going to loy kratong Yee Peng ceremony at Mae Jo

watgate

I went to this spectacular ceremony the previous 2 years with my g/f. We went in a van which was arranged by a nice fellow who is involved in a photography club in Chiang Mai. This year he is not going through the hassle of arranging transportation and I can't blame him. I was wondering what a good alternative is to go to this ceremony. The crowds and traffic are always massive. If one went by songthaew, does anyone know what the costs would be? Also, you can't expect the songthaew to wait all night for you so their is the added problem of returning to the center of chiang mai after the spectacle is finished. I guess one could take a taxi but I am sure they would try and gouge you price wise. Does anyone know if any hotels are arranging transportation to this ceremony? I don't have a car and I don't drive a motorbike so I am very limited in my options. Admittedly I am spoiled because the past 2 years, when we went by the van,the cost was very reasonable and we had a guaranteed ride back after the ceremony was finished.

I have yet to find a Thai person who knows for certain when the Ye Ping event will be. This website says it is 25 October http://www.cmstay.com/october-25-2014-confirmed/, I'm sure they would not post that date if they weren't confident of it, but since I don't know who or what "CMStay" is I'd like confirmation.

Once the date is established I'm sure a number of tour businesses will offer transportation from the old city to Mae Jo and back. A friend told me that last year the prices were 500 baht per person or more. I suggest leaving no later than mid-afternoon and don't expect to return until late. The event is becoming increasingly crowded and the traffic increasingly bad.

Edited by heybruce

The cmstay.com link is correct. If you prefer a Thai site, CM108 just posted the same info albeit few weeks after cmstay

I'll assume the 25 October date is correct. Thanks. I was skeptical because it is much earlier than usual, and only two days after the new moon instead of close to the full moon.

I think there are 2 events, the free event for the sky lantern release is on October 25 and the one when you need to buy tickets is on November 8. More info on the following link:

http://www.thaizer.com/festivals/the-mass-sky-lantern-release-at-mae-jo-chiang-mai-is-not-the-yi-peng-festival/

@watgate: I might be going as well this year (have missed the event the last 2 years), do depending where you stay, maybe I can give you a lift.

• Like 1