otherwise the plot/housenumbers are ambigious.

But as you have street names/soi numbers in Bangkok, it should be OK there.

Waiting for other opinions.

My idea:

---------------------

John Doe

xxxxxx Apartments, Room 9

48/9 Sukhumvit Road Soi 101

Bangkok, 10260

Thailand

--------------------

48/9:

the "/" separates the plot nr. and "subdivisions" on the plot (like shop houses or apartments).

In you case it sounds like the appartement number used by the apartment manager and this number after the "/" are identical.

This makes sense, but is not always the case.

Most appartment houses use a separate numbering order by floors and location on the floor.

101, 102, 103...

201, 202, 203..

AND these numbers are NOT identlical with the numbering in the land documents.

He lives Room 48.

Edited by Will2011

Note that building # usually comes first. So, I'd start with 9 followed by "/" and then 48 as apt number.

That is what I am unsure about.

Is it plot nr. 9, apartment nr. 48 or vice versa?

And yes plot number comes first.

If one has that in the wrong order, this will lead to confusion.

I've seen houses with four digits such as 72/54. So, if the OP's condo really contains 48/9 as an address number, then he should specify his Room # in another line for the sake of readability.

I think the shortest he could safely make it is:

John Doe
xxxxxx Apartments, Rm 48
48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101
Bangchak Prakanong
Bangkok, 10260
TH

48/9 is probably the building number assigned in the House Book it usually has nothing to do with the land plot number. It's usually assigned in order of processing at the time.

He should keep the district as sometimes bad penmanship can get the mail dirverted to the wrong place. Resulting in additional delay.

He could drop the "xxxxxx Apartments, Rm 48" as it usually isn't necessary. The bulding management should know who lives in what room.

John Doe
48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101
Bangchak Prakanong
Bangkok, 10260
TH

Should work fine.

Edited by BB1950
  • Like 1

OP, why?

I'd suggest to read the OP as many times as you need so that you don't need to post irrelevant questions and waste your time. Here's is a hint: I need to shorten my address for various things that I need to get mail from the states. Often only have a few lines to enter

But still think, you can fit your address to those few lines, but again who am I to tell?

Well, often you can't fit a Thai address to some forms, especially online. So it doesn't matter what you think, you're still wrong. And still posing up pointless posts question why the OP asked the question. Everyone else seems to get it.

• Like 2

TITV! (This is Thai Visa).

You bothered to post twice in this thread and yet provided no meaningful info whatsoever ...

Costas, I live in Isaan. My adress consists of my name, my road, my village, my town, my province, my post code, and to finish it all off, THailand.

Been here 6 years. Of all the mail I've received (not including friends and rellies) from 7 different countries, only one corporation gets it all correctly. All the rest, including governments, make a real hodge-podge of the address. It's no wonder that a fair amount of my mail is either misdirected or just goes missing.

A delivery service gave me a package containing a bloody expensive Meade telescope. The driver left it with me because he couldn't speak English and I was the only foreigner in the village. I phoned the intended recipient and got it delivered to him...about 80 metes up the road. So it's not just ThaiPost, it's potentially any delivery service.

Sorry to have gone off topic there...

OP, why?

I've found some highly "computerized" institutions such as Overseas Banks, Government Departments etc., have a problem with long addresses in Thailand. In particular when you include the "Tambon" and "Amphor" Seems their "Sacred Computers" just "can't compute" such information.

Have to admit, I've wondered why Thailand doesn't also insist on GPS Details to be included in postal addresses, they toss in everything else....

but that's a whole "other" argument isn't it?

Edited by Torrens54

Correct adress should be;

Your Name

48/9 No 48

Bangchak Prakanong

Bangkok 10260

Thailand

There is a habit of adding everything into an address in Thailand, name of buildings, Village, Soi, road, this is done just to "make sure". There is only on building with that number in a sub district, which makes name of apartment unnecessary, Moo (if there is one) will tell wich area of sub district and makes adding soi and or village unnecessary.

A correct address is;

Name

House No, Moo and or apartment No

Sub district District

Province

000/00 Moo 0

Nong Prue, Bang Lamung

Chon Buri 20260

Living in an a condo in BKK for the last 5 years and I get mail from all over the world so understand the problem. The format I use and is virtually trouble-free (apart from Australia Post losing things at their end) is as follows.

Building number/Apartment number Building name

Street Name

Suburb, Post code

Region (State)

Country

So I think this would look like this for the OP's address:

48/9 xxxxxx Apartments

Sukhumvit Soi 101

Bangchak, 10260

Bangkok

Thailand

If they have a space for city then put Prakanong in there.

The numbers in Thailand are not street numbers, but lot numbers. These are assigned when the land is split up and seems to be on a first come, first served or random basis. So you may well find 5 next to 22 etc when looking at building numbers, so basically meaningless. That is why the building name is important. However the building manager refers to the apartment is what to use for the apartment number, this should be on your lease document.

Cheers.

Costas2008, on 05 Oct 2014 - 15:24, said:snapback.png

Costas2008, on 05 Oct 2014 - 15:37, said:

OP, why?

Hello Earth to Costas, I can't believe your responses! They show how out of touch you are and are almost laughable. Everybody else here gets it that there are certain situations i.e.with online forms, that restrict how many characters you are allowed to enter but you don't. Before attacking people as being "lazy" at least know what the issue is.

Thanks to all for your information. This is really a great resource.

Will and Kuhn thanks too. Yes my street address is (example because I don't post a lot of personal info on the Internet for safety) 48 Sukhumvit Soi 101 and walking outside I looked at my building and there is a big 48 number on it. My apartment door says "48/9" and I don't know why they put the 48 seems like it could just be Apt 9 but for whatever reason they include the building number on our apartment doors. But anyway I have gathered enough information from the posts here to shorten it. I might try sending myself or have a relative send a letter just to test if it makes it.

Just an fyi. Some of my banks and credit union in USA only allow you 2 lines for the street address. Thanks to the Patriot Act banks in the US require your physical address. When I was in the US I tried to enter a PO Box and it is automatically rejected it because in the US they can automatically check an address to see if it meets the requirements for being a physical address (course here they probably can't but still they want a physical address). Some banks will allow for a separate mailing address which I think can be a PO Box but like Bank of America they don't. They do use a separate address for your credit card which at least for me can be a PO Box and I have a mail forwarding service in the US that will get any new credit card and then FedEx it to my address in Bangkok (safer that way I think). With Citibank (USA) you can enter a foreign address for checking/saving but they only allow a USA address on the credit card (online there is no option to change to a different country).

I called my credit union and the rep there said she too was restricted on how much she could enter for my address. So sometimes even if you call they might not be able to do any better.

Thanks again!!

Edited by JimmerJJ

I've lived in several cities all over Thailand now in 9 years. Some of my addresses were twice a long as yours and I have never had a problem with my mail other than laziness. Some forms are too short that's for sure. But if you are still worried try combining lines. I.E.:

Khun xxxxxxxx

xxxxxx Apartments, Room 48,

48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101, Sukhumvit Rd

Bangchak Prakanong, Bangkok

Thailand 10260

As opposed to:

xxxxxx Apartments

48 Room 48/9 Sukhumvit Soi 101

Sukhumvit Road

Bangchak Prakanong

Bangkok, 10260 Thailand

See the difference? You can also abbreviate.

You really don't need Room 48 twice. Also every Condo/apartment in Thailand is considered it's own separate address therefore your apt number 48/9 on your door. You are at address 48/9 on Soi (road) Sukhumvit 101, which is off the main road Sukhumvit. Thereby giving the post office an intersection to locate you. Some of the minor side streets cross several major roads so its a way of getting mail to you sooner. And some people even shorten their address even shorter but they risk their mail getting lost. They shorten it if they know they will be in the house a long time (like buying a condo or house). Postal carriers get to know you as do the people in the post office when you are a foreigner. In Korat I moved within the village and still got my mail to the new one even though my mail had the wrong address. They knew who I was.

Edited by Mrjlh

JimmerJJ:

You are wrong regarding Citibank credit cards. I have 2, and they both use my Thai address. Sometimes websites aren't set up to accept foreign addresses, but a toll free phone call is all that is needed to get it changed. I have found Citibank to be most co-operative about my foreign address.

Mrjih it's not about laziness it's about not having sufficient space to enter everything in the address fields online. Get it? Are you related to Costas? :-)

Also re-read my posts you got the building and room number all mixed up anyway.

• Like 1