Thai work permit, visa proposals get positive response

webfact

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's nice.....How about a work visa for a foreigner married with a Thai?

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Dont understand your problem. You can work in Thailand, get a job and the employer will provide the work permit if they are a good company. If the company dont want to provide a work permit find another company to work for.

In mentioned US, there is strong laws against discriminations when hiring employees.

The words equal opportunity comes to mind...

Your suggestion that a foreigner here can apply and get any job they qualified to do, is laughable.

Does US for example has a list of restricted jobs for their thai or other immigrant or has those married to their citizens need to hold aboutlarge amount of money in the bank?

Now replace US to other western countries for the big picture....

I ve been in USA for few times !

You are RIGHT !! USA HAVE NO DISCRIMINATION !!

THEY HAVE JUST CATEGORIES.

a) legal all white peoples and war criminals ( Irak, Afghanistan, ..2nd ww , ... ))

B) 3rd category coloured skin

c) no category - not present - illigals

All we need to do now then in order to stay longer with our spouse without the yearly bs of producing the same papers year in year out is to become a teacher to get 2 years permit to stay at a time rather than 1! I know of no other country in the world that has the same archaic laws of being able to live as a family of a national of the country on a yearly basis. I have been here for the past 20 years and nothing has really changed in all that time as far as visas are concerned and I honestly doubt it ever will.

• Like 1

whistling.gif The one they should seriously consider is to allow for a foreigner to get a self employed work permit and visa as long as:

• His or her income is earned only on-line and outside of Thailand.
  • That the person with such a visa and work permit must report the portion of their income they earn on-line and bring into Thailand to use as their living expenses while living in Thailand.
  • That that portion of their income which they bring into Thailand as income is taxable for Thai taxes at the same rate as it would be if earned locally in Thailand.
  • That the person residing in Thailand, and earning their living as a "self employed work permit on-line worker" would get a visa to reside in Thailand for at least a year ..... and such a visa may be renewed annually by showing evidence of filing the paperwork to pay the required Thai taxes annually.
That would enable a person who earns a high salary on line (such as software developers, journalists, writers, film producers and artists) to live and work from their computers on-line in Thailand legally.

As I tried to point out before, this will be a benefit to those people to live and work in Thailand productively, while enjoying the benefits in living in Thailand (lower costs, warmer climate, etc.)

At the same time Thailand would get the benefit of such on-line workers in the tax revenue their earnings from jobs outside of Thailand would bring to Thailand,

Such a visa would be a win-win situation ..... a win for Thailand in the increased tax revenue it would generate, and a win for the foreigners who would have the benefits of the lifestyle in Thailand.

But, I'm afraid that will never happen .... to much of a change to ever be made.

whistling.gif

I fully support the idea of a self-employed person visa, but there is good reason they will never allow this - how would you administer such a system? Do you rely on the information given to you by the tax payer, who is adept at international finance, who most likely has bank accounts in any third country in the world (I have a Hong Kong USD account), who would honestly report his total income and cough up - 25%? They are not born yesterday biggrin.png

However, I did say I support the notion of a visa but - it should only entitle you to be employed in Thai registered companies, perhaps only BOI companies. Not tie you to one employer, desk and four 'staff', but allow you to compete in the job market without the WP regulations stymieing you. Introduce anti discrimination laws to prevent race, age, sex, language requirements being used as barriers.

He should have to declare a minimum. Every bloody mom and pop shop does exactly the same in Thailand. You think these millionaire noodle stand owners tell the tax.man what they earn?

This maybe true, but then again the mom & pop shops have owners who don't need a visa to live in Thailand long term do they ?wink.png

What Thai national gets up to is somewhat irrelevant..you are somehow inferring a farang on a visa or wanting a visa should have "equal rights" with a citizen of a country..is it an illusion you have or a western sense of entitlement your displaying which is very pronounced among many TV members ?....ie the Natives should bow down and given the farang everything they demand

• Like 1

My wife lives in America and she's able to work....Why can't I take care of my family if we chose to live in Thailand?

Amen to that!!!

Don't people who live here understand, a visa CAN'T allow you to work here ? It's a WP that allow you to work

Lets not forget a few little points regarding work permits

for every foreign employee there must be 4 thai employees and a staggering 2 Million baht registered capital per work permit!
Then the company has to fork out maybe 20,000 baht or more to get the staff a work permit, of which they may leave after 3 months anyway!

Making it easier? nothings changed just words and a few bits of paper less for them to fill out!

• Like 1

90 day report on line would be a great move it would stop all this needless paperwork pity they did not go a step further by offering a five year visa to expats who have resided in the Kingdom for over 3/5 years maybe one day !!!

All the needless paperwork is a copy of your passport and visa, and the form. But, yes, a 5 year visa for genuine residents, not working, would be great.

Same in pattaya. City hall talk talk but nothing changes Jet ski scam still hsppening though not as much maybe as its still quietish rental motorbikes chained up clogging up the streets you cant even get onto pavement as these bikes are parked so close together you cant squeeze throught them that was going to get stopped Stops for baht bus and taxis never getting used kids in the bars selling flowers etc this was supposed to get stopped and on and on and on only talk talk talk

I think that anybody who thinks doing a 90 day report online is just " Bloody Lazy " ......

Why?

Because Mr Toad, you know what a little dynamo that canary sun is, he takes trains everywhere, yet does not disclose at which Immigration Office he reports. If he enjoys the trip and contact, good luck to him I say, but don't blame others for wishing a bit of efficiency.

Personally I like Sam Khok, P.T. as it's never real busy, but my sympathies lie with the Bangkok expats who have to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous Immigration police by taking 90 day reports to Chaeng Wattana office.

People who wish to do 90 day reports on line will save money and paper. Driving halfway across town or further is simply a waste of time and energy in this day and age..

• Like 1

yes, a 5 year visa for genuine residents, not working, would be great.

Define a genuine resident....?

So what your suggesting someone who lives here long time, doesn't work, pays no income tax gets a 5 year visa ?, but those who do work in Thailand legally and pay income don't get a 5 year visa ?

Think you have have it the wrong way around....wink.png

if you mean this the other way around, i.e. someone who has a permanent job in Thailand and has a verifiable history of paying their income tax in Thailand, then yes your suggestion makes perfect sense, as in some respects, certainly for a tax perspective they have genuine Thai "residency"

IF it happens a definite move in the right direction.

Even just the online 90 days report would be a major boost for most of us.

Now, about those longer visas for those married to a Thai or retired smile.png

It's hardly stressful and going out of our way with our busy lives just to " stroll into immigration every 90 days..... lol

Unless you accidentally forget for more than a few days. THEN it gets expensive fast.

My big bug bare is, what does the 90 day report achieve? I sometimes report in Udon and sometimes in Phuket, switching the address reported accordingly. No one ever questions it. I think I could say that I live in Pooh cottage, Pooh Lane, Pooh province and it wouldn't be questioned. Or, I could report one day and move house the next. Nothing happens.

No, report daily or don't report, it wouldn't make any difference to information on what farang is where. After all, it's the mafia element that would be sure to report a false address.

Unless you accidentally forget for more than a few days. THEN it gets expensive fast.

cheesy.gif ....THB 2000 is typically the maximum fine they impose being late for a 90 day report, the theoretical maximum is THB 5,000

How does one accidentally forget ?.....a few words for you, calendar, reminder in telephone/smart phone, or even an email to yourself...not hard...facepalm.gif

It's interesting that some stances on views on having a reasonably fair right for a foreigner to earn locally and look after their Thai family is being considered in terms of being already lucky and looked after, the suggestion that parents who value their families should be happy with an 18th century plate of gruel and not actually look for more than this, in this day and age where many regard the right to earn as a basic human/family right is a bit disappointing.

I guess the naysayers on this topic regard those parents going through hardships on this front lucky enough already. Going from two kicks in the arse to one is a big step forward, but should people really count themselves lucky to still have one kick in the arse.

It's all relative and perhaps we do all set our reasonable expectations bar at different levels.

For those asking parents if they really want to be in Oliver Twist's shoes, perhaps a little bit of introspection is required as do you really want to be the one stating 'Ohh! What wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face! I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of being spat at in the face.'?

• Like 1

Please, please keep the 90 day reporting. If on-line, the Thaivisa-posters will have even more time on their hands to share their wisdom!!coffee1.gif

Not at all, one would expect an increase in TV posts on how stupid the on line system is ? or why is it so hard ? and why cant I open the web page ? are all Thai programmers imbeciles ?.....don't forget there are some on TV who cant find the toilet by themselves unless assisted, so might be beyond the technical capabilities of some on here..

and of course one could have those digital pikey's hacking into the data base and stealing a persons personal details as well...wink.png

Edited by Soutpeel

It's interesting that some stances on views on having a reasonably fair right for a foreigner to earn locally and look after their Thai family is being considered in terms of being already lucky and looked after, the suggestion that parents who value their families should be happy with an 18th century plate of gruel and not actually look for more than this, in this day and age where many regard the right to earn as a basic human/family right is a bit disappointing.

I guess the naysayers on this topic regard those parents going through hardships on this front lucky enough already. Going from two kicks in the arse to one is a big step forward, but should people really count themselves lucky to still have one kick in the arse.

It's all relative and perhaps we do all set our reasonable expectations bar at different levels.

For those asking parents if they really want to be in Oliver Twist's shoes, perhaps a little bit of introspection is required as do you really want to be the one stating 'Ohh! What wouldn't I give to be spat at in the face! I sometimes hang awake at night dreaming of being spat at in the face.'?

If you are referring to my post, perhaps I need to spell it out that I was being ironic by spelling out what I believe to the views of Thai government bureaucrats. I don't necessarily agree with them.

They probably do think they have made enough concessions to foreigners married to Thais already. Clearly they believe it was a big deal to amend the Nationality Act to allow foreign men with Thai wives to bypass the traditional step of obtaining PR before applying for Thai citizenship and many have already done so.

Unfortunately there are limited concessions for foreign men with Thai families who don't work in Thailand and I seriously doubt there ever will be in the foreseeable future. The thrust of immigration, WP reform is purely to facilitate foreign investment, Thai firms that need expat staff and tourism. Foreigners living in Thailand without working count as tourists. Those over 50 are already allowed retirement extensions on easy terms and those married to Thais are already allowed easy marriage extensions. Neither the Tourism Ministry or the TAT are going to push for more rights for them because they are already getting as much out of them as they are ever likely to do. So why bother?

Unfair, yes. But I think that is the reality and I don't think much can be done about it, although I believe there is hope for better conditions for those working in Thailand.

• Like 1

I really want to see the 2 year visa requirements. My guess is that this is just for the international school teachers with 80k+ incomers....

I applied for a 2-year WP renewal soon after they first became legal with the new law in 2008. I had to submit some extra documentation compared to the 1-year WP. I went to pick it up myself and was told I was rejected because the 'pooyai' didn't approve it, although I was approved for a 1-year renewal. Not being satisfied with that I asked more and was told the 'pooyais' would only approve 2-year WPs for companies with large paid-up capital or large salaries. A couple of years later I moved to a large company with B300 million paid-up capital and 800 Thai staff. I again applied for a 2-year WP and went the DOE myself to argue my case, knowing that the gormless youth from HR could be easily fobbed off. This time I was told in advance that my application for 2 years would be rejected, despite the size of the company, because the 'pooyai' didn't like the idea of 2-year WPs and weren't approving anyone. But to my surprise I did get a 2-year WP that time. The same official told me that she had overlooked the fact that it was a public company and the 'pooyai' were approving those. Later I got a 2-year renewal.

I think you are right. It would only apply to the best paid teachers at the largest international schools, if it is ever practically possible. My experience with WPs is depressing enough and Immigration is much tougher. Currently the Immigration Act only allows for visas of more than one year for staff of BOI promoted companies. So it is going to be very hard to budget them on that. The Thai Elite card theoretically allows 5-year visas but that is a fudge because they need to be renewed every 3 months.

That's right. Why are we not allowed to freely work and take care of our families.

Cos your not a legal migrant that's why, is this such a hard concept to understand ?

What do you mean legal migrant.

I am married so I am legal.

I migrated here, so i am a migrant.

I need to support my family.

Is this such a hard concept to understand.

• Like 2

That's right. Why are we not allowed to freely work and take care of our families.

Cos your not a legal migrant that's why, is this such a hard concept to understand ?

a legal migrant is one who has been been granted permanent residence in a particular country...so unless you have Thai PR your not a legal migrant in Thailand...wink.png

eg in the example in the US about the guys wife, she has been granted a green card, ie Permanent residence in the US, or to bring it back into the Thai context, what do you think the "Non-immigrant" bit means on your visa ?....it means you are not a legal migrant/immigrant and will granted a period of pre-defined stay in Thailand ie 12 months at a time and have to re-new your permission to stay periodically and meet the criteria they set.

• Like 1

a legal migrant is one who has been been granted permanent residence in a particular country...so unless you have Thai PR your not a legal migrant in Thailand...wink.png

eg in the example in the US about the guys wife, she has been granted a green card, ie Permanent residence in the US, or to bring it back into the Thai context, what do you think the "Non-immigrant" bit means on your visa ?....it means you are not a legal migrant/immigrant and will granted a period of pre-defined stay in Thailand ie 12 months at a time and have to re-new your permission to stay periodically and meet the criteria they set.

When do the first half thai half farang children go into politics. So we have someone who is fighting for us in the government thumbsup.gif

Edited by SoFarAndNear

Good news for my school if the 2 year WPs & extensions happen. All it means for me is I have to teach one extra morning every two years. smile.png

Why do you have to teach one extra morning every two years ?....

It takes a morning to collect the WP & get the one year extension stamp at Immi. I do this every year ATM. biggrin.png

When do the first half thai half farang children go into politics. So we have someone who is fighting for us in the government thumbsup.gif

Which raises an interesting point.

If this this so-called discrimination against foreign spouses was occurring in a western country, the husband or wife of the foreign spouse would be petitioning their own government to give these "rights" to their spouses, the foreign spouses themselves wouldn't be doing it.

So here is the question where is the "Thai ladies married to foreign husband association" which is petitioning the Thai government for changes to the immigration polices in Thailand ?

Is there or has there even been such an animal ? my money is on never, I have heard plenty of farangs whinging on about immigration polices in Thailand but where are the Thai spouses fighting for their husbands or wives in the government ?

Good news for my school if the 2 year WPs & extensions happen. All it means for me is I have to teach one extra morning every two years. smile.png

Why do you have to teach one extra morning every two years ?....

It takes a morning to collect the WP & get the one year extension stamp at Immi. I do this every year ATM. biggrin.png

So your saying you don't get paid while your to picking up your WP and extension ? blink.png