App for Cert of Residence, Told that TM 30 is Required?

Good evening all,
Thanks ahead of time for your help! My gf (citizen of USA) went to Nakhon Phanom's immigration today in an attempt to get a "Certificate of Residence" so that she can purchase a motorcycle. She had already filled out her application, but since we didn't have access to a printer we decided to just fill out the form once we got there (mistake?).

We thought that all she needed was her passport, TM6, photos, money and a copy of our rental agreement. However, after a very confusing (we don't speak any Thai unsure.png) and somewhat lengthy conversation with the immigration officer she was handed TM 30 forms and told to come back tomorrow with our landlord.

Is this all a misunderstanding? Should we print out the TM18 ahead of time and just try again tomorrow?

Also, what is a TM 30? From what I can find online it seems like something that Hotels are supposed to fill out, not tourists.

Thanks for your help! It is much appreciated :)

He/She (The owner of the residence) must notify (by the Form TM.30) to the competent official Of the Immigration Office located in the same area of that house/residence within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien. However, such notification could be made in person or by an agent or sent with completed Form( TM.30) by registered post.

Seems to have been overlooked.

fill in forms before hand then if needed cuff the owner and drag himm to immo.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

Thank you both for your responses!

We went back to Nakhon Phanom immigration today with our landlord. We printed out the form provided by ubonjoe (thank you) and brought along all of the other documentation (we thought was) required.

Upon arrival we gave the immigration officer (same one as yesterday) my gf's application forms, which the officer quickly shoved back at us. First she wanted the TM 30 form. Our landlord began speaking with the officer and they went back and forth talking and signing documents related to the TM 30. Each time we tried to give her the application form she told us, "No no no no no! Wrong form!".

Long, LONG, story short... my gf ended up with a thick pile of papers stapled to the back of a TM 30 (including a copy of her passport, a copy of our landlord's ID, etc). We figured that we would just give them the benefit of the doubt that the pile of papers handed to us actually was the "Certificate of Residence". However, we told them that she still need two copies, one to get her drivers' license and the other to purchase a motorcycle. They told us that she should just copy it and give the copy to whichever official or business needed it and to keep the original for herself. They never took her application, photos or money.

Can anyone shed some light on what happened? Did they give us the proper "Certificate of Residence"?

Only been here a few weeks, but geez.. We really need to learn Thai wacko.png

Edited by elVagabundo

Normally a certificate of residence is is letter on immigration letter head with a photo attached.

Unless the immigration office knows that what they gave you will be accepted by the local drivers license and registration offices will accept it seems unusual.

Can anyone shed some light on what happened? Did they give us the proper "Certificate of Residence"?

Look again what you have, a pile of papers is not a certificate of residence. It is an swingle sheet official looking document dated and stamped, it may have your picture too.

Offices are not happy about releasing it because there is no fee that they can officially charge. So they charge a local fee. Check with your office if money is the issue.

Be advise that unless the the DLT is exceptionally friendly they will want originals not copies for each transaction you do with them.

I got a certificate today just gave them the form, passport and a 2 pictures

The only problem was it took 5 attempts to get it correct, lucky I took somebody with me that could check it for me I did explain that it was for a UK passport and they could not use Tippex to correct there mistakes, so they had to keep printing of the forms and in the end I had to give them 5 pictures lucky it was all done in good humor

Just to put a cap on my original post, we went to a Honda dealership with our "pile of papers" and drove away with a new bike :). At first they didn't seem like they were going to take them (as the pile really isn't a Certificate of Residence), but our English speaking Thai friend that we brought along seemed to have pursaded them otherwise. Not sure how it will go over with the DLT.. hopefully our "luck" continues.

Thanks again for your input! wai.gif