Am I good to go? (non-imm o based on marriage - Savannakhet)

It makes it a bit of rush in the morning from Mukdahan because the Lao VOA offices does not open until 8 am.

I think to the first bus to Savannakhet leaves at 7 am from Mukdahan.

I would stay in Savannakhet to avoid the early morning rush.

• Like 1

I almost converted to a 90 day O in Chiang Mai, but was turned away (not enough days left).

However...

I just returned from Savannakhet and got the 90 day O (I wrote on my application that I was retiring in Thailand and would be later getting the extension.) I gave them my visa application (you either download and fill it out before you arrive or the "standbys" will help you for 40 baht. Two Photos, copy of passport and a copy of "Affidavit of Income" from my Embassy. (I kept the original in my hand for my retirement extension, done later). The officer immediately asked for bank statements. I pulled out six months of statements from my bank in New York. That seemed to immediately satisfy him. After briefly looking at the bank statements, he asked for the 2000 baht payment and handed me a receiptd (number). I returned before 3:30 pm (bring some books or a laptop), and received my passport and visa with no questions. My passport was chock full of visas and entries....no matter.

The only real problem was a fluke. When I entered Laos, they put the full page visa in my passport, and I saw them stamp it. The checker, just before I got on the tuk tuk said I was missing a stamp. I went back and the other officer just pointed at the visa and said "ok ok". I went to all the windows and they said "ok ok". Then I went back to the checker, and she was just confused. She could not find the stamp in all my many pages of stamps and visas. I told her to talk to the man in the booth, and she shook her head and just told me I could go. When I was trying to leave laos, their immigration officer took 20 minutes to examine my passport. I was sure something was wrong. He talked to another man, and my girl said that I was never stamped into Laos. They did admit their mistake....and ran may passport over the bridge for the stamp, so that they could put the exit stamp next to it. They actually apologized (to my girl), and said they had many new people being trained. All forgiven.

Lesson learned. Double check their work...make sure that somebody stamps you in just after you get your visa on arrival into Laos, and paying the 1500 baht. They might let you enter Laos without a stamp, but you are going to sit and wait for them to sort it out when you are trying to leave. Even though you do have the entry visa, already paid , and told you are good to go.

Edited by slipperylobster
  • Like 1

It makes it a bit of rush in the morning from Mukdahan because the Lao VOA offices does not open until 8 am.

When parking our car, my girl was told "No more overnight stayers allowed in Savannakhet". The attendant would not let us pay for overnight parking....only for the day. I am sure she misquoted, or misunderstood. The attendant probably meant...nobody stays overnight because the consulate finishes your visa the same day.

Another tourist told me that it was a new policy. Nobody could stay overnight??? This is something that might not be true. I never really checked into it.

Would anybody else care to comment...true or untrue.

I do not mean to spread a rumor. It sounds ridiculous.

• Like 1

When parking our car, my girl was told "No more overnight stayers allowed in Savannakhet". The attendant would not let us pay for overnight parking....only for the day. I am sure she misquoted, or misunderstood. The attendant probably meant...nobody stays overnight because the consulate finishes your visa the same day.

Another tourist told me that it was a new policy. Nobody could stay overnight??? This is something that might not be true. I never really checked into it.

Would anybody else care to comment...true or untrue.

I do not mean to spread a rumor. It sounds ridiculous.

It certainly sounds absurd. If we are only talking about the parking and that they are not allowing the car to stay overnight, it would sounds it could be possible.

But since we all need to get a visa for Laos to get in there which lasts for a month I can't see how they could not let people stay there? There are many hotels and guesthouses there as well. What if you are saying to them that you might be traveling around Laos for a bit, then return the next day with your new Non Imm Visa, I hardly believe they would refuse you back(?), it's not like Mae Sot or Mae Sai etc where we get a day-pass stamp for the area and no real Visa.

But I'm just as curious as you to hear others input on this.

when queuing at the new Thai consul;ate in Savannaket in the morning - go to the large gates on the left of the building and with the assistance of other friendly farrangs form a defensive semi circle around the gates - this will ensure that the there is no pushing in as witnessed on my recent visit,

Hand over as stated in the commentary above all docs and get your ticket number ( this ticket denotes your passport number not your place in the queue for the afternoon collections) the whole process is painless.

The tuk tuk drivers will take you to a cracking french cafe in the interim between submission and collection if requested

Have fun smile.pngrolleyes.gif

Thanks for the advice. I will be landing in Ubon on Tuesday morning, so I guess I will just get over to the bus station and take a bus to Mukdahan.

Since I won't be in Mukdahan before noon at least I will wait with the embassy until Wednesday. Would you recommend staying in Mukdahan for the Night or go over to Savannakhet and stay there for a night?

I guess it all comes down to when the border opens? (Mukdahan seems very small, but still it looks like more "fun" than Savannakhet, but I've never been to either so I really have no idea).

Up to you, but went through the process on Monday. I stayed in Mukdahan (Ploy Palace - would so it is reasonable) . Went to the Mukdahan bus station around 8 a.m. Got 8:30 bus (buses every hour) and got to the Embassy around 9:20. Submitted paperwork and done by 9:40.

• Like 1

There is a very helpful Thread about obtaining a multiple non-o: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/697299-worry-free-non-o-visa-savannakhet/

You should be able to find all the information you need there. The first post actually covers everything.

Just one thing to mention and maybe somebody else can chime in with definite answer. When I was there ( July 2014 ) they were building / completed an new Thai Consulate and I think I read that they are open now. So on most threads you will find the old location of the Thai Consulate, not the new one

I have to say this link was very helpful indeed!

But I just checked how he filled in the form, and it made me somewhat confused. I would assume he has everything under control since he got the visa and know what he's doing, so that would suggest I'm in the wrong here with my interpretation, so if someone could help me clarify this I would be very thankful:

On the form there is a Date of Arrival In Thailand, Date of a Previous Visit to Thailand, and at the bottom the Date of Application

In his form he wrote: Date of Arrival In Thailand: 25.10.2013

Date of a Previous Visit to Thailand: 26.03.2013

Date of Application: 15.01.2014

I might be a bit stupid, but in my thinking 'Date of Arrival' would suggest the date one plans to enter Thailand again, and the 'Date of Previous Visit' would be for the last stamp in to the Kingdom, no?

But since he wrote both for the year before he made the application, that suggests he wrote the two last stamp of entry that he got in his passport.

Is that the correct way? I really would prefer not to use the guys who happily fill in my form outside of the consulate, even if we are speaking really small cash here it's still just unnecessary unless I'm completely clueless, and I feel that I have it all under control except this little thing I noticed. Perhaps they don't really care, but it would feel better to be 100% sure I fill in the information correct.

Edited by banglassie

I have to say this link was very helpful indeed!

But I just checked how he filled in the form, and it made me somewhat confused. I would assume he has everything under control since he got the visa and know what he's doing, so that would suggest I'm in the wrong here with my interpretation, so if someone could help me clarify this I would be very thankful:

On the form there is a Date of Arrival In Thailand, Date of a Previous Visit to Thailand, and at the bottom the Date of Application

In his form he wrote: Date of Arrival In Thailand: 25.10.2013

Date of a Previous Visit to Thailand: 26.03.2013

Date of Application: 15.01.2014

I might be a bit stupid, but in my thinking 'Date of Arrival' would suggest the date one plans to enter Thailand again, and the 'Date of Previous Visit' would be for the last stamp in to the Kingdom, no?

But since he wrote both for the year before he made the application, that suggests he wrote the two last stamp of entry that he got in his passport.

Is that the correct way? I really would prefer not to use the guys who happily fill in my form outside of the consulate, even if we are speaking really small cash here it's still just unnecessary unless I'm completely clueless, and I feel that I have it all under control except this little thing I noticed. Perhaps they don't really care, but it would feel better to be 100% sure I fill in the information correct.

The date of arrival should be the date you plan on entering after you get your visa.

The example is wrong.

• Like 1