Hide-My-IP.com Problems?

zen4dummies

Is anyone having problems with download speed when using Hide-My-IP? My download speed goes down to almost nothing. The Hide-My-IP support people are not doing my any good. I use True Online cable with one of their Technicolor cable modems.

The slow speeds happen with both cable connected and wifi connected computers.

thanks for any info.

zen

HTTP or Bit-torrent downloading?

Good question: Bittorrents seem to be about the same with or without hiding but they do not operate at a real high speed. When I un-throttled bittorrent it took off up to 200kbps. At the same time I ran the True Internet Speed Test (Ookla) http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ and got the following results. Still better than a high bittorrent download.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 559 kbps (69.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 156 kbps (19.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 593 ms

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 2:45:24 PM

What your question brought to mind is that when I do an un-throttled bittorrent download and then in another window do a Google search I might get a message that tells me that due to my high traffic they suspect that I am a robot and I have to enter a 'captcha' code before it will give me my search results. I suspected that this is something Google does. Do you think these two things (the captcha request and the slow download) are related?

Thanks, zen

I found since using Zen Mate my download speeds have gone up. I can also select the UK so can watch the BBC. I use it with Chrome. A free app.

Let me ignore Bittorrent downloads for the time being. They are not a problem.

Hide-My-IP slowed downloads down slow on both Chrome and IE10 when HMIP was actively hiding an IP but not when it was just loaded. I loaded Zenmate and Chrome reacted the same: It was slower when Zenmate was active.

Results from http://speedtest.trueinternet.co.th/ :

Zenmate Active

Download Speed: 1260 kbps (157.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 453 kbps (56.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 883 ms

10/15/2014, 3:21:58 PM

Zenmate Inactive

Download Speed: 15891 kbps (1986.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 1058 kbps (132.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 16 ms

10/15/2014, 3:30:35 PM

[...] when I do an un-throttled bittorrent download and then in another window do a Google search I might get a message that tells me that due to my high traffic they suspect that I am a robot and I have to enter a 'captcha' code before it will give me my search results. I suspected that this is something Google does. Do you think these two things (the captcha request and the slow download) are related?

Thanks, zen

When employing a service like HideMyAss, HideMyIP, ZenMate, or Hola!, you are essentially using a PROXY service where your current Internet traffic is redirected to Originate and be Received from a distant IP Address acting on your behalf. This same distant IP address is also used by the same service for anyone needing their Internet requests to appear to originate in that country.

So, a lot of different people using the same originating IP address.

Google services are programmed to detect against potential hacking and automated search activities that negatively affect their service, but don't always whitelist known Proxy Service gateways.

Sometimes Google gives the option the enter the 'Captcha Code' to allow your 'session' to proceed. Other times it just plain rejects the connections with a dead-end redirection page.

That's the known downside of using pseudo proxy services.

Thanks for the info. I am sure that there will be some slowing down but it shouldn't be cut it down so much. While testing with HMIP I suddenly had full speed with the IP hidden. A bit more testing (with Chrome and Zenmate) brought things back down again. I think that I will try a VPN.

Thanks for your info guys.

Hide-My-IP suggested that I look at the Windows firewall setting: Control Panel(Category View)/System and Security/Allow a program through Windows Firewall and allow Hide-My-IP through. After some playing around with those settings things started working.

Hopefully this is going to work.

zen