Chiang Mai and the Hippie Trail

CMHomeboy78

Not sure about the Iranian Revolution being the stop. I travelled through Iran during that period and there was not one day the border was closed. What was probably more relevant was the closure of the India Packistan border at varying times and the total closure of the Punjab to foreign tourists following the occupation of the Golden Temple.

Edited by harrry

I always remind people of Charles Sobhraj when they claim that Thailand used to be safe and crime free in earlier times. He was the Charles Manson of Thailand.

Although he obtained his victims near where I stayed (and I am pretty sure I knew one of them) I think it really was a safer place then.

The Malaysia Hotel? I used to stay there too.

As a bookseller, you may have read Richard Neville's book about Charles Sobhraj. If not, by all means do.

Incidentally, if you can get some used copies, please send me a PM. I'll buy several. The only one I have is falling apart. It is the cheap Pan [1980] reprint of the original Jonathan Cape [1979] edition.

• Like 1

The 1978 Iranian Revolution, followed by the 1979 Russian invasion of Afghanistan ended the magical mystery tour suddenly and violently.

It was quite a trip while it lasted.

Combined with the emergence of more affordable long distance flights and tourism, I think that was about the time it just shifted to flying into major regional centers like Bangkok and then schlepping it from there across SE Asia, sometimes also including Nepal, Hong Kong, etc. Or as part of an 'Around the World' ticket that airlines did back then.

With "The Book", of course.

shoestring-1.jpg

(EDIT: Ah.. that turned out to be a BIG image.. but perhaps apt, given how monumental it was in shaping travel in the region. So I'll leave it. wink.png )

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

The 1978 Iranian Revolution, followed by the 1979 Russian invasion of Afghanistan ended the magical mystery tour suddenly and violently.

It was quite a trip while it lasted.

Combined with the emergence of more affordable long distance flights and tourism, I think that was about the time it just shifted to flying into major regional centers like Bangkok and then schlepping it from there across SE Asia, sometimes also including Nepal, Hong Kong, etc. Or as part of an 'Around the World' ticket that airlines did back then.

With "The Book", of course.

shoestring-1.jpg

(EDIT: Ah.. that turned out to be a BIG image.. but perhaps apt, given how monumental it was in shaping travel in the region. So I'll leave it. wink.png )

Good point Winnie.

That's exactly what I did - flew into Bangkok - two years after doing the overland trip.

Charles Sobhraj was interrogated by Thai policemen in connection with the murders, but released because authorities feared that the negative publicity accompanying a murder trial would harm the country's tourist industry. ( From Wikipedia)

......mmm, same same,but different (Koh Tao)

I always find your posts on the history of the areas so interesting, but this one is outstanding, and not what I was expecting when I clicked on it. I hadn't heard of these characters that you're talking about and it would appear that I'm going to have a very interesting couple of days reading all about it.

A lot of people who are between 10 and 15 years older than us tell magnificent tales of doing that journey, such a shame it's not still accessible. Even some people around my age who rode bikes from Europe when we were slaving away to ensure we would retire early - it wasn't exactly envy that I feel because we wouldn't have retired so early if we'd taken a year or two off to do something like that, but I can only imagine how good it was. One bloke from Cheltenham had rode a big trial bike as far as Cambodia and said the best part of the whole trip was going through the Swat Valley in Pakistan, which at the time was an off-limits war zone that would be another place off the hippy trail map. Another friend our age went to Jordan and Syria, somewhere which must be fascinating being in the cradle of humanity where civilisations in our part of the world first formed into towns and cities. It's such a shame that we'll never be able to go there. Seven years ago, when we first started travelling, we had very loose plans to work our way overland to England, through India and the middle east, only going to safe places, nowhere dangerous, but we never quite got around to doing it and flew there from KL in the end. Perhaps we're just not cut out to be so adventurous as others, but we enjoy everywhere we go to and don't have real regrets about missing out on it. It would have been nice, but what we ended up doing instead wasn't so bad either. I'm going to start surfing the web and looking for the people you have been talking about. I didn't know Chiang Mai was on the hippy trail, I think maybe I was born in the wrong generation.

The thing that stuck out most in your post however was when you said "It felt like coming home; in ways that I don't fully understand even to this day." We came to Chiang Mai for a couple of months. Five years ago. And I'm about to negotiate a 30 year lease. There really is something about this place, and the odd-ball people that tend to end up being longtimers here, that makes it the most extraordinarily remarkable city that we've ever been to, and we've seen plenty of them. It doesn't even feel like a city. It's a small town, bigger than a village, but definitely not a city. And we seemed to be coming home when we got here.

Thanks so much for your intelligent and heartwarming reply.

• Like 1

A lot of people who are between 10 and 15 years older than us tell magnificent tales of doing that journey, such a shame it's not still accessible.

I still sometimes see people manage to get buses and vans to Chiang Mai from Europe. Possibly though Russia, Kazakhstan and China..?

The thing that stuck out most in your post however was when you said "It felt like coming home; in ways that I don't fully understand even to this day." We came to Chiang Mai for a couple of months. Five years ago. And I'm about to negotiate a 30 year lease. There really is something about this place, and the odd-ball people that tend to end up being longtimers here, that makes it the most extraordinarily remarkable city that we've ever been to, and we've seen plenty of them. It doesn't even feel like a city. It's a small town, bigger than a village, but definitely not a city. And we seemed to be coming home when we got here.

Yes.

• Like 2

Not sure about the Iranian Revolution being the stop. I travelled through Iran during that period and there was not one day the border was closed. What was probably more relevant was the closure of the India Packistan border at varying times and the total closure of the Punjab to foreign tourists following the occupation of the Golden Temple.

Thanks for the input - good to hear from someone who was in Iran in those days.

I'm not challenging your statement that "...there was not one day that the border was closed."

My point is that the country was in turmoil throughout 1978, although the Shah didn't do a runner until January 1979. The situation effectively ended the Hippie Trail as a continuous east-west route.

This was combined with the equally grave state of affairs in Afghanistan where the Jamiat Islami [among other groups] had initiated armed rebellion in early 1978, and the Taraki government had called on the Russians for troops and assistance in December of that year. The Russian invasion didn't begin until December 1979, but the country was too dangerous to travel in long before that.

My information about Iran two years after my first visit - even though it isn't first-hand like yours - comes from a friend in Bangkok who I was staying with in late 1978. He had until recently worked for Bell Helicopter at the big airbase in Ishfahan. He was in close contact with several others who were still there, and were part of the abrupt and ignominious departure of American forces and their civilian support staff.

Thanks again for your reply.

A lot of people who are between 10 and 15 years older than us tell magnificent tales of doing that journey, such a shame it's not still accessible.

I still sometimes see people manage to get buses and vans to Chiang Mai from Europe. Possibly though Russia, Kazakhstan and China..?

Probably, but my back and I are 7 years older now, and the desire to jump on and off trains and buses and boats has diminished. India is definitely on the list as soon as they stop their ridiculous visa regulations and regulations - going to the lengths of checking with the hotel you put on your application form that you really have a reservation is one I heard of in the last week or so - and we're committed for Vietnam for a 1st birthday party in November and Malaysia for a wedding in December, but Burma is looking very tempting for the early part of next year Everyone we've talked to so far has told us that it's very expensive, but seriously, we're over those $25 a night hotels. We worked for it, we can afford it, so we're not going upper budget class as we have been in the past, we're definitely going mid to high range, so I don't think the prices in that range will be so much different than anywhere else (and anyway they're a lot more comfortable). If that's what it costs, that's what it costs. I don't like paying more than I ought to be paying, but I will quite happily pay the going rate, whatever the going rate might be.

Life is there for living.

Do it.

• Like 1

CMHomeboy78:

I have a warm spot in my heart for the young backpackers of today.

What is a young backpacker today? Do they have $2,000+ of electronics and airline tickets in their bags? Are they really out there on the buses and trains for months of travel? Do they have luggage in addition to a day pack? Do they eat in fast food places?

Seriously, I will appreciate your thoughts.

• Like 2

CMHomeboy78:

I have a warm spot in my heart for the young backpackers of today.

What is a young backpacker today? Do they have $2,000+ of electronics and airline tickets in their bags? Are they really out there on the buses and trains for months of travel? Do they have luggage in addition to a day pack? Do they eat in fast food places?

Seriously, I will appreciate your thoughts.

I think most of them are a different breed. Still good kids on the whole I guess but being here for a good party rather than being here for a good time.

• Like 1

Probably, but my back and I are 7 years older now, and the desire to jump on and off trains and buses and boats has diminished. India is definitely on the list as soon as they stop their ridiculous visa regulations and regulations - going to the lengths of checking with the hotel you put on your application form that you really have a reservation is one I heard of in the last week or so - and we're committed for Vietnam for a 1st birthday party in November and Malaysia for a wedding in December, but Burma is looking very tempting for the early part of next year Everyone we've talked to so far has told us that it's very expensive, but seriously, we're over those $25 a night hotels. We worked for it, we can afford it, so we're not going upper budget class as we have been in the past, we're definitely going mid to high range, so I don't think the prices in that range will be so much different than anywhere else (and anyway they're a lot more comfortable). If that's what it costs, that's what it costs. I don't like paying more than I ought to be paying, but I will quite happily pay the going rate, whatever the going rate might be.

Do it.

I believe starting in November India is loosening up the Visa in order to attract tourists. You will be able to get one on line.

I believe starting in November India is loosening up the Visa in order to attract tourists. You will be able to get one on line.

They've been going to do this for years, just like Vietnam (which should prove interesting when the new regional system starts next year).

We really have heard all about the 'plans to introduce' from both countries several times, often with dates attached. Forgive my skepticism, but I'll believe it when it happens. I'll also be be very happy.

What a magnificent thread.this is turning in to. Please keep the stories rolling in.

I used to think it was just me, but that feeling of coming home seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe it's not me that's being a bit odd, it's a phenomenon, just like the Bermuda Triangle, but being so close to the Golden Triangle with all of those poppies up in them there hills, maybe it's the Opium Triangle.

What is it about Chiang Mai that makes us feel as though we're home when we get here?

• Like 1

CMHomeboy78:

Your post knocks me right over. What a long, strange trip it's been....

My former wife and I started off in Europe in the fall of '76. Quickly discovered that the weather didn't suit our clothes. Went to Israel and worked on a moshav in the West bank, and then to a kibbutz near Acre on the Med. From there flew to Istanbul, (Sultan Ahmet, Hotel Gungor, The Pudding Shop, etc.) and discovered what a lovely, fantastic country is Turkey. Saw a lot of the coast, then Cappadocia, Anatolia, Eastern Tuurkey, across quiet and inky black Lake Van at night. Arrived in Iran without visas. HUGE mistake. They almost took us to jail. It was the last years of the Shah's reign, and there were cops all over the place. We had to spend the bulk of our week in Teheran getting permission to be there,then permission to leave, and then to get visas to Afghanistan.

Herat was a hippie dreamworld. Got local police permission to take local transport along the Northern Route, skirting the border of the USSR. Took three days to Bamian/Maimana, then south to Kabul. Took a quick train trip across Pakistan, which got hairy after I made the horrible mistake of answering truthfully when asked my opinion of the local religion.. SO STUPID! This was after the conductor made my wife go to the womens' car. Those people take their s--t seriously!

Was never so glad to see anyplace as I was to see the Indian border. So hot there! We escaped to Kashmir, one of the most beautiful places on earth. Recovered a while in an ancient houseboat on Lake Dal in Srinigar. Then took a plane to Kathmandu, which was all as you said. Thieving delinquent monkeys at the Monkey Temple, odd specimens of Eastern and Western Humanity in the streets. 4th of July 1977 there was an Open House for all Americans (even the likes of US) at the American Embassy. Free beer and eats. Don't think that is happening anymore.

Flew to Bangkok, stayed in some noisy dump by the train station. Went downtown and saw the daily milking of venomous snakes at the Red Cross. Met some guys who invited us to their rooms at the relatively opulent Malaysia Hotel. Shared some of their smoky hospitality, which I think came by way of the Golden Triangle. Whew!

Took the overnight sleeper to Chiang Mai, and felt like we were in a Somerset Maugham story. This town seemed really exotic and "end of the trail," which of course it was not. After ten months, we were out of money and time, so flew to Hong Kong then Korea then home. It took some months to recover from the effects of dysentery I had acquired in Afghanistan. There was some poor fellow traveler we met in Bangkok who kept being refused a ticket because his eyeballs and face had the telltale yellow of jaundice. He asked me, "Seriously man, do the whites of my eyes look yellow??" They did, poor guy.

Back then you carried travelers checks, and picked up your eagerly awaited mail from home mail at Post Restante. A call home was crazy expensive. Nobody did that. People traded paperbacks, and had conversations about places and things seen, and there seemed to be a subtle competition about who had been the farthest "off the beaten path" and who had traveled the cheapest. My biggest regret: we never made it to Burma, where the price of admission was a fifth of Johny Walker and a carton of 555 cigs. Others told us how cool it was.

I have a warm spot in my heart for the young backpackers of today. It's fun to sit at the Black Canyon at Thapae Gate and watch the passing parade. I sometimes think it's like they used to say about Times Square. Sit there long enough, and you'll see everybody you ever knew.

Thanks again. That was the best read of the day for me, from any source.

Fantastic reply. I'll try to address some of the points you raise when I have more time.

For starters, was the "...noisy dump by the train station." in Bangkok the Yee Peng? I remember that and a very similar one next to it. The old Nanking Hotel off Yaowarat was cleaner, and a hotbed of vice... we loved it! The rooms were big, and on the first floor you could score whatever you wanted in the way of mood-elevators. The second floor was devoted to various types of Chinese gambling that we steered clear of for fear of being ripped-off. The third floor was Heaven - that's where the girls were. I had never seen a place like that in my life and I won't forget it until the day I die.

Do it.

^ Also on the bright side, there is an Indian consulate in Chiang Mai, making it relatively easy. I did it a couple years ago, not too much of a problem getting the visa. I liked the place a lot more than I thought I would.

What a magnificent thread.this is turning in to. Please keep the stories rolling in.

I used to think it was just me, but that feeling of coming home seems to be a recurring theme. Maybe it's not me that's being a bit odd, it's a phenomenon, just like the Bermuda Triangle, but being so close to the Golden Triangle with all of those poppies up in them there hills, maybe it's the Opium Triangle.

What is it about Chiang Mai that makes us feel as though we're home when we get here?

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors?

• Like 2

An interesting thread I just finished reading a book about the subject called Magic Bus on the Hippie trail from Istanbul to India by Rory Maclean. There is a chapter on Charles Sobhraj, certainly a very immoral but interesting character and I am surprised that there isn't a more recent updated biography about him.

Certainly traveling is a completely different experience than it was in the sixties and seventies, it was even a different experience when I first came here in the mid-nineties pre-Internet and Mobile Devices that have now shaped traveling into something fairly pedestrian.

• Like 1