Got Stopped Tonight...

ChiangraiTony

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big checkpoint near my house on the middle ring road last night.

Got stopped at about 11:30, in my car.

Had had many drinks, was certainly over the limit but not quite paralytic.

All very polite and friendly.

No big deal.

They are looking for drugs, I think.

Too many posters on here make an issue of nothing.

Sounds like he wanted to practice his Engrish and you obliged.

The correct action would have been to ask, "Am I being detain or arrested, officer? If not, am I free to go?"

As far as having been in Thailand for five years without learning any Thai passed hello and thank you -- yes, they are right it is an outrage.

Would it be OK for a Mexican to move to your hometown in New York and not learn any English? Wait...don't answer that...

The "correct action", my derriere!

• Like 2

I don't trust the Thai police, If the ask me those questions, about where you go what you do etc... I never answer, just give a "Thai" answer like I don't know....and they also think that's ok.. never got in trouble doing that... I think it's none of their business where I was or where I go etc.

Thai questions and answers to "where are you going" or "where are you coming" from are just polite conversation and there are three standard answers, tura, tio and talat (business, pleasure and market), no details required or expected.

• Like 2

Thai questions and answers to "where are you going" or "where are you coming" from are just polite conversation and there are three standard answers, tura, tio and talat (business, pleasure and market), no details required or expected.

I find those questions disturbing, if they want to be polite the could ask "how are you doing", or say "good evening sir"...

Again, where I go and where I come from is none of their business.

• Like 1

I remember a few years ago being stopped on a road block returning from San Patong to CM, they took me aside and after all the usual identity questions they asked what I thought about Thaksin, I said I don't know him so have no opinion, then they asked if I supported Obama for prez, I said yea, they gave thumbs up and I was on my way.

I find those questions disturbing, if they want to be polite the could ask "how are you doing", or say "good evening sir"...

Again, where I go and where I come from is none of their business.

You must be disturbed often, I am asked daily, "bai nai?" or "bai nai ma"? pretty normal. If I am not in a mood to explain I will just reply ...bai gin kau... but then you may get, "oh,.. ja gin alai? facepalm.gif

• Like 2