Cleaning washing machine from algae (or similar)

retoocs01

After a few years of using the machine (cold water), I've recently found green-black pieces of algae(?) in my clothes.

They look like the pieces that come out of our garden water hose some times.

Since these machines have no sewage pump, there are always a few litres of waters left after washing, what may cause this?

post-147752-0-19194000-1413087218_thumb.

So yesterday, I moved the machine on a higher base, filled it with water and added "Dettol antiseptic disinfectant" and let it rest over night.

post-147752-0-82798100-1413086297_thumb.

Today, when I drained off the water, it was full of these black slimy pieces.

Any good ideas, how to get completely rid off these unwanted algae(?) farm?

PS: the machine is connected ta a water tank, maybe this tank needs a cleaning/disinfection too?

If yes, how to do it?

thanks in advance

Edited by retoocs01

The algae that we get in the washing machine comes from the house that is used to fill it, large pieces like in your picture. It is a clear hose and I just remove it and clean it when the algae starts growing. I usually let it soak in a bucket of bleach before reinstalling it.

The algae that we get in the washing machine comes from the house that is used to fill it, large pieces like in your picture. It is a clear hose and I just remove it and clean it when the algae starts growing. I usually let it soak in a bucket of bleach before reinstalling it.

I presume you meant hose thumbsup.gif

We get that on the clear garden hoses we use but water to the washing machine is on the house run and then in a short blue plastic pipe (not clear) to the machine from an outside wall outlet so never seen any algae in the machine yet............

If you have one of the normal plastic water tanks enough light can enter to grow an algae farm inside the tank - especially if using un-chlorinated water source. The plastic sandstone types or SS tanks are recommended to prevent this from my understanding.

We get that on the clear garden hoses we use but water to the washing machine is on the house run and then in a short blue plastic pipe (not clear) to the machine from an outside wall outlet so never seen any algae in the machine yet............

Same here, the machine is also connected to the house water, not to a separate hose.

If you have one of the normal plastic water tanks enough light can enter to grow an algae farm inside the tank - especially if using un-chlorinated water source. The plastic sandstone types or SS tanks are recommended to prevent this from my understanding.

I've have one of these plastic sandstone types, especially bought because of it's UV resistance.

And it's in the shadow most of the day.

Water is chlorinated tap water, not from a well or a "water car"

Well, I should add, the tap water is also far away from "crystal clear"

When I cleaned the machine today, I "bypassed" the tank water and used only tap water, but no difference in "clearness" or better cloudiness xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png

post-147752-0-38769300-1413102683_thumb.

I would use something a bit more potent than Dettol, regular Haiter bleach will do a sterling job, fill the machine, add a bottle of the bleach, leave overnight. Flush out well before using.

Do have a look inside your water tank, you can treat it in the same way if you have issues.

• Like 1

From the color of the algae, I would say that somewhere in the system, you have water exposed to light. You will not get rid of the algae until you get rid of the light or rise the chlorine levels in the system. I would start by visually inspecting everything that I could. You might be lucky and be able to see where it is growing. You could try putting a really dark tarp over that water tank.

Edited by Pacificperson

Agree about the light forming algae.

Our machine is outside under cover at the back of the house

Had similar problem because of a short clear plastic hose from the wall tap to the machine, you could see the algae build up in the clear pipe.

Wrapped black insulating tape round the clear pipe.

Problem solved. thumbsup.gif

WE have a short clear plastic hose from the outlet to the washer and you can see the algae buildup. I clean it occasionally. When I went to replace it with a green one my wife didn't want me to because she wouldn't be able to see the dirt! I told her that if I replaced it there wouldn't be "dirt" anymore but it went on deaf ears. The clear hose is still there and I clean it when she gripes! Thogic!!!

Well, there is no clear hose in the whole water systeme, except the one for garden watering.

BUT, after a little bit thinking:

The water PVC pipes from the road to the tank are about 30 metres (15m each direction)

These blue PVC pipes get sun a few hours every day.

Maybe they are not UV resistant...

Could this cause the whole misery?

Well after a little bit of investigating, it is clear that these algae must have been grown inside the machine.

Because there is a tiny filter in the water inlet, which makes it impossible that things, bigger than a sandkorn, could pass.

What you think about adding chlorine for swimming pools, maybe once a month, to eliminate the algae?

• 2 weeks later...

What you think about adding chlorine for swimming pools, maybe once a month, to eliminate the algae?

Haiter bleach is chlorine, and is often the actual thing used to sanitize smaller pools. Also readily available, cheap and easy to store smile.png

A full bottle as Crossy suggests would be overkill though (and potentially corrosive) - a 3,000L kids pool only needs a few capfuls of Haiter to reach normal chlorination levels.

Edited by IMHO

My water tank is full of algae. Lately I have been itching after showers it feels like. Is this because of a "dirty" water tank or might it be something else?

Start by sanitizing your tank with Haiter - once that has cleaned up the algae, see what your water quality is like then.