Visa twist at Suvanabuhmi airport

You need to get moving if you want to a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to get it done.

You will need to show the same financial proof that you needed for your extension.

Hi Ubonjoe, I'm going to Cambodia hoping to get another year on my "A-O Non immigrant" which expires on the 31stOct...

what do I need to show the Border Officers?

Thanks,

Ensure that you write the Visa number on the arrival card.

Are you a 'Thai Visa Service' ? I ask this because you say "ensure that you write the Visa number on the arrival card". The arrival card does specifically ask for the 'Visa number', but as the OP stated the Immigration Officer was asking for the 'Re-Entry PERMIT Number' not the number of his original Non 'O' Visa. It's no wonder there is a great deal of confusion on Visa/Permit/Extension issues. I was once berated by Immigration at Swampy for writing my Non 'O' visa number (and not the Re-entry permit number) on the arrival card. The arrival card should be re-printed with the correct wording!!!

I am on a non-o with extension to stay due to retirement that expires on Jan 15th 2015 . I am going back to USA in a few weeks so will pick up re-entry permit before I leave. I won't return till end of Feb 2015 so my extension due to retirement will have expired . Will I have a problem getting back in or can I have Thai consulate in USA extend my permission to stay?

You will need a new visa. No consulate or embassy can extend a permission to stay.

Not to me, to my Aussie friend.

He may have been asked to produce more documents like a ticket or hotel or generally they made it difficult and he gave up.

Reportedly this can be the stance at Jomtien when not meeting certain demands.

He can probably try again, better if accompanied with an educated Thai, respectfully showing them a copy of the new regulations in Thai.

I like that, having to explain their own rules to them. I once tried that at Nong Khai immigration. I was curtly told that the decision of the immigration officer is final, and presumably can override the rules. This was on my first attempt to put the wife on a 12mth retirement basis. I was told NO WAY. As I mentioned before on the forum I did eventually get it but had to oil the works. It may have changed over the years, it was difficult to see how the antics could carry on the way they were.

In the need to "start over" an option is to use the two step system which does not require getting a new O visa abroad.

Step 1:

Conversion of entry stamp or tourist visa to O visa (90 day stay only) which can be done at Thai immigration offices that offer this service.

In case your local office does not, step 1 can be done in Bangkok. Proof of financial qualification for later extension application needed for this step (except for money seasoning, not needed yet).

Step 2:

As normal, application for annual extension of stay based on retirement at your local immigration office. Of course to start in the extension system you must first have an O visa. Step 1 satisfies that equally as well as a new O visa from abroad.

I think it is not always possible to get single entry O visas from home countries for eventual retirement purposes (they will often push the O-A visa instead).

Many people also get single entry O visas for this purpose in Laos, Malaysia, and lately I've heard Cambodia.

Cheers.

Edited by Jingthing

I like that, having to explain their own rules to them. I once tried that at Nong Khai immigration. I was curtly told that the decision of the immigration officer is final, and presumably can override the rules. This was on my first attempt to put the wife on a 12mth retirement basis. I was told NO WAY. As I mentioned before on the forum I did eventually get it but had to oil the works. It may have changed over the years, it was difficult to see how the antics could carry on the way they were.

No case is like another, it doesn't hurt to bring it at the next level and courteously let them know that you know they are in the wrong - when it's the case.

You need to get moving if you want to a conversion to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration. You must have 15 days remaining on your entry to get it done.

You will need to show the same financial proof that you needed for your extension.

Hi Ubonjoe, I'm going to Cambodia hoping to get another year on my "A-O Non immigrant" which expires on the 31stOct...

Thanks,

Are you a 'Thai Visa Service' ? I ask this because you say "ensure that you write the Visa number on the arrival card". The arrival card does specifically ask for the 'Visa number', but as the OP stated the Immigration Officer was asking for the 'Re-Entry PERMIT Number' not the number of his original Non 'O' Visa. It's no wonder there is a great deal of confusion on Visa/Permit/Extension issues. I was once berated by Immigration at Swampy for writing my Non 'O' visa number (and not the Re-entry permit number) on the arrival card. The arrival card should be re-printed with the correct wording!!!

He gave the correct answer for the post he was replying to. That was for the OA visa question wrongly written as A-O.

Thanks,

regadring the arrival card, one is well advised to cross out "visa number" and replace it by "re-entry" to avoid getting a 30 day stamp and the extension of stay nullified by it.

Even then, there is still time to get the date corrected at the airport or at an immigration office, but

I prefer to tell the officer that I'm coming back on a re-rentry,

Just arrived today with a multiple retirement visa, off to the philipines in December, will I need to visit any additional re entry permit at jomtiem ?attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Since you have a OA visa you will not need a re-entry permit until after your visa expires.

You will get one year entries up to the enter before date on your visa.

Is it asking too much that a process rethink might consider -

• tasking the immigration officer at point of exit - when seeing what clearly is an annual retirement extension in the passport - to specifically draw attention to the possible need for a re-entry permit, and / or
  • a facility at immigration on arrival back in LOS to allow an individual (like the OP) to re-enter, but with some kind of premium addded to a "retrospective" re-entry permit (to cover the cost of the extra admin and nuisance, which in itself would encourage buying the re-entry permit at the correct time and at a lower cost).

Would this not be more reasonable, and remove the unnecessary hassle, aggravation and cost? People should follow rules but they also make human mistakes.

Is there an official feedback loop for the "customer" to Immigration?

Great idea.

And while we are considering this, why not demand that we all get a personal Policeman to hold our hands when crossing the road?

Patrick

Why oh why do you even require a "re-entry permit"....it is simply a money making crock of BS

If you have a retirement visa (extension of stay) valid until such and such a date..and you leave Thailand for a short or extended holiday.and return BEFORE the expiry date of said visa...that should be the end of the matter.

The mere fact that you have for all to see an "out" stamp from airport immi...an "in" and an "out" stamp from where the country you visited....and (once these are shown to Thai Immi at the airport on the way back "in")..you should then simply receive the "in" stamp....and be on your way...... all of the information is there to read in your PP...expiry date of current visa...in and out stamps...so why another piece of paper and payment?

A permit to re-enter....total BS

So..say a tourist visits Thailand in March for the month.....has a delightful holiday...intends returning later in the same year....does said tourist then need a permit to re-enter Thailand.....?.....(emphasis on re-enter)...said tourist is in fact "re-entering" Thailand.

Okay so I am splitting hairs....different conditions relate to the visa types...but this "re-entry" thing is hogwash

Yes it is a pain but go ahead and leave without one if required and see what a pain is. It is there rules tuff

Thanks,

For some people it would be the visa for those of us on extension of stay we do not have a visa and you put the number of the re-entry permit in its place as that is what allows you back in Thailand

Solution is to get a multi re-entry permit at the same time as getting the 'extension', then you are covered for all eventualities, as perhaps you might have to leave quickly to deal with a problem in ones own country. At 3,800Bt its not what you can call expensive, given the peace of mind you will have

Thanks,

Nothing more than your passport and your arrival card with the visa number written in the space for it.

Check you stamp to be sure they stamped you in for a year.

Thank you.

Have a Good Day.

when you have an extension visa, when you go abroad you need a reentry visa (it depend of what u need ...single or multiple) document otherwise you loose the one you had running....

i mean, i dont want to be impolite but everybody having the foot in the ground knows that, you dont need to make a post here for such a thing.

cheers

hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ.

Extension's are NOT Visa's, Re-entry are NOT Visa's....you are only making things even more confusing for the uneducated, I request that you use the correct & proper terminology

" I don't want to be impolite but everybody having the foot in the ground knows that"

*climbs back on his barstool*

Thanks,

Hi Ubonjoe, my 1st extension of stay based on retirement expires Dec 12th 2014. I am in Cambo and will return Dec 5th. I believe i read hear before that i will get a stamped back in for another year? Is this true? Thanks

Hi Ubonjoe, my 1st extension of stay based on retirement expires Dec 12th 2014. I am in Cambo and will return Dec 5th. I believe i read hear before that i will get a stamped back in for another year? Is this true? Thanks

If you got a re-entry permit you will be allowed until dec 12th and would need to obtain a new one at immigration. If you don't, it has been cancelled when you left and you need to start again with a non-imm visa.

In no case you would be "stamped for another year".

Thanks,

You do not have a OA visa you have an extension of stay based upon retirement. You will only get an entry to the 12th of December using your re-entry permit, If look at it you will see that it expires on the 12th.

You will need to apply for another extension before the 12th.