Where to get a good hamburger in chiang mai?

cmcom

Pure speculation on my part, but last time I was there, in June, the Korean guy was still there, but not in the kitchen. The burger was sloppy made (but tasted fine), and the menu was also considerably reduced. He mentioned somebody else was cooking and that was why the menu was reduced to the simpler things.

I think this was not long after some lowlife here posted on whether there was any reason why he should not rat out the Korean to immigration for supposedly working without a work permit or something like that. Not that I ever saw him working there myself, of course.

i'm fairly certain he was Chinese presumably from Hong Kong as he spoke with a proper British accent. i suppose he could have been Australian but i thought he was from Britain or Hong Kong. very nice guy. i went there a few times - way before June and never ever saw him in the kitchen. he was at the counter talking with people every time. anyways too bad but they had some flaws that made it inconvenient to dine there; mainly their strange hours of operation - open after lunch and close before dinner time.

Edited by Oscar2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be right. I might have read here that he was Korean, but don't think I asked him myself.

I btw usually went there for dinner, around 6-7 pm. Perhaps I was just lucky.

Edited by Awk

You may be right. I might have read here that he was Korean, but don't think I asked him myself.

I btw usually went there for dinner, around 6-7 pm. Perhaps I was just lucky.

right on the edge... i think last order was around 6:30 as they closed at 7:00. the new owners stayed open an hour longer. but it was not as good and i only went once under the new ownership.

re

I was kind of interested to hear if Pickles was still open

no its not ! ... i went past there about a week ago and its just another closed up / empty building in the whole row smile.png

just like the rest of chiang mai with loads of closed up old shops and empty new shophouses everywhere !

dave2

That is a shame it was a great burger. If you went by on a Monday they would be shut any how. That is a day when she has to visit her husband.

i'm fairly certain he was Chinese presumably from Hong Kong as he spoke with a proper British accent. i suppose he could have been Australian but i thought he was from Britain or Hong Kong. very nice guy. i went there a few times - way before June and never ever saw him in the kitchen. he was at the counter talking with people every time. anyways too bad but they had some flaws that made it inconvenient to dine there; mainly their strange hours of operation - open after lunch and close before dinner time.

Chinese, Hong Kong, Australian, British ..... no, a Kiwi of Korean extraction, actually.

I like Do Dee Restaurant just outside the East Gate. Order their Do Dee Burger for 220 baht, very juicy and tasty and the fries are always piping hot and crispy.

East Gate? The only gate on the east side of the Old City is ThaPae gate. Is that what you mean?

It's a burger place but apparently they also have some places called Carlos Jr. Green Burrito. Apparently they have five outlets in Bangkok (according to their web site) so it's possible this rumor is true.

I've never had a Carlos Burger. Any good?

Edited by JulieM

Heard a rumor that Carlos Jr is signed to come into Maya.

Is Carlos Jr a Mexican restaurant or what?

Yes owned by Carlos Santana's son Carlos Jr.

They have a killer burger called Black Magic Woman quarter pounder biggrin.png

Heheh just kidding I thought maybe NJ's post was a typo for Carl's Jr burgers

https://foursquare.com/v/carls-jr-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%8B-%E0%B8%88%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A3/505be185e4b06ee0cb2c9d0f

http://www.carlsjr.com/

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

Heard a rumor that Carlos Jr is signed to come into Maya.

Is Carlos Jr a Mexican restaurant or what?

Yes owned by Carlos Santana's son Carlos Jr.

They have a killer burger called Black Magic Woman quarter pounder biggrin.png

Heheh just kidding I thought maybe NJ's post was a typo for Carl's Jr burgers

https://foursquare.com/v/carls-jr-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%8B-%E0%B8%88%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%A3/505be185e4b06ee0cb2c9d0f

http://www.carlsjr.com/

To be honest I had to think about it for a minute. I was told about a week earlier by another who restauranteur had signed up. Not sure if he will sell burgers or not.

I like Do Dee Restaurant just outside the East Gate. Order their Do Dee Burger for 220 baht, very juicy and tasty and the fries are always piping hot and crispy.

East Gate? The only gate on the east side of the Old City is ThaPae gate. Is that what you mean?

Oops, sorry, I meant Chiang Mai gate (south side of moat). Doo Dee restaurant is located on Suriyawong Alley just south of Smith Residence on the right side of the street. Like I said, excellent Doo Dee cheeseburger!

Oops, sorry, I meant Chiang Mai gate (south side of moat). Doo Dee restaurant is located on Suriyawong Alley just south of Smith Residence on the right side of the street. Like I said, excellent Doo Dee cheeseburger!

Google had this

Doo Dee

Also they have a website http://www.doodeepub.com/

Edited by mania

How are the burgers at Dukes?

They are ok...good

Nothing special per se' but consistently good

I go once every month or two

I mainly eat their quarter pounder w/cheese as the others are too big for me

I did once have the chile burger & it was good too but again just too big for me.

But they taste fine & come with fries or salad

They have a Cajun Chicken Sandwich I tried which

had sliced avocado on it & it was excellent

But also large for me & I could not finish it.

But I sure cannot complain that the portions there are too small smile.png

Edited by mania

Well I told everyone here a few months ago very clearly. If one thinks they can do whatever they want here with ZERO respect regarding working without a work permit and so on. The guy at the white plate learned the hard way. That's the real reason number 1 and besides he never had a chance to begin with.

Well I told everyone here a few months ago very clearly. If one thinks they can do whatever they want here with ZERO respect regarding working without a work permit and so on. The guy at the white plate learned the hard way. That's the real reason number 1 and besides he never had a chance to begin with.

How do you know he didn't sell the place to the next owner/group of people who were running the restaurant for the last several months before it closed?

How do you know if the Kiwi had a WP or not???

• Like 1

How did he never have a chance? Once he got the raves reviews on Thai Visa, there were plenty of customers every time I went there.

• Like 1

James and his wife Pia, the owners of the 'white plate' had another business in Australia. It was in the computer/security realm and more than that i'm not sure if I should say. I have a real fetish for 'burgers and theirs was certainly the best in CM.