Thai work permit, visa proposals get positive response

webfact

Good news for my school if the 2 year WPs & extensions happen. All it means for me is I have to teach one extra morning every two years. smile.png

Why do you have to teach one extra morning every two years ?....

It takes a morning to collect the WP & get the one year extension stamp at Immi. I do this every year ATM. biggrin.png

So your saying you don't get paid while your to picking up your WP and extension ? blink.png

No, I'm saying I don't teach any classes while I'm picking up my WP & extension; strangely.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When do the first half thai half farang children go into politics. So we have someone who is fighting for us in the government thumbsup.gif

If they've spent any time outside Thailand and want to enter politics, they'll probably do it there. Not much hope, at least not in my lifetime.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's nice.....How about a work visa for a foreigner married with a Thai?

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Buddy. It's worse than that. At least in the U.S. once your wife has a green card she doesn't have to check in with the gestapo every 90 days and renew her visa annually. Here they make you run through the same bureaucratic hoops year in and year out and once in a while you get one surly immigration officer who makes your life difficult by demanding more documents or just treat you like you are a rapist parolee.

OK lets explore this for minute, lets suppose they did away with the current requirements and imposed a vehicle that would provide a "green card" type system and like some countries in the west imposed a financial criteria as some countries in the west do e.g. the UK, in other words the Thai spouse "sponsor's" their husband, sand they need to prove they can support their spouse by having a job paying X amount of verifiable income etc

If they did this one suspects vast numbers of Thai spouses wouldn't be living in Thailand as they wouldn't qualify for settlement...wink.png

my point is be careful what you wish for, if Thailand did change things to a "green card" type thing, one would be very naive just think they will give it you just because someone has married a Thai national...thumbsup.gif

You would half of Bombay and and nationals of various African countries marrying Thai nationals just for the sake of getting a "green card"

whistling.gif

In US, or similar regulations, one ''sponsor" the spouse, showing that can provide them with local standards.

I guess most wife could reciprocate that and show they provide average Isaan Joe life here... ;)

For the last part: say 5 yrs marriage+kid/s should suffice such ''green card'', at least? May prove that one is sincere, and not marry to the privileged thai life in fact, but just maybe out of ordinary love. What if.

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

And if I remember correctly, if you want to live here with her you have to prove you can support her. When we got my wife her greencard then citizenship, I had to prove I could support her. Of course, I am the citizen sponsoring someone. Why is it the opposite here? If she married a Thai guy who earned 10,000 a month, no one would care!

Unless of course you are a foreign woman married to a Thai man...no income requirements at all!! Not even 10K ! I'm surprised there is no income requirement for the woman to support the Thai husband.

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

The problem is the "can" "if" and "if" in your post. My wife got her citizenship after three years, could work from day one ANYWHERE she wants and whenever she wants, without being a slave to someone, and is treated same as me. FULL STOP. She has total freedom to live her life. No visa renewals, no reporting nothing. Vastly different than the way we are treated here.

Sorry you are wrong, you wife was not able to work legally in the USA until she for her green card or a work visa. You can easily enter Thailand. For her to go the the USA it is costly and take months. All you need to do is the same as your wife did in the USA find a company to hire you. So again what is the problem. I lived and worked in Thailand almost 20 years. Never had an issue getting a work permit. Your wife was not legally able to work from day one in the USA, unless she had her green card or a work visa. So she might have worked from day one but that was not legal. So again why is you cant work in Thailand? All you need to do is find a job, they will get you a work permit. Same applies in several countries throughout the world, this is not just something Thailand does. I worked in Vietnam, Philippines, Korea I always had to get a work permit. I had some Thai workers come to the USA, I had to get them work visas before they could come to the USA. For you, you can come to Thailand without any visa and stay for 30 days to find a job.

Arkady, apologies it may have been your comment that made me bite.

I am fairly aligned with the reality of your response, I do though suspect there are easy humanistic responses that are not being considered, many decisions are made based on the fear of someone taking advantage of it and we do live in a one bad apple will ruin it for everyone society.

I am challenging this approach and suggest they man up and deal with their bad apples which will in turn empower them to make the right decisions without fear.

Ask the simple question, should it be a basic right for a father or a mother to be free and without constraint be legally allowed to earn and look after their family? Is there any value with the exception of the bad apple aspect in prohibiting this right?

I will reasonably happily stand corrected on this front if a valid argument is put forward.

• Like 1

also be exempted from having to get a work permit, but they will still need one if they want to open a booth or trade at a fair.

I am sure the MICE guys love this. Who knew about this rule?

Immigration police could round up hundreds at one show.

Yes it is ridiculous. If you are employed by a company outside Thailand, and you are paid by a company outside Thailand, and you are representing a company from outside Thailand at a trade fair, then it would be ridiculous to expect a work permit....

Other countries - HK, Japan, Korea do not even require B Visa for such business events. Thailand and China obviously do...

I would have though 99.9% of the current entries are on tourist visas the rest on short term business visas..

Who the hell is going to get a work permit for a trade show?