Success with computer repair

mgbcnx

I had always heard that a computer not purchased in Thailand could not be repaired in Thailand. Accordingly, when my HP Pavilion dm1 (purchased three years ago in Indonesia) crashed at about the same time that the keyboard gave out, I almost pitched my favorite laptop into the trash. But a friend urged me to try one of the second floor repair shops at Computer City--where I found Easycom and Mr. Jukkrit Ampai in Room B212 at the head of the stairs.

In less than a minute he had completely disassembled my HP, pronounced the hard drive dead, and assured me that the keyboard was finished. The cure: replace both with spare parts he ordered from his supplier in Bangkok, the keyboard guaranteed for six months and the hard drive under warranty for two years. My laptop was returned to me in three days; it runs as good as new. An astonishing performance for US$92, including the Bt.300 charge for lightning service. Best Buy's Geek Squad pales by comparison...

I highly recommend Easycom and Mr. Jukkrit (tel: 089 999 2679)--yet another reason why living in Chiang Mai can be as comfortable and convenient as it is affordable.

• Like 2

Computer City is located on Maneenoporat Road (the north moat road) just east of the busy intersection at Huay Kaew and Boon Ruang Rit Road (the west moat road). There are two big computer centers located right beside each other: Computer City and Computer Plaza. Computer City is the first one on the left. Plenty of parking...