File Invalid

Valentine

I am seeing this part way through some TV shows I download. Never used to see it. All of a sudden "file invalid" pops up & stops the show after which have to fast forward past it to keep viewing. I use Vuze & generally try to download from eztv as my first preference or ettv.

Are you completely downloading the file, then viewing the media, or

Having a Vuze plugin start the download and viewing the media while it's downloading?

No. When download complete I copy to USB drive which I then use with my TV so MJCM's comment about using VLC, which I have on my PC, does not apply. The problem could stem from one of the seeders although I do not understand the technicalities of torrent downloads, As I said in the OP I generally download from eztv or ettv which seem to be the most popular places to download from.

Are you completely downloading the file, then viewing the media, or

Having a Vuze plugin start the download and viewing the media while it's downloading?

No. When download complete I copy to USB drive which I then use with my TV so MJCM's comment about using VLC, which I have on my PC, does not apply. The problem could stem from one of the seeders although I do not understand the technicalities of torrent downloads, As I said in the OP I generally download from eztv or ettv which seem to be the most popular places to download from.

I think the only solution would be what I said in a previous post, or to find another source.

<snip>

Edit: It could be that the file uploaded already had that fault in it, but to know for sure you have to download it again and see if has the same error.

[...] The problem could stem from one of the seeders although I do not understand the technicalities of torrent downloads, As I said in the OP I generally download from eztv or ettv which seem to be the most popular places to download from.

As all torrent files are tagged and 'hashed' when uploaded and completed download files are checked against these to verify them as exact copies of the original file.

It may be possible that some of the recent files you've downloaded were corrupt before being uploaded, but I would think this would be immediately reflected in the torrent comments associated online with those files. Users are pretty quick to report issues.

More likely the codec or compression scheme being used to reduce the file size before uploading is causing your media playback to error out. Most media players are programmed to cope with common stream encoding errors but players are better at it than others. You may want to visit a forum dedicated to media player and see if any comments are being made that match your current issues.

The great thing about eztv or ettv is that they tend to post the program as captured from the originating digital source. Though, cutting out advertising does induce it's own errors.

I do not understand the technicalities of torrent downloads

They have hash table that must match..

Then the torrent is split in to blocks.. if you download corrupted or incomplete data the torrent program will drop the data. You can see how much is wasted in the download info..

Just use VLC or XBMC. Its clearly your video player causing the issue or your set up.

Edited by Sayonarax