US Ebola patient Thomas Duncan dies in hospital

webfact

Yep, more hysteria type garbage. I handled a huge $ 26 mil case for Howden Buffalo Fan from England regarding installation of a fan system at St. Jude Hospital and learned more than I ever really wanted to know about hospital ventilation and pressure systems.

That case was back in 2002/2003 range so not real fresh in my mind, but I thought it was a negative pressure system. Isn't the idea behind the system to keep germs or virusus of an infected patient in that patient's room.

These systems work well at containing true and common airborne contagions and there is no reason to believe Ebola is any different unless Ebola can fly against pressure to find another victim.

Both are correct. If you need an isolation room for a sick patient, it needs negative pressure so that nothing airborne can get out - only in. In a hospital it's a unit in the window that expels air pulling that negative pressure. There are sophisticated filters on the exhaust air to catch pathogens.

If you want to protect a whole building including your house from outside contamination, you need positive pressure so that no air can come in. The the blower and filter which draws air in to create the pressure would have a sophisticated filtration system.

• Like 1

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, more hysteria type garbage. I handled a huge $ 26 mil case for Howden Buffalo Fan from England regarding installation of a fan system at St. Jude Hospital and learned more than I ever really wanted to know about hospital ventilation and pressure systems.

That case was back in 2002/2003 range so not real fresh in my mind, but I thought it was a negative pressure system. Isn't the idea behind the system to keep germs or virusus of an infected patient in that patient's room.

These systems work well at containing true and common airborne contagions and there is no reason to believe Ebola is any different unless Ebola can fly against pressure to find another victim.

Both are correct. If you need an isolation room for a sick patient, it needs negative pressure so that nothing airborne can get out - only in. In a hospital it's a unit in the window that expels air pulling that negative pressure. There are sophisticated filters on the exhaust air to catch pathogens.

If you want to protect a whole building including your house from outside contamination, you need positive pressure so that no air can come in. The the blower and filter which draws air in to create the pressure would have a sophisticated filtration system.

An excellent post.

CDC head criticized for blaming 'protocol breach' as nurse gets Ebola

(Reuters) - Some healthcare experts are bristling at the assertion by a top U.S. health official that a “protocol breach” caused a Dallas nurse to be infected with Ebola while caring for a dying patient, saying the case instead shows how far the nation’s hospitals are from adequately training staff to deal with the deadly virus.ermm.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-health-ebola-usa-nurse-idUSKCN0I206820141013

The CDC has no real idea how the nurse's exposure happened ... they are just deflecting blame away from the obama Administration ... and they were clumsy in their assertions.

Even clumsier. CDC NOW "warning" American public that additional health workers in Dallas attending to Thomas Duncan may have been infected, and acknowledging that hospitals across the country may NOT have been prepared to handle Ebola after all...

So much chatter about the new airport health screenings. Temp check for passengers who've been through Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea, followed by interviews for those with a fever. Questionnaire, too, but not sure where in the process that comes. Similar procedures also in place at the other end departing these countries.

1. 'Bound to produce false positives (anyone with a temperature above normal - how many is THAT on flights these days!)
  2. None of these measures would've caught Thomas Duncan (thank-you again, Mr. Duncan) - false negatives
  3. How can we be sure that those airport screeners handling the Ebola victims who ARE successfully intercepted by the screenings actually DO know what they're doing and won't contract Ebola themselves, when even professional hospital staff weren't safe?
  4. If the progress of the disease has been such that an airport screener DOES successfully detect it in someone, what about all the other passengers & crew on the plane that the victim just disembarked?

Once again the Obama administration caught out of its depth. I shudder to think of the possible consequences for the nation this time around. (Dr. Thomas Frieden, Director of the CDC, is an Obama appointee, BTW.)

Edited by hawker9000
  • Like 1

(Reuters) - Some healthcare experts are bristling at the assertion by a top U.S. health official that a protocol breach caused a Dallas nurse to be infected with Ebola while caring for a dying patient, saying the case instead shows how far the nations hospitals are from adequately training staff to deal with the deadly virus.ermm.gif

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/13/us-health-ebola-usa-nurse-idUSKCN0I206820141013

The CDC has no real idea how the nurse's exposure happened ... they are just deflecting blame away from the obama Administration ... and they were clumsy in their assertions.

Even clumsier. CDC NOW "warning" American public that additional health workers in Dallas attending to Thomas Duncan may have been infected, and acknowledging that hospitals across the country may NOT have been prepared to handle Ebola after all...

So much chatter about the new airport health screenings. Temp check for passengers who've been through Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea, followed by interviews for those with a fever. Questionnaire, too, but not sure where in the process that comes. Similar procedures also in place at the other end departing these countries.

• 'Bound to produce false positives (anyone with a temperature above normal - how many is THAT on flights these days!)
  • None of these measures would've caught Thomas Duncan (thank-you again, Mr. Duncan) - false negatives
  • How can we be sure that those airport screeners handling the Ebola victims who ARE successfully intercepted by the screenings actually DO know what they're doing and won't contract Ebola themselves, when even professional hospital staff weren't safe?
  • If the progress of the disease has been such that an airport screener DOES successfully detect it in someone, what about all the other passengers & crew on the plane that the victim just disembarked?
Once again the Obama administration caught out of its depth. I shudder to think of the possible consequences for the nation this time around. (Dr. Thomas Frieden, Director of the CDC, is an Obama appointee, BTW.)

You had me hooked until the point you blamed this on Obama.

Every political leader, both hypothetical and actual, is caught out of their depth on this one.

I am constantly amazed at the inability of so many Americans to view the real world independently of their political obsessions.

• 'Bound to produce false positives (anyone with a temperature above normal - how many is THAT on flights these days!)
  • None of these measures would've caught Thomas Duncan (thank-you again, Mr. Duncan) - false negatives
  • How can we be sure that those airport screeners handling the Ebola victims who ARE successfully intercepted by the screenings actually DO know what they're doing and won't contract Ebola themselves, when even professional hospital staff weren't safe?
  • If the progress of the disease has been such that an airport screener DOES successfully detect it in someone, what about all the other passengers & crew on the plane that the victim just disembarked?

You had me hooked until the point you blamed this on Obama.

Every political leader, both hypothetical and actual, is caught out of their depth on this one.

I am constantly amazed at the inability of so many Americans to view the real world independently of their political obsessions.

Oh, so you don't think Obama has, and has had, other alternatives he could have and could now put in place? All those "executive orders" he's constantly threatening & using but no such power when it comes to this situation? Ridiculous.

• Like 1

ROFL. If there were no Ebola in the U.S. If Duncan had somehow been "caught" and other travelers on their way to the U.S. with Ebola were being effectively screened.... You just know that Obama would be claiming ALL the credit. There'd be news conferences with that sycophant press secretary of his extolling his foresightedness, and his proactivity, and most of all his leadership in taking ALL the measures necessary for the success to date. But of course since that's not exactly the case, "the situation has nothing to do with the president". Yeah, OK. thumbsup.gif

This situation has nothing to do with the president, it would have happened no matter who's in charge.

Time to be facetious again..... I agree with you that the situation has nothing to do with the president, but several theories (including chaos theory) theorize that a small change in Washington could have knock on effects that eventually become massive 6 years later -- like the bat flying away from the hunters and never becoming soup and therefore never infecting patient 0. OK, I am tired and delusional now :P

ROFL. If there were no Ebola in the U.S. If Duncan had somehow been "caught" and other travelers on their way to the U.S. with Ebola were being effectively screened.... You just know that Obama would be claiming ALL the credit. There'd be news conferences with that sycophant press secretary of his extolling his foresightedness, and his proactivity, and most of all his leadership in taking ALL the measures necessary for the success to date. But of course since that's not exactly the case, "the situation has nothing to do with the president". Yeah, OK. thumbsup.gif

Hawker, in a given day, how many hours is your mind filled with thoughts of Obama?

Don't let the guy get in your head like that.

He's a bad president but don't let him wreck your enjoyment of life.

Cheers

Hawker, in a given day, how many hours is your mind filled with thoughts of Obama?

Don't let the guy get in your head like that.

He's a bad president but don't let him wreck your enjoyment of life.

Cheers

True dat!

If this disease is so easy to catch, then why isn't all over China? Why is Europe largely spared from it? What about the ME?

There seems to be a lot of hysteria.

True this, but I was thinking more in terms of all of the people that had direct contact with Duncan between his first and second trip to the hospital while he had symptoms and was presumably contagious. Out all of those people including those stuck in that nasty apartment we have only one nurse so far that contracted it from him. I would have expected at least a 20 or so out of the 50 or 60 they said had direct contact with Duncan to have contracted it if this thing was airborne or as contagious as some suggest on here.

So what is the latest news?

If this disease is so easy to catch, then why isn't all over China? Why is Europe largely spared from it? What about the ME?

As for China... their leadership is not stupid or politically correct... they are not going to let people from Ebola epidemic West African Nations enter China ... simple actually...

Ebola Nurse Boyfriend Reportedly Admitted With Ebola Symptoms

An email sent out to the Alcon staff by its CEO reportedly said that the ebola nurse’s boyfriend was admitted into hospital with “Ebola-like symptoms.”

Gotnews.com has received word from two different Alcon employees, both of whom asked not to be identified.

Alcon’s U.S. headquarters are in Fort Worth, Texas. It is an opthomological pharmaceutical company.

Requests for comment from Alcon were not returned.

So, parents work at Alcon and so does Nina Pham's boyfriend.. He's now in quarantine

http://gotnews.com/ebola-nurse-boyfriend-reportedly-admitted-ebola-symptoms/

As for China... their leadership is not stupid or politically correct... they are not going to let people from Ebola epidemic West African Nations enter China ... simple actually...

China has a large presence in Africa. They are not going to either keep all the Chinese nationals in Africa out nor are they able to do so, even if they wanted to. So, actually, it's not simple. Many people may have returned before this became a big news story.

And the rest of the world? Keeping them out too?

An email sent out to the Alcon staff by its CEO reportedly said that the ebola nurse’s boyfriend was admitted into hospital with “Ebola-like symptoms.”

Gotnews.com has received word from two different Alcon employees, both of whom asked not to be identified.

Alcon’s U.S. headquarters are in Fort Worth, Texas. It is an opthomological pharmaceutical company.

So, parents work at Alcon and so does Nina Pham's boyfriend.. He's now in quarantine

I cannot find a credible source to indicate a boyfriend has ebola symptoms. I would expect that if she had a boyfriend, he would be in quarantine (sex involves bodily fluids).

I cannot find a credible source to indicate a boyfriend has ebola symptoms. I would expect that if she had a boyfriend, he would be in quarantine (sex involves bodily fluids).

A person Khoi described as a friend of Pham’s is also being monitored for the disease, although he said he didn’t know the friend’s relationship. Others have said the patient being monitored is Pham’s boyfriend.

The corporate communications office at Alcon issued a release Monday saying that an Alcon associate had gone to Presbyterian on Sunday and was being monitored for signs and symptoms of Ebola. The release said the associate had been in contact with Pham. The associate hasn’t shown any symptoms of the disease, the release stated.

It's buried in this story from the Dallas Morning News http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20141013-dallas-nurse-in-good-spirits-gets-transfusion-from-ebola-survivor.ece

A person Khoi described as a friend of Pham’s is also being monitored for the disease, although he said he didn’t know the friend’s relationship. Others have said the patient being monitored is Pham’s boyfriend.

The corporate communications office at Alcon issued a release Monday saying that an Alcon associate had gone to Presbyterian on Sunday and was being monitored for signs and symptoms of Ebola. The release said the associate had been in contact with Pham. The associate hasn’t shown any symptoms of the disease, the release stated.

It's buried in this story from the Dallas Morning News http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro/20141013-dallas-nurse-in-good-spirits-gets-transfusion-from-ebola-survivor.ece

That one says that he was being monitored - normal procedure....

But it contradicts the story @JDGruen posted above .... saying the associate HASN'T shown any symptoms....

Not a real surprise, this hospital sounds particularly incompetent.... so if they were not following protocols, then it is unlikely to be a problem with the protocols....

Dallas nurses describe Ebola hospital care: 'There was no protocol'

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ebola-dallas-20141014-story.html#page=1

When Dr. Thomas Frieden of the CDC was interviewed last night he insisted even at this stage, health workers would be safe even if parts of the body were not covered (such as head or feet ) and the interviewer seemed very surprised by this statement.blink.png

Not a real surprise, this hospital sounds particularly incompetent.... so if they were not following protocols, then it is unlikely to be a problem with the protocols....

When Dr. Thomas Frieden of the CDC was interviewed last night he insisted even at this stage, health workers would be safe even if parts of the body were not covered (such as head or feet ) and the interviewer seemed very surprised by this statement.blink.png

That would surprise me too, especially when they were indicating that it might have been error in removing the protective clothing that caused the problem. i.e. accidentally coming in contact with secondary transfer due to removing gloves etc. If any part of you is not covered, you can get splashes on you when disconnecting equipment I would expect full protective clothing, and the person would be required to go through decontamination while still wearing the protective garments - and only once the outside is decontaminated would you remove it which would reduce the likelihood of transfer of contaminated splashes etc. But then I am just thinking of it logically and not with a medical background :P

That would surprise me too, especially when they were indicating that it might have been error in removing the protective clothing that caused the problem. i.e. accidentally coming in contact with secondary transfer due to removing gloves etc. If any part of you is not covered, you can get splashes on you when disconnecting equipment I would expect full protective clothing, and the person would be required to go through decontamination while still wearing the protective garments - and only once the outside is decontaminated would you remove it which would reduce the likelihood of transfer of contaminated splashes etc. But then I am just thinking of it logically and not with a medical background tongue.png

" That would surprise me too, "

The transcript from that interview should be available tomorrow, but in the meantime I notice he was saying the same thing back in August.unsure.png

The C.D.C. says that health care workers treating Ebola patients need only wear gloves, a fluid-resistant gown, eye protection and a face mask to prevent becoming infected with the virus. That is a far cry from the head-to-toe “moon suits” doctors, nurses and aides have been seeing on television reports about the outbreak.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/health/hospitals-in-the-us-get-ready-for-ebola.html?_r=0

Below is a link to a T.V. interview done yesterday I think - with the CDC Director .. anyone can listen to his words and draw your own conclusions ... personally I think much of what he says is talking points double speak...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3839649788001/cdc-director-our-information-is-clear-and-correct/#sp=show-clips

Note: I scanned to see if this link had been posted before ... didn't see it ... so I post now.

• Like 1

Below is a link to a T.V. interview done yesterday I think - with the CDC Director .. anyone can listen to his words and draw your own conclusions ... personally I think much of what he says is talking points double speak...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3839649788001/cdc-director-our-information-is-clear-and-correct/#sp=show-clips

Note: I scanned to see if this link had been posted before ... didn't see it ... so I post now.

my conclusions are what a load of baloney from this guy bah.gif

Dr T. Friedman “ You know, charter flights don't do the same thing as commercial airlines do “

Megan Kelly “ what do you mean - they fly in they fly out ? “blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

I don't recall the following fact as having been mentioned in the media very much? Has anyone else here heard about this revelation?ermm.gif

Ebola is mutating faster than the medical system can keep up

The virus is mutating twice as fast in people than in fruit bats. The samples, taken from 78 infected individuals, show that during the early outbreak more than 300 genetic changes occurred as the virus moved from person to person. The research revealed that the virus' protein coat has changed, which could suggest that it is now better able to bind to human cells and evade the immune system.

http://www.sciencealert.com.au/news/20142908-26094.html

yes this is the interview i saw earlierthumbsup.gif

Here is a link to my original post on this thread about the 'boyfriend' of the nurse being admitted to the hospital which seems to continue to give heartburn to some ...

The report I posted on this thread used the words "CEO reportedly said" and ..."Ebola-like symptoms"... The copy of the Email-letter contained in the report as sent out by Jeff George, Global Head of Alcon said "He is being monitored for potential signs and symptoms of the Ebola virus".

The link original post of this report on this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/766871-us-ebola-patient-thomas-duncan-dies-in-hospital/page-8#entry8530391

Here is the link where I posted the same report on another thread where I used the phrase "Unconfirmed - but seems legitimate ...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/768033-ebola-in-thailand-are-you-prepared/page-4#entry8530363

I am not sure why this post of mine causes some so much angst...

My post and links are accurate and verified as much as possible - sometimes qualified by the words and phrases in the report or qualified by my own words or both.

Edited by JDGRUEN