Teaching in Thailand - advice

Hi, I am hoping some of you can make clear the requirements for teaching in Thailand.

I will be arriving in Thailand early next year in the hope of finding work as an English teacher.

For a school to apply for a work permit for me, what documentation should I give them?

CV

Copy of Degree (not a teaching degree)

Copy of Passport

Police check

Anything else?

Can I work towards gaining a teachers licence while working?

If so, where can I do that?

How much would it cost?

How long would it take?

How much is a work permit?

How long will it take to process a work permit?

Any other information you feel would be beneficial to me would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bring copies of your transcripts as well. You should have photocopies/scans and also originals. Depending on school and area some demand originals.

Don't worry about teacher's license unless you are actually going to live here for more than 3 years.

Things are up in the air and constantly changing.

Used to be:

1. after 1 year take Thai culture course

2. if you don't have a degree in education or a teacher's license from your home country: take a series of exams 1 is easy, 1 is, hard, 1 is almost impossible.

3. If you don't go that route, you could enroll in a Thai program for a degree in education. There are some scams/degree mills and some legitimate programs. The problem though is that they won't allow you teach outside of the country. They also won't be accepted by top paying international school jobs. Better to get a Masters in Education or whatever your country has for teacher's college.

Cost depends on program but say on average of about 8-10k USD. Length of time is typically 2-4 years depending on full or part time.

If teaching is a career choice for you and you ever want to work outside of Thailand, do not get a degree in education here. Get one back in your home country.

• Like 1

"I wish someone had told me that 4 years ago."

Why would you spend 4 years to get a degree in education if 1. you only want to teach EFL in Thailand for a year or 2. don't want to be a professional teacher?

It is like going to med school and then deciding after completing that you just want to be a nurse.

Definitely bring original diploma and transcript.

Hopefully name on diploma matches passport.

Some people reported problem because their degree diploma didn't include their middle name and had to get some documentation that the diploma belonged to the person with the passport.

If you want to teach in a regular Thai school(even Esl) then they want an education degree.

You can get 2 waivers to this rule for up to two years each. Total 4 years without education degree.

If you plan to teach part time in a language school then don't need education degree but probably won't get work permit.

Because of this rule many experienced teachers are going to other countries and Thai students now learn mostly with inexperienced teachers.

Two years ago they would issue a 3rd or 4th waiver but now they seem to be very strict. Can get 3rd waiver from same school as 2nd waiver.

Same as most western countries, you need a teaching degree.

A P.E. teacher or music teacher might also argue why they need a teaching degree.

To get certified would cost about 180,000-250,000. (About 3-5 months salary in Bkk)

If teaching in Bkk long time is your goal then it will be worth the investment. Probably the degree will be valid in south east asia only.

But short time backpacker teachers are in high demand now because easy to get work permits

Edited by brianp0803

Definitely bring original diploma and transcript.

Hopefully name on diploma matches passport.

Some people reported problem because their degree diploma didn't include their middle name and had to get some documentation that the diploma belonged to the person with the passport.

If you want to teach in a regular Thai school(even Esl) then they want an education degree.

You can get 2 waivers to this rule for up to two years each. Total 4 years without education degree.

If you plan to teach part time in a language school then don't need education degree but probably won't get work permit.

Because of this rule many experienced teachers are going to other countries and Thai students now learn mostly with inexperienced teachers.

Two years ago they would issue a 3rd or 4th waiver but now they seem to be very strict. Can get 3rd waiver from same school as 2nd waiver.

Same as most western countries, you need a teaching degree.

A P.E. teacher or music teacher might also argue why they need a teaching degree.

To get certified would cost about 180,000-250,000. (About 3-5 months salary in Bkk)

If teaching in Bkk long time is your goal then it will be worth the investment. Probably the degree will be valid in south east asia only.

But short time backpacker teachers are in high demand now because easy to get work permits

Definitely bring original diploma and transcript. Hopefully name on diploma matches passport.

A P.E. teacher or music teacher might also argue why they need a teaching degree. ( Didn't know that they also need teachers for apes now.)

And I was certain that I knew a lot about teaching rules and regulations. Thanks for your informative post.

I truly believe that some high short time backpackers use their work permits to roll another one. just like the other one.

And please just don't Bogart them.

Some of these short time backpackers end(ed) up in longtime marriages without short time memory.

Edited by lostinisaan

Most people come to teach in Thailand initially with no credential and no experience.

Hopefully serious about teaching.

All who come with open hearts are encouraged.

Teaching students is harder than most people think but also very rewarding. When students learn from you and grow it is a wonderfully feeling.

I have taught most age groups by now.

New teachers might think about age group they want to teach.

Teaching primary age, junior high, high school, and young adults have very different environment and skills.

New teachers should realize many school also teach basic subjects in English at all ages (math, science, history, economics). People with passion and skill are needed.

Most people that try teaching in Thailand are sincere and good hearts. Unfortunately a few leave bad taste in your mouth.

You won't make much money - but enough.

Difficult to save money towards retirement but possible.

Thai schools start in May.

In March and April is the biggest hiring time for regular schools.

Other times you would be filling position from people that didn't complete their contract.

Language schools hire year round but I think usually part time ( but don't know)

SOUND ADVICE! If you're coming to Thailand for a self-supporting "work/play", 2-3 year, single person's excursion, then fine. Otherwise, Thailand is nothing but a total waste of time & effort, especially if you're a professional educator. The Thai Ministry of Education isn't even serious about educating their own people, especially on the Public Education level.

Go to China, Japan, Korean or Vietnam instead, where public education is a "real" priority, with better pay scales, and excellent accommodations provided w/ the compensation package. Pay attention here, or learn a future lesson. Capiche?coffee1.gif

Bring copies of your transcripts as well. You should have photocopies/scans and also originals. Depending on school and area some demand originals.

Don't worry about teacher's license unless you are actually going to live here for more than 3 years.

Things are up in the air and constantly changing.

Used to be:

1. after 1 year take Thai culture course

2. if you don't have a degree in education or a teacher's license from your home country: take a series of exams 1 is easy, 1 is, hard, 1 is almost impossible.

3. If you don't go that route, you could enroll in a Thai program for a degree in education. There are some scams/degree mills and some legitimate programs. The problem though is that they won't allow you teach outside of the country. They also won't be accepted by top paying international school jobs. Better to get a Masters in Education or whatever your country has for teacher's college.

Cost depends on program but say on average of about 8-10k USD. Length of time is typically 2-4 years depending on full or part time.

If teaching is a career choice for you and you ever want to work outside of Thailand, do not get a degree in education here. Get one back in your home country.

Hi, could you please explain that Thai program for a degree in education ? Where ? When ? How much ? 3 exams ? Thank you ...

SOUND ADVICE! If you're coming to Thailand for a self-supporting "work/play", 2-3 year, single person's excursion, then fine. Otherwise, Thailand is nothing but a total waste of time & effort, especially if you're a professional educator. The Thai Ministry of Education isn't even serious about educating their own people, especially on the Public Education level.

Go to China, Japan, Korean or Vietnam instead, where public education is a "real" priority, with better pay scales, and excellent accommodations provided w/ the compensation package. Pay attention here, or learn a future lesson. Capiche?coffee1.gif

Yes, as just a TEFL-teacher your teaching licence is limited (3 ?4 ? years only). If you can´t afford a University Programme for a degree, what can you do instead of leaving the country ? Probably working at vocational schools or private schools which aren´t under TCT, right ? How about Cambodia or Vietnam ? Thank you ...

Private schools and government schools (through grade 12) need TCT approval to get work permit for teaching.

Some schools are finding creative ways to hire teachers by lying and saying the teacher is a trainer or assistant.

Some schools are hiring teachers if they can stay in the country other ways (marriage or child) but can't get them work permits.

Many teachers going to other countries.