Online Swift Wire Transfers Us To Thailand

OK, I know this has been talked about before, but caveats always seem to come up.

So, what I am looking for is there any American who has an internet bank account in the US (as opposed to like B of A or Citibank) who in the last year has successfully SWIFT wired an amount over 10,000 dollars from the US net bank account to their Thai bank account? Online. No phone calls. No fax. Is this really possible? What was involved in the initial setup?

As you can see, I am skeptical. I have a non-internet bank account (Wachovia) that supports this with phone call (and sometimes fax needed) but I like the idea of just doing it online. But I don't want to bother opening a new account if it is not going to be an improvent.

Edited by Thaiquila

Thaiquila.

Not familiar with US banks, but here is the demo screen for online banking

in Abbey International's (UK) online banking website.

Note the fields for SWIFT number etc. No tel. or fax communications required.

Abbey website

Naka.

Edited by naka

You'll probably first want to change the phone number the bank has for you to a number that can be accessed from Thailand. The SkypeIn service (from Skype, of course) allows you to do this. It will transfer a call from a US exchange (US telephone number) to you on the Internet when you are logged in.

For NetBank, for example, you must wait 90 days before your account is marked as "secure" again, after you have changed any personal details such as your address or phone number. If you want to wire transfer money before that 90-day period they will most likely want to call you to verify the transfer.

A regular internet SWIFT transfer at NetBank works like this: you logon and click on "Wire Transfer" then input the answer to your secret question (from when you signed up for the account). You're then taken to a standard int'l wire transfer screen (pasted below for your perusal) and you press the submit button when you're done.

Works great at 2am in your underwear.

I've never transferred more than $10,000 at one time FROM the US, though. Make sure you've submitted to the IRS that form (I forget which one) that lets them know of any foreign bank accounts before you do this, just so as not to raise any red flags.

I've spoken to them once about making an international wire transfer of no specific amount, though, and all they told me is the above. (No additional forms)

------------------------ NetBank International Wire Transfer screen----------

Originating Account*:

Transfer Amount*: $

Contact Phone Number*: Ext

(To contact you if we have questions about this wire)

Beneficiary Name*:

Beneficiary Address Line 1*:

(No P.O. Box)

Beneficiary Address Line 2:

Beneficiary City*:

Beneficiary State or Province*:

Beneficiary Postal Code:

Beneficiary Country*:

Beneficiary Phone Number:

Beneficiary Email Address:

Beneficiary Account Number*:

Beneficiary Bank Code*:

(SWIFT, SORT, BLZ Code)

Beneficiary Bank Name*:

Beneficiary Bank City*:

Beneficiary Bank Country*:

Additional Wire Information:

(will be transmitted with wire)

Additional Instructions to NetBank:

Intermediary Bank Information

This information is needed only if the wire requires transmission through an intermediary bank before final credit to a beneficiary bank.

United States Bank

Non-U.S. Bank

Intermediary Bank ABA/Routing Number:

Intermediary Bank Name: