New Camera drone looks pretty hot

Yme

Late last year I bought a DJI Phantom 2 Vision similar to the one that Richard Barrow uses.

I had nothing but problems with it and after it spent most of the first six months allegedly being repaired (in reality never left the retailers shop) I got a full refund after threatening to sue them.

Every time I put the thing up the camera view would fail even at short distances.

I've been looking for a new camera drone ever since and stumbled across this one being made up in Canada. Looks pretty cool.

Not overly keen on the backpack, but that's a personal thing. I like that the undercarriage is retractable and won't get into shots.

Definitely more expensive than the DJI as you need to add your own camera, but they do have their own gimble. It also uses Bluetooth and a signal booster so it shouldn't be as prone to ioss of camera view as the DJI.

Hopefully better support too.

Anyway, check it out if your interested in this sort of thing. Looks like the first units will be shipping in March http://igg.me/at/plexidrone/x/8856748

And here's a photo to whet your appetite.

Anyone with good knowledge on the power of WiFI versus Bluetooth?

post-134656-0-76856500-1413369203_thumb.

I just know I'll get one of these things and fly it straight into someone's face.

I can just feel it.

Hopefully it will only be my face, but it will be a face all the same. Possibly with additional head injuries.

Can you fit a GoPro to this one?

• Like 1

I just know I'll get one of these things and fly it straight into someone's face.

I can just feel it.

Hopefully it will only be my face, but it will be a face all the same. Possibly with additional head injuries.

Can you fit a GoPro to this one?

It takes a GoPro, a bubblecam or a Sony action cam. There's even a claw grip if you want to practice your bombardier skills :)

As long as the Bluetooth camera view link and their support is better than DJI it will be on my shopping list :)

The link I posted is where they are offering all of their pre-release advance purchase deals and they're offering different combinations each couple of days

• Like 1

How Much?

I want one, even though I don't need one.

Available April 2015. Pre-orders US$979. This is for the one with gimbal for GoPro.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plexidrone-making-aerial-photography-a-breeze/contributions/new?perk_amt=979&perk_id=2384888

Or even $799 . . . without the carry case!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/plexidrone-making-aerial-photography-a-breeze/contributions/new?perk_amt=799&perk_id=2389551

Edited by MJP

If they evetually become cheap enough, it will be good and bad. Bad - the air over the beaches will be full of noisy drones operated by perverts. :) Good - someone is bound to licence Drone Wars, indoor auditoriums where addicts can join in battles in the air, and that would be cool to watch. I want a drone designed like the greatest plane of all time, the Spitfire.

How many hours are needed to fly a drone competently?

At the moment, in Blighty, you need to complete and I guess pass a CAA drone course if you want to use the thing for commercial work.

http://www.eurousc.com/pilot-qualification-(bnuc-std).html

It's not how many hours are need to fly a drone competently that worry me. It's how many drones (crashes) it takes to learn to fly a drone competently.

Looks impressive, plus good pricing, though crowdfunding so slight risk.

Sceptical about bluetooth if that is what is really used, it is shorter range than wifi normally.

Heard great things about the dji phantom and been highly tempted, though your experience needs consideration too.

Developer friendly on the plex sounds interesting...

I have the Dji phantom 2 vision. Never had any problems.

Very easy to fly straight from the box. Never had any problems with the camera. Just make sure you set the GPS homing device properly before takeoff and it will come back if it loses the signal which has happened to me a couple of times when flying upto 150m or around tall trees

Something to consider and is to get a simulator first. You can then get a feel of operating one without the pain of destroying it. smile.png Most will work with an actual R/C controller that you would use in the field. Some info below:

In my experience, 50% of beginners totally destroy their RC aircraft in the first week. About 25% destroy them in their first flight. This is a costly exercise, as the typical FPV-capable drone start at around $300 and may cost up to $3000. It does make sense to have some form of FPV (First Person View) and line-of-sight flying Practice without risking a huge investment in money (and time waiting for the goods to arrive).

preflightsim.com

There are versions that will allow you to use an android tablet or phone as the controller for the simulator. Also, quad sims for android and iOS.

http://www.preflightsim.com/

quadcopters.co.uk

phoenixrc - considered one of the best.

These are captures from the simulator software but the realism is remarkable.

And yes, I've been looking into having one myself for quite a while now. biggrin.png

• Like 2

I have the Dji phantom 2 vision. Never had any problems.

Very easy to fly straight from the box. Never had any problems with the camera. Just make sure you set the GPS homing device properly before takeoff and it will come back if it loses the signal which has happened to me a couple of times when flying upto 150m or around tall trees

I used to fly Piper Cherokee's, doesn't mean I wouldn't likely fly a drone thing into someone's head.

Tywais! Genius!!!!

Looks impressive, plus good pricing, though crowdfunding so slight risk.

Sceptical about bluetooth if that is what is really used, it is shorter range than wifi normally.

Heard great things about the dji phantom and been highly tempted, though your experience needs consideration too.

Developer friendly on the plex sounds interesting...

Umm, not exactly correct. Bluetooth can reliably transmit over one mile and this company claims 28 miles http://www.engadget.com/2006/11/22/aircable-offers-up-28-mile-bluetooth-range-extender/

From what I've read Bluetooth is less prone to interference also.

As for DJI, some people have been lucky. Mine was a total piece of cr*p and their support from Hong Kong or the USA was abysmal. I've seen other people with the Phantom 2 Vision+ also losing their WiFi FPV at just short distances in open areas as well. Personally I'm glad I was able to get my money back on it.

This one http://igg.me/at/plexidrone/x/8856748 runs straight off an Android or iOS phone so no need to have the phone attached to a RC unit like the DJI either. Something I always found to be a bit cumbersome and over balance the RC unit.

Some nice small units on some of the other links in this thread tho.

• 1 month later...