Various info about Phuket.....

davis79

Hi all, newbie here, I've been browsing through TV for a while now & as I'm off to Phuket soon, initially with a 1 year visa to undertake a diving internship I am just after some general info/advise about living in Phuket. I am going to be renting somewhere (probably kathu area as its pretty centrally located) so any advise/recommendations/must do's/must dont's about renting would be great, I'm looking at just looking around for rent signs on houses & making enquiries direct with owners to try & negotiate a reasonable deal, what I want to know is the legalities/contracts etc etc that should be in place for renting like this.?? I will be with my thai gf & have thai friends on the ground there so no probs with language barriers with landlords. Also I am a very keen golfer here in the uk & I'm involved with a local club & play competitions etc, I would love to carry on my golfing out in thailand in a similar way, I'm aware golf can be quite costly in Phuket so does anyone who is involved with golf out there got any advise on a good club to join that is reasonable & good value for money & holds club comps etc? Also are there such things as syndicates amongst expats in Phuket similar to a syndicate in the uk? It would be great to get involved with a syndicate with expats in Phuket.?? There's prob a million more things I want to know but will leave it at this for now. All advise much appreciated.

Why not base yourself near where you will be doing your internship. It's easy to get around Phuket and there are plenty of link roads.

What community do you want to be near...personally I love the south of the island I.e around Phuket Town and out around Cape Panwa and through to Chalong and across to Rawai and Naiharn Beach.

It's a diverse island but the price you pay for things is very dependent on whereabout you base yourself and what your interests are.

Anyway enjoy the island