Holiday Visa for Thai Fiancee (We Both Live In Thailand)

Hello. I was wondering if anyone could give me a little advice about holiday visas for the UK.

Me (UK citizen) and my fiancee (Thai citizen) are both English teachers at the same Thai government school and this is where we met. We have both been at the school for 2.5 years and been in a relationship for most of this time. We are planning to marry in the next year or two but i would really like to take her to visit my home first during the school holidays next April. We will be staying with my parents who have kindly offered to provide accommodation and any documents needed for the visa application (they are comfortably well off). Her salary is a Thai teachers salary, which as we all know is modest but steady although her father has offered to put money into her bank account for the application (i'm not sure if this is helpful or not)

In summary we have

Me: around £3000

Gf: £1000 + £2000 from father

My Parents: Can show bank accounts with a lot more than this

What is the best way to make this application?

Can my parents 'sponsor' the trip?

Does the £2000 from her father have to be in the account for a certain amount of time?

We are only planning on staying 3 week but it all seems a bit of a nightmare!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

UK visit visa basics should answer most of your questions.

If there is anything you are unsure of after reading that, feel free to ask.

A couple of points, though.

Large, unexplained deposits into an applicants bank account can arouse the ECOs suspicions; so if her father is going to give her money to help pay for the trip then she should explain where this money has come from and what it is for. A letter from him, it can be in Thai, confirming this may help.

You ask if your parents can sponsor her trip.

If you mean pay for it; yes. But they need to provide the financial evidence outlined in the pinned topic linked to above to show that they have the means to do so and should say in their invitation letter that they are doing so as well as offering accommodation.

If by sponsor you mean the person supporting the application, as one would sponsor a new member to a club for example, then this will be you.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

I don't see that your girlfriend would have a problem being issued with a visit visa in the circumstances you describe.

She has stable employment and providing she can provide evidence of her job and that the holiday would fit into her normal work pattern, that should satisfy the Entry Clearance Officer of her ties to her home country.

She should also supply details of her home here in Thailand, if you live together and can provide evidence of an ongoing relationship, that would help re-enforce her position.

She needs to satisfy the ECO that the visit is genuine and affordable, from what you have described it appears to be and yes your parents can provide financial support. If her father wants to give her some money towards the trip then she should say so and why, there is no need to deposit funds in her bank account for any specific time, but if he does she should indicate so in her covering letter, not just add the funds.

If you have any further questions feel free to ask, but in the meantime you might find this helpful uk-visit-visa-basics

• Like 1

OP ..I think you will be fine....My trip with gf was to AU but some of the requirements would be same.

Compelling reason to return is important. Your gf has a job which is a plus. Mine didn't. In addition family ties, pictures etc.

If she is renting then copy of her house book/lease.

Yours also. Plane tickets with return good.

You can build her bank book up a bit. Can be a loan from your parents. Money in her account is important. I can understand this.

Itinerary is good idea. You can do a stat declaration at embassy (in case of au application) . Guess same for UK.

This is better than just a letter.

I'm about to help her with second application.

Its worth the Hassel. Have a ball . Good luck. PM if you have any questions. Cheers

OP ..I think you will be fine....My trip with gf was to AU but some of the requirements would be same.

Compelling reason to return is important. Your gf has a job which is a plus. Mine didn't. In addition family ties, pictures etc.

If she is renting then copy of her house book/lease.

Yours also. Plane tickets with return good.

You can build her bank book up a bit. Can be a loan from your parents. Money in her account is important. I can understand this.

Itinerary is good idea. You can do a stat declaration at embassy (in case of au application) . Guess same for UK.

This is better than just a letter.

I'm about to help her with second application.

Its worth the Hassel. Have a ball . Good luck. PM if you have any questions. Cheers

Whilst it's always helpful to share our experiences, it's worth noting that not all countries are the same.

Yes, as has been pointed out in the first two posts, compelling reasons to return are vital, and the OP's partner seems to have this.

Also, as has already been pointed out, evidence that you live together, if that's the case, would help, if you don't, then yes, evidence of her accommodation would certainly help prove her ties to Thailand.

Purchasing return flight tickets before the application is submitted are not a good idea, in fact the UKVI specifically advise against purchasing non-refundable flights until the visa is issued.

Money in an account is not important, in fact building up funds before an application can be counter productive. Just be straight with her financial position and provide evidence, from the sources you have mentioned, that the trip is affordable.

There is no such thing as a statutory declaration with UK visa applications, a covering letter from you and your girlfriend outlining everything you have previously mentioned is all that is needed.

• Like 1

I take your point about my comments were already covered. However I avoid making absolute statements like "money in the account is not important"

Not having any money in her account is not a deal breaker but as far as AU appliciations, it is considered relevant. And yes I know the op is UK.

As for the return tickets ...yes every embassy would advise against purchasing.......however the op,s gf has an excellent prospect of obtaining a visa. The return tickets travelling together is useful ......again not necessary but useful. My gf a pplication, all be it to AU, was done by lot of asking and not just on TV.

It helps to paint an honest true picture and the more you can place in application the better.

I suggest the op also read a very good website called something like "visa for Thai gf" It is written by an Australian but helpful for most other countries

With respect, jacksam, I appreciate that you are trying to help the OP; but different countries have different requirements.

What is needed for an Australian visa is not the same as what is needed for a UK one; and vice versa.

UK visit visa applicants do need to show that they have sufficient funds available to them to cover all the costs of the visit; but this money does not have to be in their account. It can be in their sponsor's, if any, or that of a third party.

The UKVI recommend that applicants do not purchase tickets until after the visa has been granted.

There is, though, no reason why a UK visit visa applicant should not go against this advice and purchase one anyway; but it will not help with the application.

A return ticket is not seen by UKVI as a reason to return. Their view is that if one were attempting to enter the UK for a purpose other than that stated in the application, illegal working for example, then losing the cost of the return part of a ticket would be seen as an acceptable expense!

From what I have read of Australian visa applications here, I would surmise that obtaining a UK visa is easier and requires less in the way of evidence than obtaining an Australian one.

Fair enough 7by7 .... I think I may be narrow on this.

My gf used to work bar. As a result I struggled with the "compelling reason to return" . As a result I used everything I could (without lying) think as a result I tried to include everything I could. Even letter from her mother wishing her lovely holiday and safe return...Basically anything. Good for the OP he is travelling with Hus gf. I was in same situation and rightly or wrongly included the return tickets with both names thereon.

Think the op's gf won't have an issue.

Fair enough 7by7 .... I think I may be narrow on this.

My gf used to work bar. As a result I struggled with the "compelling reason to return" . As a result I used everything I could (without lying) think as a result I tried to include everything I could. Even letter from her mother wishing her lovely holiday and safe return...Basically anything. Good for the OP he is travelling with Hus gf. I was in same situation and rightly or wrongly included the return tickets with both names thereon.

Think the op's gf won't have an issue.

My ex-GF used to work in a bar too, but that didn't stop her getting a UK Visitor visa in 2007. As I had a work permit/extension of stay and could financially support the visit, and was able to "prove" the relationship, she got the visa and we had an enjoyable 3 week holiday in the UK. We split up shortly after getting back!

The OP should have no problem whatsoever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Thanks for the amazing feedback and the links which are of great help :)

We have a potential problem, which I would be grateful for your help with. My GF, like myself is an employee of the school and has year long contracts, which end on the 31st of March and I'm worried this could be a problem, despite us having both signed new contract for the previous two years. (We plan to go during the April break)

Would you recommend an ambiguous letter from the school which doesn't state an end of contract?

We think that although the school can't guarantee a contract now... they would write an outstanding recommendation letter e.g. 'we hope she works for us for a long time'

Again, Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,

Nick

Would you recommend an ambiguous letter from the school which doesn't state an end of contract?

The visa section may phone the letter's signatory to confirm it's contents; the more ambiguous the letter, the more they are likely to question it.

Her employment letter should state the truth; e.g. that she has been employed there for x number of years on annual contracts, that her contract has always been renewed each year and that they see no reason why it should not be renewed again when her current one expires in March.

You, obviously, don't need an employment letter as you are not applying for a visa. However, obtaining one for yourself will show that you intend to return to Thailand too and so strengthen her reason to return.

Note that if the letter is written in English they will expect to speak to the signatory in English and will doubt it's authenticity if that person is unable to do so.

If it is written in Thai they will be happy to speak to it's signatory in Thai; though you should include an English translation in the application.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys

I'm sorry to drag this one up again but I have a quick question.

My GF's father is going to give her 80,000 baht to use on the trip and for her masters graduation ceremony (in March).

Should we put this money into her account now with a letter from her dad saying what it is for or should we transfer it in after the application (with letter from her dad now saying that he will be giving her money)

Im thinking if we went for option 2 we need to provide more details about him i.e. payslips, bank accounts etc but i'm conscious of your previous advice that we shouldn't put large amounts into her bank account.

any advice would be great,

Nick

Edited by nick123999

As I said previously

Large, unexplained deposits into an applicants bank account can arouse the ECOs suspicions; so if her father is going to give her money to help pay for the trip then she should explain where this money has come from and what it is for. A letter from him, it can be in Thai, confirming this may help.

The problems don't come from large deposits, they arise due to large unexplained deposits.

I would go for option 1; her dad gives her the money and she explains where it has come from and what it is for in her application. A letter from her dad confirming this can only help.

• Like 2

Addendum to above; it seems that the Bangkok ECOs now want all documents not in English to be accompanied by a certified translation; so if her dad does write a letter he either writes it in English or if he writes it in Thai then have it translated.

See this topic.

Note that the ECO may want to speak to her father to confirm his letter. If the original letter is written in English they will want to speak to him in English and will doubt the authenticity of the letter if he is unable to do so. If the original letter is written in Thai then a Thai speaking member of staff will talk to him in Thai.

Edited by 7by7

From the supporting documents guidance

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be
independently verified by the Home Office. Each translated document must contain:
 confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document;
 the date of the translation;
 the translator's full name and signature; and
 the translator's contact details.