Songkhla Railway Station

rajyindee

I live across the road from Songkhla railway station and there is no way that the old station can be used without cutting through Lee Supermarket ....

As for the old Songkhla railway station there still working on the building once its finished I will put up some pictures .

I think that some some cultural centre was/is planned for the old railway station. I'd like to see more of the same in the old town.

On another note, a few years back there was a local councilor who's manifest was to link up some villages towards Sadao to HY and out towards Songkhla with an electric train service. lol.

There was a large meeting in Hat Yai a couple of weeks ago about the proposed monorail system.

Hatyai monorail

Yeah! That's it .. Thanks

Coming from ban pru to klong hae, I thought it was further to songkhla but I see now it's expanded in other directions.

It's good the website recognizes the congestion that the songthaews cause, it was a joke by gim yong today, with all three lanes clogged backed up to the roundabout by the pickups and a totally clear thereafter.

I'm behind Siam Nakarin, and if I go to Robinsons, I always go via Ratakhan rd to avoid that stretch of Petkasem....but yesterday, on Ratakhan, there was the perfect storm of a traffic jam...a double parked car on each side, followed by a side car motobike deciding to go the wrong way on each side. Noone would alter course, and it got to the point where noone could move even if they wanted.

Bring on a raised commuter train.

On the topic of traffic, please be warned that Thaksin University is having graduation this week and it is a gridlock traffic nightmare along Kanchanawanich Road most of the day, easing at around 5-6pm. They have even resurrected the U-turn in front of Thanathip (temporarily, I suspect) to try and help, but it is was very bad today and will be tomorrow as well.

After that the forecast is for the normal mayhem.

• 2 months later...

Did anyone else notice - The road that runs parallel to the "big C extra" canal has been extended and looks like there will be more properties being built overlooking the storm drain.

If you continue the road, it ends in a canal basin where there is a trash removal plant, from there you can see an old railway bridge.

How this has survived the scrappers I will never know ?

yxYwMcul.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The shanty town around the station was always an eyesore but after the flood many years back, the people recd no assistsnce and the area was just left to get on with it.

I recall going down on the train after the flood snd then for few years thereafter thinking, wow still such a mess. No love for the poors.

• 4 months later...

Some time ago we were discussing the old Songkhla railway station , The other day while walking past I see that the building work is now finished and this is what the place looks like now . I found some news links on Youtube of the old station but still not come across any photos of any trains at the old station and it was only closed in 1978 never did find out if there was a turn table ?

http://2bangkok.com/2bangkok-srt-songkhlaline.html

http://portal.rotfaithai.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5178&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXQGb2g0gxU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAJaKPmsYdA

post-90608-0-45166400-1451964929_thumb.j

post-90608-0-40383900-1451964956_thumb.j

post-90608-0-26654900-1451964998_thumb.j

post-90608-0-75037900-1451965032_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from a Thai that next year they will start building a rail link from Songkhla to Had Yai running from Wachira rd using the old rout to Had Yai. It will not go all the way to the old Songkhla station just to Wachira were the ticketing office is.

• 1 month later...

Here is a 20-minute video in Thai that interviews old-timers about the history of the station, why the service was discontinued, and so on.

It's in Thai, but it's in Central Thai and they speak clearly. They have some nice images of the station, including black and white video, taken before it closed in 1978.

I find it very hard to believe there are any plans afoot to resume this service, but I will ask around...

Archived