Fatty Liver

N47HAN

Nutritionists know rubbish. First carbs were good over meat, causing obesity in America and elsewhere,then lean meat was OK but because fat was missing so was zinc, salt was a killer,now its not so bad,it's sugar which is bad, drink fruit juice it's good for you,now it isn't,they are just as bad as financial advisers.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After hep B you've got to manage your liver for your whole life. That means going very easy on the liver poison ie alcohol. Your choice brother.

well i don't have hep B and as for drinking alcohol i doubt if i drink more than 4 beers a week. It used to be said white bread was bad for you,eat full corn bread but now that is bad for you because it raises blood sugar, milk is now bad so is cheese, what a load of rubbish.

Thats like saying youre mildly diseased or a woman saying shes mildly pregrant..you either have or you dont have is no such case as any disease not being such a big deal..dont joke with your health unless you want to die prematurely.

I know that some of this seems contradictory but you should do yourself a favour and type coconut oil and liver benefits into a search engine. do the same with soda, diet soda, good saturated fats with liver or even fatty liver and all will be revealed. Better still, add Dr Mercola as he is an excellent doctor that really knows his business.

Then you really discover what's good and what is not good, some of your findings might shock you - but at least it will put you on the right road to recovery!!

My liver values are excellent, so I don't need recovery.

But most probably I already do most of what is recommended. I don't drink any sodas, almost no fruit juice, no sugar, low carbs, low fat (often a problem with my wife), exercise, no fast food, 99% self cooked etc.

Only a bit on the alcohol side, sometimes

All good except for one thing - the self same thing that you mention that you have a problem with your wife about.

Some fats are good for the liver - as cited by me in a different post eg: avocado, nuts and seeds and coconut oil specifically.

People make the fatal mistake of believing low fat/zero fat, low sugar/zero sugar and health food (on the label) are better for you. THEY ARE NOT!!

Everything else you do is perfect and you are to be commended on that - have a look at liver and fats in a search engine and you will see that it is only trans and refined fats and oils that are bad for the liver - the damage is multiplied once you apply heat to them.

It is not save to cook and eat vegetable oils, especially safflower and canola oil. Stick to healthy organic virgin coconut oil for cooking and extra virgin olive oil for 'light' cooking and marinades and you can't go wrong.

I have so much trouble cooking with olive oil. I try to keep heat low but it still spatters everywhere and burns off. My chef friends tell me its not suitable for frying.....? They say because of it's low heat tolerance its inefficient for frying. I know its good for you but if you can't cook with it what's the point?

When any fat reaches it's smoking point it undergoes a chemical change and becomes a trans fat. Trans fats are toxic and need to be avoided. All fats have their own smoking point. You can't fry food in a fat with a low smoking point. Olive oil has a low smoking point so save it for your salad dressings

• Like 1

Sichonsteve, you said; " I don't think that you appreciate it but coke/soda water is far worse for you than beer and will do far more damage. Don't believe me then check it out for yourself!!

You will be shocked. HFCS does infinitely more damage than alcohol!

What might also surprise you is that diet/zero calorie drinks are even worse than the sugary versions for both liver damage and putting on weight."

I don't disagree that both coke and diet coke are bad for you, but I do disagree that drinking diet coke can make you gain weight. I switched from regular coke to diet coke and in three months lost 15 kilograms. Also doing a search I could only find that soda water us good for you, not bad for you.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion as it is irrefutable (unless you listen to soda manufacturers) that it is causing widespread liver damage and is killing people!

Don't know how to do links but check out 'how soft drinks damage your liver by Dr Mercola and put the words soda and liver damage into a search engine.

Artificial sweeteners are toxic and DO cause you to put on weight. put toxic weight gain and artificial sweeteners into a search engine whilst you are at it.

I think you speak about something different: one speaks about Soda and mean coke, fanta, sprite, etc.. And the other means Soda= Soda water.

I think the word Soda is used different in different regions.

Yes, if it is carbonated (fizzy) water then that is fine, but once they chuck HFCF and 20 spoonful's of sugar in it then that is a different thing.

When any fat reaches it's smoking point it undergoes a chemical change and becomes a trans fat. Trans fats are toxic and need to be avoided. All fats have their own smoking point. You can't fry food in a fat with a low smoking point. Olive oil has a low smoking point so save it for your salad dressings

Correct - to answer 2 postings at once ONLY use organic virgin oil for cooking as it has a high smoking point and is stable to heat.

I know that some of this seems contradictory but you should do yourself a favour and type coconut oil and liver benefits into a search engine. do the same with soda, diet soda, good saturated fats with liver or even fatty liver and all will be revealed. Better still, add Dr Mercola as he is an excellent doctor that really knows his business.

Then you really discover what's good and what is not good, some of your findings might shock you - but at least it will put you on the right road to recovery!!

My liver values are excellent, so I don't need recovery.

But most probably I already do most of what is recommended. I don't drink any sodas, almost no fruit juice, no sugar, low carbs, low fat (often a problem with my wife), exercise, no fast food, 99% self cooked etc.

Only a bit on the alcohol side, sometimes

All good except for one thing - the self same thing that you mention that you have a problem with your wife about.

Some fats are good for the liver - as cited by me in a different post eg: avocado, nuts and seeds and coconut oil specifically.

People make the fatal mistake of believing low fat/zero fat, low sugar/zero sugar and health food (on the label) are better for you. THEY ARE NOT!!

Everything else you do is perfect and you are to be commended on that - have a look at liver and fats in a search engine and you will see that it is only trans and refined fats and oils that are bad for the liver - the damage is multiplied once you apply heat to them.

It is not save to cook and eat vegetable oils, especially safflower and canola oil. Stick to healthy organic virgin coconut oil for cooking and extra virgin olive oil for 'light' cooking and marinades and you can't go wrong.

I have so much trouble cooking with olive oil. I try to keep heat low but it still spatters everywhere and burns off. My chef friends tell me its not suitable for frying.....? They say because of it's low heat tolerance its inefficient for frying. I know its good for you but if you can't cook with it what's the point?

Only do light (low temperature cooking) with olive oil - cook only with coconut oil.

Thats like saying youre mildly diseased or a woman saying shes mildly pregrant..you either have or you dont have is no such case as any disease not being such a big deal..dont joke with your health unless you want to die prematurely.

You seem mildly confused!

You can have degrees of things such as mild or severe concussion, the same with the weather, curries ie: mild, medium or hot.

What you cannot do is be mildly colour blind or as you put it, mildly pregnant or anything where you are either, or - in other words one or the other.

Thx h90.

Yup was off the beer for a year after the hep b and and given the light for a beer. That was maybe 5 years ago or so.

Time to lay off the sauce again i guess ?

Im pretty normal weight wise except for the beer belly ive developed :-(.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

yes exactly as my father....pretty normal weight but a beer belly. He removed the belly and the liver was happy again.

Seems it is a question of eating or drinking tongue.png

Yes must admit iv'e had more than my fair share of liquid lunches over the last couple of years.

The year i stopped drinking lost touch with alot of friends from the local bars , never could be botheted to go and see them and drink a coke while they were merrily drinking away.

Of course if i need to stop drinking then i will but i know its another year of life style change again.

Guess ill go back to bkkhospital next week and get another test and scan to see whats going on.

I've not read all the posts but Coke contains high fructose corn syrup and that is processed by the liver and only the liver, in the exact same way as if it were alcohol.

So you did a great job not visiting the bars and drinking soda with HFCS!

You might as well have had the alcohol since the damage to the liver will be the same.

Nowadays, there is so much HFCS in food and drink that there are people with liver damage at the same level as heavy drinkers, yet they never ever drank alcohol.

The zero calorie drinks use artificial sweeteners that are also bad for you.

It's not easy to win in this modern screwed up world.

Moderation in all things is good.

Take a measure round your waist, over your belly button.

Now measure your hips round the biggest part of your backside.

Divide the waist measurement by the hip measurement.

If the result is greater than 1 you are up for all the regular illnesses of the century, diabetes, heart disease etc.

Reduce your body fat content until the result is about 0.8 and you will be fine.

In short, if your belly is bigger than your hips - you are screwed!

• Like 1

After hep B you've got to manage your liver for your whole life. That means going very easy on the liver poison ie alcohol. Your choice brother.

well i don't have hep B and as for drinking alcohol i doubt if i drink more than 4 beers a week. It used to be said white bread was bad for you,eat full corn bread but now that is bad for you because it raises blood sugar, milk is now bad so is cheese, what a load of rubbish.

In general, cereals are extremely bad for you - especially corn and much more so wheat. Wheat is highly inflammatory and affects some people more than others. Inflammation is the REAL killer and not as a majority of people think, cholesterol.

Cholesterol is essential for health and without it we would die. If your cholesterol level is too low then that can lead to heart attacks.

So bread is bad for you, breakfast cereal (except for cold steel rolled oats which is excellent for your health) are a toxic time bomb. Low and skimmed milk is bad for you - full fat milk is fine, refined cheeses are bad for you but correctly made cheese is excellent (contains CLA).

When in England I try to eat a lot of Kerrygold butter as this is made from pasture fed cows.

Low and Zero fat yoghourts should be avoided like the plague with the only one that is wondrous for your health being Kefir (I drink nearly a litre of home made kefir - made from whole fat milk) daily to boost my 'good' bacteria flora. Unfortunately, the only other yoghourt that can be recommended is full fat natural Greek yoghourt but you cannot get that in Thailand.

• Like 1

I think you need to present you qualifications in this area Steve otherwise you are at risk of being labelled, "yet another opinionated health fanatic"!

As a casual but seriously interested observer of the subject on diet and health, some of what you've written is only applicable to person specific aliments and diets, some of which is nonsense.

Am happy to engage on this topic later on tomorrow, currently am off to have an "unhealthy" dinner.

Sichonsteve, you said; " I don't think that you appreciate it but coke/soda water is far worse for you than beer and will do far more damage. Don't believe me then check it out for yourself!!

What might also surprise you is that diet/zero calorie drinks are even worse than the sugary versions for both liver damage and putting on weight."

I don't disagree that both coke and diet coke are bad for you, but I do disagree that drinking diet coke can make you gain weight. I switched from regular coke to diet coke and in three months lost 15 kilograms. Also doing a search I could only find that soda water us good for you, not bad for you.

Don't know how you came to that conclusion as it is irrefutable (unless you listen to soda manufacturers) that it is causing widespread liver damage and is killing people!

Don't know how to do links but check out 'how soft drinks damage your liver by Dr Mercola and put the words soda and liver damage into a search engine.

Artificial sweeteners are toxic and DO cause you to put on weight. put toxic weight gain and artificial sweeteners into a search engine whilst you are at it.

I think we may be confusing "soda" , called pop in Canada, and "soda water", they are two different things. I do not dispute that the former is bad for you, and probably your liver, but the research I have done, and many other people could find very little wrong with "soda water", also called "carbonated water", and the general opinion was it was good for you. As for, weight loss or gain, from diet drinks, I can only go from my own experience, and when I switched from regular coke, to diet coke, I lost 15 kilograms in 3 months. That is a substantial weight loss.

I think you need to present you qualifications in this area Steve otherwise you are at risk of being labelled, "yet another opinionated health fanatic"!

As a casual but seriously interested observer of the subject on diet and health, some of what you've written is only applicable to person specific aliments and diets, some of which is nonsense.

Am happy to engage on this topic later on tomorrow, currently am off to have an "unhealthy" dinner.

I see that as an interesting challenge - tell me what you are disagreeing with and I will put you to rights over it. Especially what you refer to as nonsense!!

I think you speak about something different: one speaks about Soda and mean coke, fanta, sprite, etc.. And the other means Soda= Soda water.

I think the word Soda is used different in different regions.

Just fyi: In New England they use the word 'tonic' to refer all carbonated, sugar-laced drinks like Coke, 7-Up, Fanta.

To the OP: Sorry to hear of your condition; I would suggest more fish instead of other meats, completely cut out processed/factory foods and lose weight with more cardio exercise. Beach running/jogging is a good one.

I am and always have been a heavy drinker, but always have normal blood pressure and no signs of diabetes. (looking for some wood to knock on here). My two brothers and father in the US all suffer from these problems, even though I drink more than all three of them (combined) and smoke a few cigarettes daily to boot.

I think a good diet and exercise is the key, but you have to be extra-rigorous about it if you want to keep drinking -- especially since none of us are getting any younger.

Anyway, best of luck and thanks for starting such a useful exchange of information.

In general, cereals are extremely bad for you - especially corn and much more so wheat. Wheat is highly inflammatory and affects some people more than others. Inflammation is the REAL killer and not as a majority of people think, cholesterol.

Cholesterol is essential for health and without it we would die. If your cholesterol level is too low then that can lead to heart attacks.

So bread is bad for you, breakfast cereal (except for cold steel rolled oats which is excellent for your health) are a toxic time bomb. Low and skimmed milk is bad for you - full fat milk is fine, refined cheeses are bad for you but correctly made cheese is excellent (contains CLA).

When in England I try to eat a lot of Kerrygold butter as this is made from pasture fed cows.

Low and Zero fat yoghourts should be avoided like the plague with the only one that is wondrous for your health being Kefir (I drink nearly a litre of home made kefir - made from whole fat milk) daily to boost my 'good' bacteria flora. Unfortunately, the only other yoghourt that can be recommended is full fat natural Greek yoghourt but you cannot get that in Thailand.

If one was to read and take seriously all the printed nutritionist advice available one wouldn't be able to eat anything. It depends on your genetic make up and metabolism. Full grain was once the be all and end all of good eating but not now,milk cheese and eggs the same then eggs weren't such a good idea and only low fat milk and cheese is definitely out, codswollop. Churchill was told he wouldn't live past 35 because of his high blood fat, drank too much, smoked too much etc, i think he was 90 when he died. I eat what i fancy and that includes full corn heavy German bread,cheese, milk, eggs, yogurt the sweeter the better. I got fed up with following nutritionist advice only to find two months later the advice was turned on its head. I also followed financial experts advice in serious finance magazines, lost a fortune.

• Like 2

If one was to read and take seriously all the printed nutritionist advice available one wouldn't be able to eat anything. It depends on your genetic make up and metabolism. Full grain was once the be all and end all of good eating but not now,milk cheese and eggs the same then eggs weren't such a good idea and only low fat milk and cheese is definitely out, codswollop. Churchill was told he wouldn't live past 35 because of his high blood fat, drank too much, smoked too much etc, i think he was 90 when he died. I eat what i fancy and that includes full corn heavy German bread,cheese, milk, eggs, yogurt the sweeter the better. I got fed up with following nutritionist advice only to find two months later the advice was turned on its head. I also followed financial experts advice in serious finance magazines, lost a fortune.

Best advice:- follow the money.

Companies big and small advertise to sell products.

They employ scientists to help them make their products more desirable.

The most successful food manufacturers have made their products so attractive, they are actually addictive.

Cheap, easy, convenient are not attributes that run together with best or good for you.

Proper organic ( you have to be lucky to find that in Thailand ) are the best and also the most expensive.

If you eat like that you will think twice about how much you eat.

Eat cheap and it is easy to eat too much.

The same with drink.

Take an expensive good wine and savour it.

Drink cheap and quaff gallons!

Chemical alternatives to sweeteners are bad because their chems break down in the body in a bad way and produce other byproducts like formaldehyde, because your body is a very clever machine, if you consume something sweet, it is programmed to expect that you have taken up many calories. It checks and when it does not see the expected calories, it turns on the - eat more signals.

Your hormones awe powerful and will win every time.

The previous poster who noted the different meaning of soda in different countries is correct.

Carbonated water - agua con gas, is fine, water with carbon dioxide.

Soda - carbonated water with flavours, they contain sugars, HFCS, colour, preservatives etc. these are not fine.

Right, off to savour some good wine (OK, easier whilst I'm in Spain)

Most important is to enjoy life.

Be healthy and enjoy more for longer.

Good luck to everyone.

(One mans meat is another mans poison)

Find out what is poison for you and avoid it.

Dr Mercola is not a good authority "Joseph M. Mercola (born 1954) is an alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and web entrepreneur, who markets a variety of controversial dietary supplements and medical devices "

Try http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/splenda.asp

I am not saying that either sugar or artificial sweeteners are good, they aren't. But do get good information.

Coke bad, yes.

Soda water bad, no.

US soda bad, yes. US soda is not soda water

Thx h90.

Yup was off the beer for a year after the hep b and and given the light for a beer. That was maybe 5 years ago or so.

Time to lay off the sauce again i guess ?

Im pretty normal weight wise except for the beer belly ive developed :-(.

yes exactly as my father....pretty normal weight but a beer belly. He removed the belly and the liver was happy again.

Seems it is a question of eating or drinking tongue.png

Yes must admit iv'e had more than my fair share of liquid lunches over the last couple of years.

The year i stopped drinking lost touch with alot of friends from the local bars , never could be botheted to go and see them and drink a coke while they were merrily drinking away.

Of course if i need to stop drinking then i will but i know its another year of life style change again.

Guess ill go back to bkkhospital next week and get another test and scan to see whats going on.

I've not read all the posts but Coke contains high fructose corn syrup and that is processed by the liver and only the liver, in the exact same way as if it were alcohol.

So you did a great job not visiting the bars and drinking soda with HFCS!

You might as well have had the alcohol since the damage to the liver will be the same.

Nowadays, there is so much HFCS in food and drink that there are people with liver damage at the same level as heavy drinkers, yet they never ever drank alcohol!

Coke does not always contain HFCS. US coke does because America has priced sugar much higher (3x) than HFCS so the food processors use it to get maximum profit.

Dr Mercola is not a good authority "Joseph M. Mercola (born 1954) is an alternative medicine proponent, osteopathic physician, and web entrepreneur, who markets a variety of controversial dietary supplements and medical devices "

Try http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/splenda.asp

I am not saying that either sugar or artificial sweeteners are good, they aren't. But do get good information.

Coke bad, yes.

Soda water bad, no.

US soda bad, yes. US soda is not soda water

Easy one!

You have made the classic mistake I'm afraid.

Have a look at the website address - splenda is the big clue - basically these sites exaggerate, tell lies and deceive you of the truth!!

Now look at independent sites - check about half a dozen and see what THEY say.

I can assure you that Dr Mercola knows what he is talking about - I was a research chemist before retirement and I understand the science behind his articles. Can you imagine who it is spreading these rumours about him? I will tell you, it is big pharma and big food as they are petrified of him due to his vilification of their drugs (artificial chemicals that are toxins) and food (artificial chemicals that are toxins with a little bit of real food thrown in).

He doesn't push his products at all - he advertises them yes, but does not push them, big difference!!

I have sussed how who is talking sense out of the many 'natural' physician's I receive e-mails from regarding these natural doctors and he is the best.

Put it this way - I cured myself of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, elevated liver enzyme markers, metabolic syndrome, constant tiredness and fatigue and inflammation (the real culprit for heart disease, NOT cholesterol) in under a month!!

I can give you the numbers if you really want.

I am also responsible for reversing diabetes type 2 in two of my mates (in 3 weeks) - their blood sugar levels are normal now and have remained so for over a year. How comes, if normal GP's are that good say that you cannot reverse diabetes (type 2) and once you get it you have it for life!!! It was easy peasy to do and without a drug in sight. Drugs are killers apart from when trauma, accident and operations are involved when often they are often absolutely necessary and must be administered quickly in order to save lives.

For conditions such as heart and liver disease then drugs only succeed in making it worse in the long run as they don't address the root cause of the problem - natural supplements, herbs, minerals and vitamins DO!!.

As to the second part relating to soda - forget carbonated water! with a bit of lemon in it that is an excellent choice of a drink.

I am talking about the other 'killer' version containing HFCS and a ton of sugar - do not drink ANYTHING out of a bottle that was made in a factory, not even fruit juices as they are just terrible for you. In fact, don't drink or eat anything that comes out of a factory as it is gunk basically, chock full of toxic chemicals. It is especially important not to consume anything that says low, zero, free (of), and healthy written on the label.

Let me know if you want to see those numbers, won't you, as I'm quite proud of my self-treatment and advice given to others. The power of the internet indeed!!!!

• Like 1

Please don't go there, we've heard this story time after time from Mercola and supplement advocates, Diabetes cannot be reversed, it can only be managed.

Yes, I am a well managed Type 2 diabetic.

For your sake, I hope you don't use drugs as they are unnecessary and dangerous!!

Why take chemicals (often with serious side effects) when you can do it with 'naturals'?

• Like 1

Please don't go there, we've heard this story time after time from Mercola and supplement advocates, Diabetes cannot be reversed, it can only be managed.

For your sake, I hope you don't use drugs as they are unnecessary and dangerous!!

Why take chemicals (often with serious side effects) when you can do it with 'naturals'?

I don't take drugs, I eat a managed and controlled diet, no supplements et al. The point however is, diabetes cannot be reversed, I need you to agree that is the case or to post a link from a mainstream medical source such as the Mayo Clinic that demonstrates otherwise.

Nathan, next time you have a blood test get them to check your iron levels (ferritin).

Many years ago my doctor found I had liver problems and put me off alcohol for a month. He strongly chastised me when the levels were still high and didn't believe I hadn't touched a drop of grog for the period.

I later self diagnosed that I had hemochromatosis (aka Iron Overload Disease). This can affect several organs in your body, commonly the liver, and if untreated can lead to death from many things like diabetes and liver cancer.

It's quite common, particularly with people of Celtic descent. Everyone should check at least once to ensure they are free of the condition. It is very rare in Thailand and haematologists here are not necessarily up with latest monitoring and treatment. I've had disagreements with one specialist about treatment and have an appointment with a new one in a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, the health food nuts (!) who believe their regimen is right for everyone should not be followed blindly. People should be aware that Oats (for example) are high in purines and not recommended for us gout sufferers.

• Like 1

Wasn't expecting so many replies.

Lots of opinions out there ,

I remember from hep b the does and donts to help protect liver function so it would appear basically the same regime.

As i said will call into bkkphuket this week for some tests.

Ill report back with results and what they reccommend once ive been.

Thanks for your input chaps

• Like 1

I don't take drugs, I eat a managed and controlled diet, no supplements et al. The point however is, diabetes cannot be reversed, I need you to agree that is the case or to post a link from a mainstream medical source such as the Mayo Clinic that demonstrates otherwise.

Indeed, diabetes cannot be "reversed" but type 2 can certainly often be controlled by diet alone. This is not the same as reversal.

Nathan, next time you have a blood test get them to check your iron levels (ferritin).

Many years ago my doctor found I had liver problems and put me off alcohol for a month. He strongly chastised me when the levels were still high and didn't believe I hadn't touched a drop of grog for the period.

I later self diagnosed that I had hemochromatosis (aka Iron Overload Disease). This can affect several organs in your body, commonly the liver, and if untreated can lead to death from many things like diabetes and liver cancer.

It's quite common, particularly with people of Celtic descent. Everyone should check at least once to ensure they are free of the condition. It is very rare in Thailand and haematologists here are not necessarily up with latest monitoring and treatment. I've had disagreements with one specialist about treatment and have an appointment with a new one in a couple of weeks.

Incidentally, the health food nuts (!) who believe their regimen is right for everyone should not be followed blindly. People should be aware that Oats (for example) are high in purines and not recommended for us gout sufferers.

Purines from plant sources are no where near as bad as from animals.

Tart cherries are probably the best thing you can have for gout.

Indeed, diabetes cannot be "reversed" but type 2 can certainly often be controlled by diet alone. This is not the same as reversal.

I agree that diet (and exercise) are the best form of diabetes (type 2) management.

I would disagree that it cannot be reversed as some doctors say that if you become diabetic then you remain diabetic for life. If you are diabetic and you become non-diabetic (normal blood sugar levels) then indeed you have reversed your diabetes. Obviously, if you don't manage it you can become diabetic again so it is not reversed whereby you will never become diabetic again. In other words it is not permanent unless it stays managed.

• Like 1