what up with Thai ghetto culture in schools?

My family and I moved back to thailand recently from several years in the US. During the school holidays I had my 5 year daughter enrolled in an art class at one of the Christian schools near to Sathorn.

Well today I'm in the reception waiting area and the "school" has a rap song playing over the speakers.....50cent P.I.M.P....with all the mofoking words in the lyrics...at a primary school....a religious school....for everyone to hear.

I'm sure the guy that put on the music probably can't understand a word of English or perhaps he may think thats a great song for Thai children. ...I don't think it great for my child who might not understand the meaning of the lyric can certainly understand the words.

You are old and out of touch MOFO. I hate your title. It is very racist but I see it is your way of trying to be clever. Perhaps a less offensive title like "what to do when inappropriate music is played at school."

I actually can totally relate though. I would just politely speak to the person and inform them of the nature of the song. If your Thai isn't good enough, then let your wife do it.

I wouldn't get too upset about it overall though. Just have to spend time explaining things to your child when they ask.

• Like 1

Find somebody in authority.

Tell them, "Your employees have put on songs with foul language." "This is very impolite." "Are they from the Khlong Toey slum?"

That will do the trick.

If you can say it in Thai, you will have triple the effect. Thais immediately disassociate from anything labelled as scummy, coarse, impolite or low class.

• Like 1

thanks I appreciate the advice, unfortunately when I heard that song I felt too embarrassed to actually explain what the lyrics meant or why it was offensive. I'm sure the guy had no idea what the song was about and I've heard it played in thai department stores in the past, but at a christian primary school - I was surprised.

I am an avid listener of rap and hip-hop music. I was not raised in a ghetto and have never lived in one. I am a Caucasian American from the west coast. I get you don't want your daughter listening to this type of music at her age. I don't get why you associate it with the term "ghetto" in a very ignorant and stereotypical manner.

• Like 1

Give SnoopDoggyDogg's first record 'doggystyle' a listen..then you won't hate rap so much.. of course it's 'associated with a ghetto' it's gangsta rap..if you want clean rap listen to kpop f(x) with the boyish american koprean girl doin the rap.. but i'll stik with old school gangsta rap(when i wanna listen to rap.

I am an avid listener of rap and hip-hop music. I was not raised in a ghetto and have never lived in one. I am a Caucasian American from the west coast. I get you don't want your daughter listening to this type of music at her age. I don't get why you associate it with the term "ghetto" in a very ignorant and stereotypical manner.

Yes Rap bands NEVER associate themselves with the ghetto;

What was that band? The something boys? They had that song "damn it feels good to be a gangster"

No one would ever associate NWA, 50 Cent, snoop dog etc with the ghetto; their songs are all about growing up in middle class white suburbia......

• Like 2

Hip hop, rap or what ever you want to call it isn't music, doesn't deserve to be called music. I scoured my jurisdiction once for somebody that came by my house where my then young daughter and a friend were playing in my yard to find who ever came by and said "I want to f*** your daughters". My wife had notified my by radio and ran outside and got a good description of the vehicle, surprised she didn't get a good shot at it, yes she would have. One of my rangers daughters was the other girl. I had the entire force, boat officers, maintenance personal etc. looking for the vehicle. We found it. The driver was a young punk, pants half on, wanna' be gangster. His mom was very apologetic, polite and promised the problem would be taken care of, it was, believe me. I relented and didn't take him to juvie, a 3 hour drive, our local "hotel" did not have juvie facilities. He was playing that crap rap as loud as he could, didn't say it, just played it. Just a note, I was a New Mexico certified/commissioned law enforcement officer and I'm no right wing troglodyte idiot. I'm far, far to the left. Rap sucks, always has always will. That incident did not begin my dislike of rap noise. You need to inform that school about it. Just a suggestion, I'd find another school without religious affiliation.

• Like 1

Hah, nice to know I'm not the only one who's suffering from the commercial "de souling" of Rap music. I liked it better in the 80's and early 90's when it was made for and by us, and other cultures had a hard time relating too it and didn't like it. Now the quality of it as a whole has gone down so the music industry can peddle wack commercialized misogyny and violence to a wider audience. I wish they would have just stuck with their death rock heavy metal and let us have our rap, but noooo.

the rap gang culture has crept into most countries,i see it in the korean (K-pop) and the japanese music ,it is the new trend , hats on side ways,the arm gestures and the '' attitude'',now its all about ''attitude''.,fortunatley,we dont see the rediculous trend of wereing the pants down around the ass....asian countries keep it relativley clean,as far as lyrics and fashion...music imitates life,and life imitates music..just keep them off the drugs and away from the loser gangbangers...and be happy they take an interest in something other than FACEBOOK...sawadee(no crap)..

What was that band? The something boys? They had that song "damn it feels good to be a gangster"

No one would ever associate NWA, 50 Cent, snoop dog etc with the ghetto; their songs are all about growing up in middle class white suburbia......

Plenty of people associate rap music with the ghetto and being "gangsta". That is because they are stupid and know nothing about rap and hip-hop music. You must feel so proud that you know a rap song with that title. Maybe do a little more research about the genre and you will stumble across some more forms of the music such as "conscious rap" or "intelligent hip-hop". Or continue to be ignorant and pretend the Ghetto Boys are representative of the entire rap music spectrum........I don't care either way.

• Like 1

Hip hop, rap or what ever you want to call it isn't music, doesn't deserve to be called music. I scoured my jurisdiction once for somebody that came by my house where my then young daughter and a friend were playing in my yard to find who ever came by and said "I want to f*** your daughters". My wife had notified my by radio and ran outside and got a good description of the vehicle, surprised she didn't get a good shot at it, yes she would have. One of my rangers daughters was the other girl. I had the entire force, boat officers, maintenance personal etc. looking for the vehicle. We found it. The driver was a young punk, pants half on, wanna' be gangster. His mom was very apologetic, polite and promised the problem would be taken care of, it was, believe me. I relented and didn't take him to juvie, a 3 hour drive, our local "hotel" did not have juvie facilities. He was playing that crap rap as loud as he could, didn't say it, just played it. Just a note, I was a New Mexico certified/commissioned law enforcement officer and I'm no right wing troglodyte idiot. I'm far, far to the left. Rap sucks, always has always will. That incident did not begin my dislike of rap noise. You need to inform that school about it. Just a suggestion, I'd find another school without religious affiliation.

The fist sentence does nothing but show how old you are. Just because you don't like it does not mean it is not music.

• Like 1

Has nothing to do with age, and yes I'm not young, but still good to go. Has to do with taste in music, not noise. I used to play piano, can't anymore too many fights and busted up hands. I could even transcribe music from song to paper, can't anymore, too many boom, boom and whapta whapta from helicopters. Sometimes I listen to Clasical, even opera, not often...lol. Yea, I like rock and roll and even some C&W, Willy Nelson anybody. Saw the WHO and a few others in concert. All acording to taste, but in my opinion rap represents the worst of the worst of American culture. Although, even my friend Russel Means once did an Indian rap song about "the Knee". What a character he was. I know how to turn it off and walk out of a bar where it is played.

Love to hear everyone's opinion on this. I'm not against any particular style of music or even obscene lyrics for that matter. Just don't want children forced to listen to it. And I have heard from other parents that playing songs with obscene lyrics in schools and stores in Thailand is not unusual. But if Thai culture is all about how hard as$ (insert derogatory refence for African americans) pimp out ho's then who am I to fight the system?

Well I am not the guy that declared himself to be "a mofoking P.I.M.P" in a hip hop song. .so it's not me doing the stereotyping.

Actually I like hip hop music just don't want my children being forced to listen dumb ass lyrics about prostitution and gangstering in a school.

Edited by Time Traveller

Well I am not the guy that declared himself to be "a mofoking P.I.M.P" in a hip hop song. .so it's not me doing the stereotyping.

Actually I like hip hop music just don't want my children being forced to listen dumb ass lyrics about prostitution and gangstering in a school.

Nope, you are just the guy stereotyping the culture as whole in regards to the music.

I wouldn't get too upset about it overall though. Just have to spend time explaining things to your child when they ask.

Yes, be ready for some questions from your inquisitive child.

'Dad, what's crack? What's a pimp? Can I have a glock? What's booya? Are you a ho, daddy?'

So the guy played some foul music in front of your house and rapping to it and you had the entire force hunt down a wannabe gangster? You can't take a kid to juvi for playing some loud music with foul language or swearing. Good misuse of your power Mr. Law Enforcer. Reasons like this why people hate the law enforcement in the states and give it a bad image.

• Like 1

To the OP, just talk to the school director, most will comply as you have good intentions. The folks who put the songs on never listen to the lyrics, they just think its a top 40 song playing on the radio, its hip and popular song to play. You can tell them playing that song is like playing "Thaitanium" or "Joey Boy" for the kids to listen to, those are two of the most popular Thai rappers and have foul language mix in their lyrics.

Plenty of people associate rap music with the ghetto and being "gangsta". That is because they are stupid and know nothing about rap and hip-hop music. You must feel so proud that you know a rap song with that title. Maybe do a little more research about the genre and you will stumble across some more forms of the music such as "conscious rap" or "intelligent hip-hop". Or continue to be ignorant and pretend the Ghetto Boys are representative of the entire rap music spectrum........I don't care either way.

Yes, I am familiar with more "enlightened" rap; always been a big fan of of native tongues etc.

HOWEVER, here we are talking about 50 CENT!!!! Do you know who G-Unit is??? What do you think "G" stands for?

Here is one of 50 Cent's lyrics

"I represent niggas in the hood getting rich, man I stack chips and unload clips"

Now tell me he "AIN'T GANGSTA"........................utterly ridiculous really.......

Yes, I am familiar with more "enlightened" rap; always been a big fan of of native tongues etc.

HOWEVER, here we are talking about 50 CENT!!!! Do you know who G-Unit is??? What do you think "G" stands for?

"I represent niggas in the hood getting rich, man I stack chips and unload clips"

Now tell me he "AIN'T GANGSTA"........................utterly ridiculous really.......

You clearly are not very familiar with the genre as you say if you think the "G" in G-Unit stands for gangster. It does not. It stands for "Gorilla"....Gorilla Unit.

I don't get why so many people insist on commenting on a subject they clearly know nothing about. For instance, I don't comment on country music because I know nothing about it. Think a bit before you make more ridiculous comments and accusations about a genre you clearly don't understand.

Edited by inbangkok

You clearly are not very familiar with the genre as you say if you think the "G" in G-Unit stands for gangster. It does not. It stands for "Gorilla"....Gorilla Unit.

I don't get why so many people insist on commenting on a subject they clearly know nothing about. For instance, I don't comment on country music because I know nothing about it. Think a bit before you make more ridiculous comments and accusations about a genre you clearly don't understand.

I may not know every band but I have been listening to hip hop since sugar hill gang, even earlier than that; I listened to Last Poets in the early 70's.

Regardless, acting like you are offended for someone likening 50 cent to "ghetto culture" is silly; 50 cent would certainly say his music and persona comes from the ghetto or the "hood."

You should just relax and let people express their opinion; you might even enlighten some people here if you weren't so judgmental.