Move My Thai Number Plate To New Car

Just checking on the following with the standard white background plate and black print.

If the owner wants to keep the number plates on a registered car with correct documents, can this plates be moved to another car at the licence office by paying a fee and completing the required paper work ?

Some people have told me with the standard white background plate they stay with the car, while another guy told me you can keep your old number and have the paperwork changed and pay the fee.

It may be its not allowed but he knew the boss in the licence office and managed to work a deal.

Stays with the Original Car. You cant work a deal,

Ace thanks for the info.

Please can you confirm I am correct here

Regarding the plates with the white background, if there is some number you would like, it is possible to go request this from the transport office and if you are in luck that it becomes available you pay the fee and then you can fix the new plate and then return the old plates.

Or

Would the vehicle have to be on red plates and then you fit your requested number if available.

• Like 1

if you buy the car out of your province you have 14 days to registrar at your province i have bought 2 cars out of province

and they have given me a choice of plates 'which one you want'

you can also buy a number from their auction but they will put your province at the bottom

Edited by geezer2

Stays with the Original Car. You cant work a deal,

Ace thanks for the info.

Please can you confirm I am correct here

Regarding the plates with the white background, if there is some number you would like, it is possible to go request this from the transport office and if you are in luck that it becomes available you pay the fee and then you can fix the new plate and then return the old plates.

Or

Would the vehicle have to be on red plates and then you fit your requested number if available.

We had a Citroen D.S, in the family here from new.The Digit was 7. so i tried all ways to transfer it.Not a Chance, even with Tea Money.Perhaps things have changed, but doubt it , restoration was our only way.

What about the guys who pay millions for "lucky" numbers?

I doubt they will give the "lucky" number away with the car when they sell it?

What if the car is written off in an accident"?

smile.png

Right on.....those "lucky numbers" didn't have to stay with the original car, they were reused.

What about the guys who pay millions for "lucky" numbers?

I doubt they will give the "lucky" number away with the car when they sell it?

What if the car is written off in an accident"?

smile.png

My thought also. Perhaps if you buy one in an auction you get some certificate that allows you to transfer it to another car.

Personally don't care what plate the vehicle has.

A few years ago I changed my plates at Chauchak Land Transport Office as the original was considered 'unlucky'. Can't remember the fee but it was small. Last week I requested a number for a new car from lists they have and got the one I wanted without any extra charges.

A few years ago I changed my plates at Chauchak Land Transport Office as the original was considered 'unlucky'. Can't remember the fee but it was small. Last week I requested a number for a new car from lists they have and got the one I wanted without any extra charges.

Quite correct, dealers also have a list too.You can also request a new No and they make the plates within the hour and destroy your old ones at all big Licence Buildings .Bought Personal Plates can be transferred.Rather funny when i was last there, a chap with a B.M had his old plates Superglued on, No way would they hand over the new ones till he had bashed the old ones away. Most Indignant he was too.biggrin.png

if you buy the car out of your province you have 14 days to registrar at your province i have bought 2 cars out of province

you can also buy a number from their auction but they will put your province at the bottom

Bought my last car in BKK and it was on red plates for 3 months before the paperwork came through, I'm in Isaan. Went to the Transport Office and ask for an easy number, no problem, they offered me one that was about 20 odd after the next available. Gave them a couple hundred for their trouble.

How do certain people get away with never having a number plate? Last place I lived a bloke down the road changed cars about 5 times, always flash imports, none of them ever had a licence plate fitted.

I've been informed that if you only drive in your city you don't need number plates! Why is the question? Does that mean no tax and insurance too?

Why does it take so long to register a vehicle? 10 weeks and still on a red plate.

Because your dealer is not paying the registration fees but sitting on the money.

Not if you buy out of Province and registration is included in the purchase price.

Why does it take so long to register a vehicle? 10 weeks and still on a red plate.

Because your dealer is not paying the registration fees but sitting on the money.

Not if you buy out of Province and registration is included in the purchase price.

Paid dealer for registration when purchaced. Did not buy out of Province. Not particularly worried about it, just seems rather a slow process.

This has nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with this.

To get a car registered, and yes, registration is required, even if you only drive in your own street, the dealer has to pay fees. And quite often dealers delay this, so the car gets not registered. In the mean time people drive around on red plates, fake or real, or without plates.

1 month on red plates is allowed, but the plates come with restrictions.

Paid dealer for registration when purchaced. Did not buy out of Province. Not particularly worried about it, just seems rather a slow process.

Yes, you paid him but he did not pay the DLT.

Yes, you paid him but he did not pay the DLT.

I will pop back this week and ask dealer. My Thai language is not that good but I like a challenge.

Bought my last car in BKK and it was on red plates for 3 months before the paperwork came through, I'm in Isaan. Went to the Transport Office and ask for an easy number, no problem, they offered me one that was about 20 odd after the next available. Gave them a couple hundred for their trouble.

Must be bloody daft.