Thai bus operators demand fare hike

webfact

Bus operators demand fare hike
By Coconuts Bangkok

tnews_1368762558_5786.jpg

What’s good for the taxis is good for the buses.

BANGKOK: -- Bus operators yesterday petitioned the Ministry of Transport for fare hikes to offset a decade of cost increases.

Wittaya Premchit of the Bus Operator Network said the organization is requesting fares increase by THB2 for both air-conditioned and non-airconditioned buses, as he claimed the operators have collected fares lower than the net cost (THB9.6) for almost 10 years now.

The fare for a non-airconditioned bus is currently THB8 and THB12-22 for those equipped with air conditioning.

Over 30 percent of all 3,800 bus operators in Thailand have not seen profit in recent years, Witthaya added, and they will be forced to stop running if fares are not adjusted by end of this year.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/09/bus-operators-demand-fare-hike

coconuts_logo.jpg
-- Coconuts Manila 2014-10-09

so busses, taxis, and songtaews, and bts/mrt all want/getting price hikes?

one of the best things about thailand and bkk is the affordable and abundant transport. should be a priority to keep it that way.

Edited by Metapod

Now, everybody who rides the buses or takes a taxi is going to demand a wage increase to pay for the buses and taxis. And around and around and around we go. And where we stop, nobody knows.

That's the junta aim.....to make all thais happy, return happiness to thais.whistling.gif

• Like 1

Thailand should adopt a new transit system. Park and ride, this has been in operation for years in the Uk's big cities. You drive your car to a large car park outside of the center. You pay the parking rate for the day and this gives you a ticket to use for buses to shuttle you into the city and return later. Plus adding stops for people on the way to get on and off the bus following a set route. Much better than thousands of individuals all driving their cars to work. Bkk would need at least 5 park and ride car parks set up in different areas but it can work. Plus the car park will have 24 hrs security if its the same as the UK. Just an idea but maybe to logical to work here!

People park and ride already, or do you think all those cars in tesco and big c are shoppers? We leave out car all day at big c and catch the bus, it's more than 22 baht as well!

LOL hes right a large amount of Thais I know use the big malls as a park n ride.

• Like 1

Now, everybody who rides the buses or takes a taxi is going to demand a wage increase to pay for the buses and taxis. And around and around and around we go. And where we stop, nobody knows.

No different to the west.

Thailand should adopt a new transit system. Park and ride, this has been in operation for years in the Uk's big cities. You drive your car to a large car park outside of the center. You pay the parking rate for the day and this gives you a ticket to use for buses to shuttle you into the city and return later. Plus adding stops for people on the way to get on and off the bus following a set route. Much better than thousands of individuals all driving their cars to work. Bkk would need at least 5 park and ride car parks set up in different areas but it can work. Plus the car park will have 24 hrs security if its the same as the UK. Just an idea but maybe to logical to work here!

People do already.

You can park at latproaw underground and ride from there.not free though.

But quicker and easier.

Big C in rama 4 has horrendous parking charges .

To stop the free parkers .

We've got clamping just coming in . And it is working round latproaw.

The worst culprit is the pink buses running latproaw rd from JJ to bang kapi.

He will pick up kerbside or as good as damn it .

Then immediately push over to the far right lane.

Then back when the bus stop comes up.

What a dick

People park and ride already, or do you think all those cars in tesco and big c are shoppers? We leave out car all day at big c and catch the bus, it's more than 22 baht as well!

Living in Huay Khwang, I very often park at Big C Ratchada and take the MRT into Sukhumvit or elsewhere . Cheap and convenient. The first three hours parking is free! the next hour costs 20 baht.

Edited by sangfroid

one of the best things about thailand and bkk is the affordable and abundant transport. should be a priority to keep it that way.

I wouldn't call them cheap. Driving your own car is cheaper (especially if you have a family) and much more convenient if you are carrying things like shopping or bags.

Edited by Time Traveller

People do already.

But quicker and easier.

What a dick

[big C in rama 4 has horrendous parking charges ]

Just how horrendous??

parking at our local big c is free, otherwise mrs would not use it! other than that there is free parking at the local wat and truck from there. If all these folks did not already park out of town imagine what the traffic would be like

I wouldn't call them cheap. Driving your own car is cheaper.

I don't see how you could travel 25 kilometers for 20+ baht in a car, even a gas one, never mind the other car expenses like insurance etc.

I wouldn't call them cheap. Driving your own car is cheaper.

I don't see how you could travel 25 kilometers for 20+ baht in a car, even a gas one, never mind the other car expenses like insurance etc.

I don't see how you could travel 25 kiliometers for 20 baht on a bus either, unless the bus line travels from your point A to point B.

In reality, mostly you need to travel from point A to point C to get a bus to take you to point D and then connecting transport to point B.

For most regular trips, like to school or shopping less than 5 km from home, car is much cheaper and especially when you a travelling with your family and dealing with multiple bus/train tickets. In my case, even to get a bus, I have to either walk almost a kilometer to get the correct one or pay extra for taxi to the bus stop.

1 liter of gas is only 38Bt....10kms/L driving efficiency.

Edited by Time Traveller

People do already.

But quicker and easier.

What a dick

[big C in rama 4 has horrendous parking charges ]

Just how horrendous??

Can't remember. But wanted to park there during office hours. Say 8 till 6.

There's a price deterrent for long stay

I don't think the bosses of Tesco or Big C will be too happy at their customers not having spaces to park their cars.

The "Me too" attitude strikes again!

Rice growers get a subsidy, "Me too, me too" yell the rubber growers.

Jet-skis still working on the beaches "Me too, me too" yell the sun-bed renters.

Meter taxis in Phuket get a fare hike "Me too, me too" yell the green-plate taxis.

This country is drowning in greed........and not a single person strong enough to yell "ENOUGH"! (not even if they have guns and tanks)

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 1

I wouldn't call them cheap. Driving your own car is cheaper (especially if you have a family) and much more convenient if you are carrying things like shopping or bags.

Have you ever used public transport anywhere else in the world?

Try taking a taxi anywhere in London or Paris.

See how much you have to pay for a 50 mile train journey elsewhere.

As Metapod said, it is cheap and abundant. Maybe not 5* quality but then peanuts..... monkeys etc

I'm going to guess we'll stop off at economic crisis alley just after inflation towers.

Haha - welcome to the rest of the world re: inflation.

First a taxi hike is approved and now bus operators.

Next will include the BTS and it will continue so Thailand looses it attraction.

you spend $1000 plus to fly there , 1500 plus baht a night for hotel and you think adding 5 or 10 baht to a bus journey is going to keep them away ?

normal tourist do not take the city bus anyway , so they need to maybe spend another 20 baht for a taxi ride.....

What will keep them away is getting killed or beat up . and seeing that on their local TV at home every week ,

"Over 30 percent of all 3,800 bus operators in Thailand have not seen profit in recent years, Witthaya added, and they will be forced to stop running if fares are not adjusted by end of this year."

There must be some Thai logic in this sentence, but I am not sure I will ever understand it....

If you increase the fares, then this will probably attract more people to operate unprofitable buses ??

Edited by bangon04