CM featured in NYT

jobin

" most influential newspaper in English speaking world. "

Really? cheesy.gif

Yes. Obviously.

cheesy.gif

Apparently not in the the emoticon speaking world.

OP. Thanks for sharing that excellent New York Times article about the Thai economy.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thomas Fuller lives in Thailand and does very thoughtful reporting. Part of why we subscribe to the International NYT is to read his articles. Good to see this article has made the global edition, not just the Asian edition. It appears to be well-researched and a good overview of the problems facing the country. Yes, there's a reason the NYT is the most influential newspaper in the English-speaking world, this article is a good example, as is the fact that the NYT has full-time coverage of the situation in Thailand.

I think he means in 'the American speaking world".

The Times (UK) and the Guardian (UK) are high quality papers also.

The NYT might have the circulation and influence in the USA, but let's not get carried away.

The New York Times has a readership and influence that go far beyond "the American speaking world."

Lets settle this once and for all...as much as you talk about England or the United States media......in the end its Rupert Murdoch's (a former Australian) empire as a conglomerate is the most influential....politics/economy/sport/finance.....all of it smile.png

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 1

cheesy.gif

Apparently not in the the emoticon speaking world.

OP. Thanks for sharing that excellent New York Times article about the Thai economy.

cheesy.gif

You must be the Marcel Marceau of Thai Visa.

If you don't agree with the proposition at least argue it by nominating other publications instead of using inane emoticons.

• Like 1

So does the Daily Mail................

True enough... but the New York Times has a more educated [and influential] readership worldwide.

and if my Aunty had balls she's be my Uncle........

And to me...it was interesting but superficial.....no real analysis or where to now, hardly in depth and more of a water cooler (or Thaivisa) discussion..

It would have been nice if its was more substantial than gathering coup, third world economy, and rainfall to make an article. Its a bit sad if this is the level of fluff being directed at the "more educated [and influential] readership worldwide"

Can we get back to the CM focus now instead of who has the better news service....coz all in all this was not a good example to base a claim on.

Edited by mamborobert
  • Like 2

So does the Daily Mail................

True enough... but the New York Times has a more educated [and influential] readership worldwide.

and if my Aunty had balls she's be my Uncle........

And to me...it was interesting but superficial.....no real analysis or where to now, hardly in depth and more of a water cooler (or Thaivisa) discussion..

It would have been nice if its was more substantial than gathering coup, third world economy, and rainfall to make an article. Its a bit sad if this is the level of fluff being directed at the "more educated [and influential] readership worldwide"

Can we get back to the CM focus now instead of who has the better news service....coz all in all this was not a good example to base a claim on.

My simple statement of fact was answered by a ribald put-down.

You're not a Daily Mail reader, are you?

The relative merits of the New York Times as a newspaper is indeed germane to the topic.

I stand by what I posted.

Edited by CMHomeboy78

Anyway, as it seems that I'm among the few who actually read the article, I think it's a but early to claim a drought, given that the rainy season isn't quite over yet and often has a bit of a sting in the tail.

Also tourist numbers aren't all that bad, and besides don't affect farmers in any way. Pretty average article overall.

• Like 2

Anyway, as it seems that I'm among the few who actually read the article, I think it's a but early to claim a drought, given that the rainy season isn't quite over yet and often has a bit of a sting in the tail.

Also tourist numbers aren't all that bad, and besides don't affect farmers in any way. Pretty average article overall.

I enjoyed the article but as you say it was average. Actually for the NYT pretty good. It was interesting that it did not exactly blame the government in that it did mention a world wide turn down. Much of it hinted at the past administration and completely avoided the present one. Leaving readers to believe Thailand is unique and not going to change just go down hill. All of course done in a polite way. As you say the rainy season is not over yet and it is not high season. That will tell about the tourist coming to Thailand. The tally is of course way down as the country was being promoted world wide as unsafe. When in fact it was only a few areas in Bangkok. They don't count the south when they recommend safety or lack of safety.

As of now it is sit back and watch the show. All we can do is get some popcorn.

Pretty sure the laughter is for the "most influential" comment. Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and/or Financial Times advocates would probably tend to disagree.

Precisely. I could have gone with 'one of the most...' but there are other newspapers of record around the world that are equally influential.

let me see, rice farmer borrows 200,000bht for kids education.

Education for the poor, at most of the 'RAT' universities is 25,000bht per year .......

The numbers don't add up!

I wondered about that too, but maybe her child isn't in a teacher's or farmer's college. Maybe the kid is at Chula or Thammasat and has fees for dorm, books, lab fees, uniforms, transportation and perhaps even tutoring because of substandard secondary public school education.

Pretty sure the laughter is for the "most influential" comment. Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, and/or Financial Times advocates would probably tend to disagree.

Precisely. I could have gone with 'one of the most...' but there are other newspapers of record around the world that are equally influential.

Being influential is not equal to responsible. The NYT has been living off it's reputation for a while now in my opinion.

This story was put in because they didn't have any real news. It was just filler material.