Foreigners urged to capitalise on Thai turnaround

webfact

Umm. Did someone roll the dice to come up with this logic? Not dumping on Thailand but the strongest economy in Europe is showing weakness which has caused ripples through exchanges around the world with other factors the last couple of weeks. And, adding 2 wars and containing a deadly disease.

I guess you can add this turnaround with the Ebola cure.

They just don't get it do they ? They screwed around with touriists at crossings threatned to ban people and inconsistant rules changes and inforcment at borders so that a lot of people left. Can see by the lack of tourists at border crossings and at hotels but "they" want to say everything is fine come on over and spend /invest your money. Why ? to have the rules change from one moment/Government to another.to work under marshall law and a military run sosciety?

They made it hard for many tourists doing runs because they are not the kind of tourists we want, really? My mom used to say when you go to dances dance with many of the girls even the not so pretty ones. All the girls will think your such a nice guy to give the wall flowers a break and some of the best girls will know your a nice guy. Same here the not so wealthy tourists would go hom tell their more well off friends wow Thailand is so great , the women the weather the prices , beaches , hotels ,opportunites for business and their richer friends would say hey maybe i'll go over check it out . Instead they hassell people so they go back and tell them what a bad time they had got refused reentering at border and other problems so their friends go heck i'm never going there. You can advertise and say how nice this place is but word of mouth from those that have been here and were treated badly is more persusive than pretty colorfull adds.

That kind of intelligent logical thinking has no place in Thailand.

The only foreigners suited to investing here are people like those who 'made' the GT200 bomb detectors. Anyone who looks to run an honest business learns very quickly that it's next to impossible.

Plus it's virtually certain that the next red-shirt government will busy themselves putting everything back the way it was. Corruption here passed the point of no return many, many years ago.

I made my decision : my business stays out and I only bring in money I need for living. When I first came here I saw great potential. Now I just see a country which will watch ASEAN countries grow around it while it's politicians busy themselves cooking up more and more imaginative ways to syphon away the money without getting caught.

Thailand has a lot to prove to foreign investors, it’s interesting that their discussing the subject but this is all just talk and I see nothing that address the issues that concern me about investing in Thailand. Thailand is one of the most uncertain precarious places in the world for foreign investment. Personally I would have to see it change before I would expose my money and time in Thailand and that takes years.

First and this is the deal killer for me, I can’t own 100% of my own company. Second the corruption would have to change (good luck); I won’t invest my money in a corrupt third world strong arm mafia run system. Third the labor pool is substandard.

Thailand could easily change the company structure laws to allow 100% ownership but the corruption and the labor pool are problems, that take decades to address, I can’t see those issues being corrected in my lifetime.

The worst thing any Government can do is tell investors it's time to invest.

This usually means the Government is suffering and no doubt it is.

Also with most foreign currencies low and all the fiascos going on in the Country this could be one of the lowest tourist seasons on record.

Reading between the lines could Thailand have been talking with the IMF? Oooohhhh!

You couldn't make it up, just more proof of how blinkered the authorities here are. No you can't own land, no you can't own a business, we dont really want to issue you a work permit, we have a military dictatorship, biggest debt per capita of the Asean, you could find yourself thrown out at any moment for falling foul if the wrong Thai national or business owner but please come and invest your money in our unstable xenophobic country, priceless!

you forget to mention that you are obliged to employ a high proportion of unskilled unmotivated local workers...