Which Windows Am I Using

chiangrai

A simple question,

Is there a way to find out which version of windows I'm using and also when websites ask you how many "bits" your version is which do I choose.

I bought windows7,the original copy but the one reduced to 1700bht for sale in Asia only.Does that 7 change when I allow updates or will

my version be windows for ever and is it important to know how many bits you have when downloading programs.

As the good posters above (mmm...both have animals as profile pics, that dog is handsome! Anyway,) have pointed out, you will know the version of windows by executing their advice. There, you will also find out if your Windows is 32 or 64 bits flavored. 32 bits programs will run on 32 as well as 64. 64 bits program only on 64.

But Windows 7 will remain 7 and you will get updates like security fix, hotfixes, etc.

Edited by BuddhistVirus

A simple question,

Is there a way to find out which version of windows I'm using and also when websites ask you how many "bits" your version is which do I choose.

I bought windows 7, the original copy but the one reduced to 1700bht for sale in Asia only. Does that 7 change when I allow updates or will my version be windows for ever and is it important to know how many bits you have when downloading programs.

"Does that 7 change when I allow updates or will my version be windows for ever"

'Updates', or incremental 'patches' don't normally have an impact on how programs you install function. 'Service Packs', usually written as SP1 or SP2, sometimes contain fundamental changes to the operating system so you'll need to check support if it impacts how your software works.

OS Upgrades (next version of the OS) will many times render your current software incompatible. Windows Upgrades are not delivered through the automated update system but require you to obtain Upgrade Install media that will convert (or overwrite) your current OS Version with the new Operating System. So, no worries here.

As has been stated, you can normally run 32-bit software on both a 32-bit or 64-bit version OS, 32/64-bit software will discover what is needed, but 64-bit software can only installed on a 64-bit OS.

Control Panel\System and Security\System will display what OS version, SP (Service Pack) as well as the 'System Type' (32-bit or 64-bit) you have installed.

So when downloading software, you should FIRST determine if the site you are downloading from is Genuine and the download Safe.

A lot of software have auto installers/wizards that will automagically install the correct version for your operating system.

But you should know your OS Version, Service Pack, and Bit version installed in case the site doesn't have a multi-version installer, or if they separate the versions to keep the total download package smaller.

• Like 1

RUN "CMD" 'VER'

Why GUI people do everything the slow way? wink.png

Windows has a command window, remember DOS? thumbsup.gif

But that don't tell you if your are running 32 or 64 bit...or at least it don't on my machine. In fact, it can confused a person even more.

For example: I'm running Win 8.1 64-bit...when running above Run Cmd Ver it reports as follows:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

Right click on the computer icon on your desktop and select properties at the bottom. A window will open and tell you everything you need to know thumbsup.gif

I did that, but a message popped up saying: "You're the most handsome farang on TVF. But you might be a genuine victim of your wife's influence."

Please contact your system discriminator for more information. The mods on TV didn't reply yet. What should i do, to keep my genuine status?

• Like 1

I did that, but a message popped up saying: "You're the most handsome farang on TVF. But you might be a genuine victim of your wife's influence."

Evidently you have a copy of Mirrors rather than Windows.

• Like 2

win 7 control panel/system and security/system. all details there including if genuine if bought in thailand prolly not so look out for a update kb9 something forget actual number as this checks if genuine or not and if downloaded will invalidate and cut os eventually.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

win 7 control panel/system and security/system. all details there including if genuine if bought in thailand prolly not so look out for a update kb9 something forget actual number as this checks if genuine or not and if downloaded will invalidate and cut os eventually.

Did you type this on a computer with a keyboard?

• Like 1

I'm wondering if it might have been typed using the bottom edge of a bottle of Chang Export.

I'm wondering if it might have been typed using the bottom edge of a bottle of Chang Export.

Don't bad-mouth Chang beer as it gives writers inspiration after just a few bottles. But at about the 5th bottle it begins to give you visions and pretty colors.