Pattaya’s overhaul of motorbike-taxi sector stuck in neutral

Rimmer

Pattaya’s overhaul of motorbike-taxi sector stuck in neutral

n8taxi-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--Nearly three months after being ordered to overhaul the city’s motorcycle-taxi industry, Pattaya officials still are nowhere close to reforming fares and registering drivers.

Officials from five agencies said Oct. 2 they had surveyed the entire region, finding 925 motorbike-taxi stands and 11,127 drivers. Beyond that, little has been done.

The National Council for Peace and Order - which almost immediately after seizing power in the May 22 coup shook up Bangkok’s motorbike-taxi sector - on July 15 ordered Pattaya officials to do the same. The plan is to register all the drivers, provide them numbered vests and enforce legal fares set by the Chonburi Transport Department.

If successful, Pattaya tourists and residents would see a dramatic decrease in motorbike fares, with rides of under two kilometers or under - for example, a ride from Second and Central roads to the Pattaya Bus Station - costing 25 baht or less.

Currently drivers outside Topps supermarket at that corner charge 100 baht for a lift to the bus station.

The problem, officials said, is that Pattaya’s motorbike-taxi sector is infected with deep-rooted corruption and controlled by “Mafia-style” organized crime. Drivers fear local power brokers, even though they have to pay out large amounts of money for their vests and their slot at the taxi stand.

Sriracha Permanent Secretary Narissa Thipyangkul, whose office is working on the project with Pattaya City Hall, said drivers have refused to cooperate because they generally are poor and uneducated and fear that the local mafia gang will kick them off the taxi stand, costing them their income.

- See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/pattaya-s-overhaul-of-motorbike-taxi-sector-stuck-in-neutral-41796#sthash.t1LmixuM.dpuf

pattayamaillogo.png
-- Pattaya Mail 2014-10-10 footer_n.gif

It's interesting even "officials" are using the words CORRUPTION and MAFIA now. I've been personally insulted many times for suggesting there is a mafia style system regarding the transport system here.

Thanks for the VINDICATION.

Deep rooted indeed.

I remain pessimistic.

It all seems TOO deep rooted.

Sicily was deep rooted too. Check the history on what it really took to make changes there. I don't see the WILL for that here.

It takes brave people (risking their lives) to work for years and years. Yet another temporary "show crackdown" doesn't even scratch the surface.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

They wouldn't need so many motorbike taxis if the baht bus routes were expanded.

Maybe a few less people would rent motorbikes if there were better baht bus services and then less accidents.

Also maybe a few less drunk drivers as many prefer the safety of a baht bus compared to being on a motorbike taxi.

The first step should be to make sure these clowns have insurance. I doubt that a single one of them has quality insurance that would compensate a passenger to any decent degree in the case of an accident.

This is a tourist area. What do you expect ? Poor Thais are coming from provinces in the north to start a new life in Pattaya . If they can get away with a higher fare they will do it.

Edited by balo

What i don't understand is why some clean ups have occurred since the coup in hua hin, phuket and bkk, but in Pattaya all attempts at any clean up seem to stall?

Whoever is ultimately behind the infamous "problems" of pattaya must be so powerful that the military handles the matter so delicately.

Whether it is illegal construction, baht bus mafia, motorcycle mafias, jet ski thugs, beach chair vendors, unlicensed sex shows, beach encroachment, underage prostitutes, drugs etc etc etc.

• Like 2

For many queues in Pattaya it costs around 45k baht, more for good locations, for an individual to buy the 'licence' - there is a written contract - to acquire the jacket and permission to operate. Costs more for multiple drivers for a queue. The owner of the jacket do rent them out for around 1,500 baht a month, dependent on location. Guys in my wifes family have said that since the 'crackdown' their daily income has dropped from an average of around 600 a day (approx 10 hour day) and is creating many problems for them to support themselves.

As far as I'm aware there is not an insurance company that provides insurance for the drivers to cover passengers in case of accident.