Phuket Gazette email notifications.

NomadJoe

Now that Thaivisa doesn't seem to be posting stories from Phuket Gazette anymore, (a shame since they do a much better job than their competitors, imo) I went to change my settings on the PG website only to find out I already had it set that way. Gmail was marking them as spam,but they weren't even going into the spam folder. They weren't in any folder and could only be found by using the search feature. So I hunt around but cannot find any way to mark them as safe, other than, according to one source I found, adding the email addresses into contacts, a pain in the ass since each section of the Gazette online uses a different email to deliver the notification. So that is done now and lets see if it's fixed. I am wondering if anyone else is having these kinds of problems. I suspect that PG's emails got flagged as "spam" by a lot of users when they had that problem a while back when 100's of duplicate emails were being sent at once to the same recipient.

PG was originating spam at some point. Not sure if they were selling the email addresses or local spammer advertisers were simply copying the email addresses from their directory. After that I did not really care about their emails anymore.

Gmail learns when people mark PG originated emails as spam and normally simply moves the emails to the spam folder for all of the users, if there has been enough people doing the same.

You should however be able to create a filter & rule, which forces the PG originated emails to be on your inbox and not being marked as archived. Define @phuketgazette.net as source address. That should apply to all of their email addresses.

Why not just open their web site to read the stories?

One general reason is that current day news websites often make it difficult to find the latest news. PG is not too bad, compared to for example TPN.

I prefer reading the latest news headlines from RSS feeds and then open the articles which might be interesting. I very rarely go to the front pages of any news websites anymore.

^The RSS feeds were my preferred option too, using MS Outlook. The problem is that since PG revamped their site five or six months ago, those feeds now (1) do not incorporate the story within the feed (so, headlines only), so they have to be opened back to the internet PG site; and (2) for some reason, the feeds sometimes include only the link and even the headline is missing. (Whereas, the unmentionable site continues to provide both the headline and the linked story in its feeds, so that all can be read conveniently - without having to refer back to the internet site.)