Assistant teachers, trainers, lecturers

peterkeip

Of course I already contacted several schools and I am sure I can find a job somewhere in Isan, because of teacher´s shortage, but the school´s principal should tell me whether he can arrange a proper/legal contract, visa and work permit etc. for a non-native speaker without a degree or not. That -in my opinion- would be fair.

Am I right ?

Legal contract - yes, schools issue contracts so can give you one.

Work permit - schools don't issue work permits, the DoL does. So the school can't say yes (especially as you're not legally meant to get one, but the DoL often makes exceptions if the school asks nicely.

Visa - You can get a marriage visa/extension, you don't need one based on work. If you can't get one based on marriage, then the answer is that immigration grants visas/extensions based on employment, not the school, and as you don't have a degree they likely wouldn't give you one, unless you asked very nicely lol.

The school can't claim to offer you a work permit or visa/extension because they don't issue them. Thus it wouldn't be fair on you for the school to offer something which is the responsibility of another organization & to which you're not legally entitled.

• Like 1

The school can tell if they have been successful in the past getting unqualified people work permits but as Sly Animal pointed out it is not up to them.

I think some schools might hire someone without a degree if desperate but unlikely department of labor will issue a work permit.

The odds of working legally in a grade 1-12 Thai school long term is extremely low.

The school can tell if they have been successful in the past getting unqualified people work permits but as Sly Animal pointed out it is not up to them.

I think some schools might hire someone without a degree if desperate but unlikely department of labor will issue a work permit.

The odds of working legally in a grade 1-12 Thai school long term is extremely low.

Especially when you'd like to have SS, which is only possible with a work permit.

Especially when you'd like to have SS, which is only possible with a work permit.

I hear people talking about SS. I have only worked for private schools and I think not enrolled.

So, in which way did you solve all these difficulties ?

I didn't step on too many other peoples' feet, f you know what i mean.

Just because of you, now I'm thinking twice, or maybe thrice, to give anybody else any sort of advice.

Thanks a lot Mr. Peter Kelp for your unselfish help.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I didn't step on too many other peoples' feet, f you know what i mean.

Just because of you, now I'm thinking twice, or maybe thrice, to give anybody else any sort of advice.

Thanks a lot Mr. Peter Kelp for your unselfish help.-facepalm.gif

I do hope my questions helped some teachers on this forum to get some more updated information (from you and others), in order to survive in Thailand.

By the way: are you aware of what you have done ? Of course you have given a lot of detailed information and very good advice, but -on the other hand- some messages were just libel and slander, what is prohibited on this forum. You should know that. You could have send a private message to my email address, but instead you posted it in public forum: that´s -again- libel and slander. Apparantly I am not in the position to raise up your bad conscience... Instead I just realize irony and sarcasm.

My last question was: in which way did you solve all these difficulties: no degree, work permit, non-B-visa... Do you have something to hide ?

Edited by Scott
Remark moved out of the quote box

A post which was inside quoted text has been edited. Please be careful not to post only quotes (they are removed) and to make sure your remarks are outside the quoted text.

The cursor needs to be outside the quote box when you start typing.

I believe you are truly wanting to work legally in Thailand. Many choose to work illegal but your motives may be more about health care.

Your repeater posts are similar to this:

I want to be a professional basketball star but I'm short and can't shoot the ball good.

How can I overcome this?

What advice would you give to a person 170 cm tall that wants to be a professional basketball player?

Anything is possible but maybe difficult to come true.

You probably need to adjust your goals.

Edited by brianp0803

How long have you been married?

I think you have been living separate for a while because you found work in a different province.

I assume your wife knew about your education when she married you.

Even married, unless you have money, or skills then you can't stay here legally.

Unless very special skills then difficult to find work when you get older.

Maybe your best option is to return to Germany. You can stay there legal and more opportunities to work. You can even work in a department store.

If your wife wants to live with you then she must also make adjustments.

Will the German government support you and your wife if you are living legally in Germany?

Please keep it civil. If you do not wish to respond, you do not have to. If you wish to respond with an off-topic or inflammatory post, you will get a warning.

The issue here guys it that the OP is scared and looking at few options. You folks are being so nice to him and that's admirable.

He may deny that he's scared but he has a need to stay in Thailand (perhaps a wife near Sisaket) and he has few options. Working at all in Thailand is a crap shoot and he wants to work in a school while not having a degree or being an NES.

He's feeling cornered, he's been scammed at an ATM, and things look pretty bleak.

I think it's entirely admirable that folks are hanging in there with him and I hope you continue to do so. He's looking for a life line.

Cheers.

• Like 2

But since he is a German citizen I would think he has a lifeline from his government.

Sometimes in life we need to make sacrifices. We can't all have the job we like or work in the area we want.

Not having a degree, not being NES, not having money, being older are all against him.

If he has an extensive resume teaching then he might have options.

Beyond having short course TEFL certificate, what job skills does he have on his resume.

Since he is older, he should be able to list job skills.

His wife might need to accept that she needs to support him. May not be her desire but need to make sacrifices for love.

I suspect his education and skills in Germany did not provide him the life he wanted and is desperately searching to find it in Thailand.

Back in Germany he could work legal in a restaurant, but not in Thailand.

• Like 1

Please keep it civil. If you do not wish to respond, you do not have to. If you wish to respond with an off-topic or inflammatory post, you will get a warning.

The issue here guys it that the OP is scared and looking at few options. You folks are being so nice to him and that's admirable.

He may deny that he's scared but he has a need to stay in Thailand (perhaps a wife near Sisaket) and he has few options. Working at all in Thailand is a crap shoot and he wants to work in a school while not having a degree or being an NES.

He's feeling cornered, he's been scammed at an ATM, and things look pretty bleak.

I think it's entirely admirable that folks are hanging in there with him and I hope you continue to do so. He's looking for a life line.

Cheers.

Never Sure, you're making some good points. Yes, everybody deserves a helping hand in such a situation.

I tried my best, even "telling" him that he might be lucky with a life experience degree, where to go to, whom to ask, etc...

But enough is enough, you can't just answer the same questions over and over again.

Where and when did I mention that I do not have a degree, nor a Non-B visa?

I have a BA from a German university, translated into Thai and verified.And a Non-B visa.

Accusing members who WERE helpful and spent quite some time to answer the OP's questions, that they have something to hide?

That just shows the guy's character.

I believe his real question is:

Can someone find him a job (in same city as wife? ) that will give him a work permit and health coverage even though he was not meet the lowest criteria a school would want.

Did he ever contact the local guy suggested by lostinisaan?

A local contact is the best option

Cheers.

Never Sure, you're making some good points. Yes, everybody deserves a helping hand in such a situation.

I tried my best, even "telling" him that he might be lucky with a life experience degree, where to go to, whom to ask, etc...

But enough is enough, you can't just answer the same questions over and over again.

I have a BA from a German university, translated into Thai and verified.And a Non-B visa.

Accusing members who WERE helpful and spent quite some time to answer the OP's questions, that they have something to hide?

We have a simple misunderstanding. I was meaning that the OP says he doesn't have a degree. I just looked at my post again, and talking about the OP I said:

"Working at all in Thailand is a crap shoot and he wants to work in a school while not having a degree or being an NES.."

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Cheers.

We have a simple misunderstanding. I was meaning that the OP says he doesn't have a degree. I just looked at my post again, and talking about the OP I said:

"Working at all in Thailand is a crap shoot and he wants to work in a school while not having a degree or being an NES.."

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Dear Never Sure,

I have to apologize that I quoted the OP's post together with your input, as there were already too many posts to answer him directly.

OP's words of wisdom:

:"My last question was: in which way did you solve all these difficulties: no degree, work permit, non-B-visa... Do you have something to hide ?"

Sorry, Never Sure, the man of confusion made me confused in the Land of confusion.....Cheers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pkVLqSaahk

Peter, the impermanence of things over here is something you will know by now?

Everything is in flux: panta rhei... Everything is changing. As you are changing yourself, too.

Thanks to LostinIsaan for his helpful and practical tips. Just do it and don't worry about irrelevant stuff like being able to do this for more than the next semester.

Right now, schools are screaming out for teachers!

Give it your best shot and live in the moment. It might end in a few months or in a few years. OH NO THIS WOULD BE WORSE Chances are that you won't be staying at any school fo longer than a couple of years coffee1.gif

Hi WonnabeBiker, thanks for your comment, but I really have to consider about the future, that means for the next 15 years. Now I am 49 and I have to find continously a Job (interruptions would be worse, because I really need a regular and permanent income (and social security, provided from school as well) for these next 15 years, until the age of 65, then I am expecting an old-age-pension from my home country. Teaching just for a couple of years would be financially disastrous. That why I am striving for teaching as long as possible: Do you know about contacts of employment ? Many times they end up after a year and the teacher has to search for a new job at another School. Does it mean that I have to do a visa run as well ? Thank you ...

Probably, both. Contracts only being for a year (do consider it good fortune if a school's actually giving you one for 12 months. No end of issues arise with shorter contracts most of us have and will get). And then yes to the need for Visa runs. Been there, done that - despite having a degree.

Sometimes a school doesn't want to do the paperwork during the probationary period. Or they screw up - we had many a teacher return empty handed from Chaeng Wattana and Vientiane!

Look, you cannot get any job security over here. Certainly not as a teacher! Along comes someone from Cameroon who offers to work for 10 k less than you. Guess who your school will hire? Wonna find out?

You CAN live on 10 k if that's necessary and save that way. You CAN teach at language schools if you are any good and live in a larger town. You COULD return to Germany and see if you can land a job there?

NO JOB SECURITY. Read it aloud 10 times a day.

Now, how about answering some posters' questions? Some went to great length to provide you helpful info.

Would you be mobile? Leave Sisaket and work in a neighboring country? I've gone down this path...

• Like 1

Peter, the impermanence of things over here is something you will know by now?

Everything is in flux: panta rhei... Everything is changing. As you are changing yourself, too.

Thanks to LostinIsaan for his helpful and practical tips. Just do it and don't worry about irrelevant stuff like being able to do this for more than the next semester.

Right now, schools are screaming out for teachers!

Give it your best shot and live in the moment. It might end in a few months or in a few years. OH NO THIS WOULD BE WORSE Chances are that you won't be staying at any school fo longer than a couple of years coffee1.gif

Hi WonnabeBiker, thanks for your comment, but I really have to consider about the future, that means for the next 15 years. Now I am 49 and I have to find continously a Job (interruptions would be worse, because I really need a regular and permanent income (and social security, provided from school as well) for these next 15 years, until the age of 65, then I am expecting an old-age-pension from my home country. Teaching just for a couple of years would be financially disastrous. That why I am striving for teaching as long as possible: Do you know about contacts of employment ? Many times they end up after a year and the teacher has to search for a new job at another School. Does it mean that I have to do a visa run as well ? Thank you ...

Probably, both. Contracts only being for a year (do consider it good fortune if a school's actually giving you one for 12 months. No end of issues arise with shorter contracts most of us have and will get). And then yes to the need for Visa runs. Been there, done that - despite having a degree.

Sometimes a school doesn't want to do the paperwork during the probationary period. Or they screw up - we had many a teacher return empty handed from Chaeng Wattana and Vientiane!

Look, you cannot get any job security over here. Certainly not as a teacher! Along comes someone from Cameroon who offers to work for 10 k less than you. Guess who your school will hire? Wonna find out?

You CAN live on 10 k if that's necessary and save that way. You CAN teach at language schools if you are any good and live in a larger town. You COULD return to Germany and see if you can land a job there?

NO JOB SECURITY. Read it aloud 10 times a day.

Now, how about answering some posters' questions? Some went to great length to provide you helpful info.

Would you be mobile? Leave Sisaket and work in a neighboring country? I've gone down this path...

Self destroyed after two minutes.

Edited by lostinisaan